3157 W. 63rd Street,
8 people favorited this theater
The Marquette Theatre was located in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood at S. Kedzie Avenue and W. 63rd Street, just four blocks away from the Colony Theatre on W. 59th Street and S. Kedzie Avenue.
Designed to the plans of architects Henry L. Newhouse & F.M. Bernham it opened on March 23, 1924 with 1,200 seats, all on a stadium plan, with raised stepped section at the rear, rather than a conventional balcony. The central dome in the auditorium ceiling had twinkling stars and drifting clouds. It was equipped with a pipe organ which was removed in 1939. The Marquette Theatre was a project of K.S. Fitzpatrick & Donald McElroy, who operated their own circuit, but leased the Marquette Theatre for 10-years to Balaban & Katz Corp. The Marquette Theatre was operated by the Stern Theater Interests circuit for many years and was closed on January 4, 1981 with Walt Disney’s “The Aristocats”. It was demolished in August 1987 and the site became a parking lot for Walgreens.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.