3308 W. Lawrence Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Ascher Brothers Inc.
Architects: Henry L. Newhouse
Previous Names: Terminal Theatre
This Albany Park neighborhood house was located on Lawrence Avenue near Spaulding Avenue. It opened in 1915 as the Terminal Theatre, and was originally operated by the Ascher Brothers circuit.
In 1925, the Terminal Theatre was renamed the Metro Theatre, after a new and much larger Terminal Theatre opened across the street at 3315 W. Lawrence Avenue.
The theatre was noteworthy because it was only one of a couple of movie houses in Chicago designed with “reverse auditoriums”, where the audience entered at the screen side of the auditorium, facing the rear wall of the auditorium.
The Metro Theatre closed in 1952 and the lobby area was converted into retail space, in addition to existing storefronts in the Metro building. In September 2006, the former auditorium portion of the Metro Theatre collapsed and was razed. In March 2008, the remainder of the building was torn down.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.