Roxy Theatre
205 E. Broadway Street,
Brunswick,
MO
65236
205 E. Broadway Street,
Brunswick,
MO
65236
No one has favorited this theater yet
Additional Info
Previous Names: Russell Theatre
Nearby Theaters
The Russell Theatre was opened on July 4, 1923 with Harold Lloyd in “Safety Last”. It was given a Streamline Moderne style makeover in 1935, reopening as the Roxy Theatre on August 3, 1935 with W.C. Fields in “The Man on the Trapeze”. It was destroyed by an explosion on November 24, 1943. The operation was moved across the streetwhich a new ‘Roxy’ theatre was being constructed, which opened as the El-Jon Theatre. The site of the Roxy Theatre is now occupied by Allen’s Dimestore.
Contributed by
Chris1982
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
Destroyed by a fire in 1943.
Actual date of the fire was 12/2.
The Isis and the Russell are two different theaters. The first movie house in town opened as the Isis Theatre with a benefit for the local football team on November 1, 1913 followed by its regular opening on March 4, 1913 with Barney Gilmore as “Kelly From Emerald Island.” The Isis closed April 4, 1925 with “Baffled” and was converted to a retail store.
This entry covers the Russell Theatre turned Roxy. The Russell opened on July 4, 1923 with “Safety Last” with Harold Lloyd. It was hailed as “the biggest picture ever shown in a country town” according to the proprietors. W.S. Owen was deliberate converting to sound to remain viable on February 28, 1930 - behind some of the nearby theaters in other communities.
Elmer and Jonnie Bills bought the Russell in 1935 from H.T. Till. It received a streamline makeover and relaunched on August 3, 1935 as the Roxy Theatre with W.C. Fields in “The Man on the Trapeze.” Just prior to showtimes on November 24, 1943, an explosion took out the Roxy and five adjacent buildings with “So Proudly We Hail” showtimes not taking place that night.
The theatre moved to temporary digs across the street in the Myer Building while the New Roxy - renamed the El-Jon prior to opening after a contest - was prepped for an early 1945 launch. I’d lean for status as mega-demolished.