Merle Reskin Theatre
60 E. Balbo Drive,
1 person favorited this theater
Merle Reskin Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Shubert Brothers Theater Company
Firms: Marshall & Fox
Functions: Live Theatre
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Blackstone Theatre
The Blackstone Theatre was opened December 31, 1910 with William H. Crane starring in the comedy play “U.S. Minster Bedloe”. It was designed as a playhouse theatre by architectural firm Marshall & Fox in a French Renaissance style. The original seating capacity was for 1,400. It also presented vaudeville, and was sometimes used as a movie theatre. Many famous performers have graced the stage over the years, including: Kathryn Hepburn, Vivien Leigh, Hume Cronyn & Jessica Tandy, Ethel Barrymore, John Barrymore, Helen Hayes, Ruth Gordon & Spencer Tracy. It was operated by the Shubert Organisation from 1948 until 1988, when it was purchased by the DePaul University for their theatre school productions, reopening March 21, 1989.
In 1992 it was renamed Merle Reskin Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.