613 Walnut Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Altmeyer Family Theatre, Altmeyer Theater
The Altmeyer Family Theater launched for the John P. Harris Amusement Company on February 4, 1907 in downtown McKeesport with vaudeville. It was drawn up for Dr. John White who had an Opera House and would have the Hippodrome also in McKeesport. The original Altmeyer Theater that had opened on December 5, 1892 but soon destroyed in a February 6, 1896 fire. (The building that replaced it was subsequently destroyed by a fire.)
On October 12, 1916, the Rowland & Clark Circuit took on both the Altmeyer Theater (the “Family” had pretty much been dropped by that point) and White’s Hippodrome. Rowland & Clark successfully moved the venue from live programming to motion pictures. On May 23, 1926, the venue was re-acquired by the Harris Amusement Circuit and renamed as the Harris-State Theatre.
On April 14, 1930, the Warner Bros. Theatre Circuit took over all of the Harris portfolio including the Harris-State Theater. It is believed that they shuttered the Harris-State Theater and left the Harris Theatre / former Hippodrome vacant until its partial demolition in 1943.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.