Shuraku 1 & 2

2-15 Hinodecho,
Gifu

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previous Names: Shurakukan Theater, Shuraku 70mm Theater + Jiyugekijo, Shuraku 1 & 2

Nearby Theaters

No theaters found within 30 miles

Despite the original building being burned down by the Gifu Air Raids of July 9, 1945, the Gifu Land Development Company began recruiting employees on August 24 of the same year, and opened the Shurakukan Theater in a barracks building in November 1945 as the city’s first “steam-heated” motion picture house after the war. Prior to its opening, there are three movie theaters in downtown Gifu City, which were the Midonokan Theater, Seiunkan, Theater and the Shochikukan Theater.

By 1957, the number of movie theaters expanded to 11 in the heart of downtown. After subsequent renovations, the Shurakukan was converted into a 1,252-seat twin, and 70mm projection was installed in one of the auditoriums. This marks the names “Shuraku 70mm Theater” (752 seats) and “Jiyugekijo” (500 seats, later renamed New Shuraku), showcasing numerous hit foreign and Japanese films.

Since the late 1990s, the auditoriums names were unified as “Shuraku 1 & 2”. Unfortunately due to the multiplex rise comes to the fallout of the Shuraku. During its final two days of operations, both audoitoriums played a number of classics, including “Kramer Vs. Kramer”, “Close Encounters Of The Third Kind”, and “The Barefoot Contessa”.

The Shuraku closed for the final time on April 10, 2006, with Screen 1 screening Al Pacino’s “The Godfather” and Screen 2 screening Gene Kelly’s “Singin' In The Rain” as their final farewell films. Screen 1 last operated with 452 seats while Screen 2 last operated with 180 seats. It was demolished immediately afterward and the Gifu Takashimaya Annex was built on the site of the former building in December of that same year, with the MUJI Gifu Takashimaya store being located inside the building.

Contributed by 50sSNIPES

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

50sSNIPES
50sSNIPES on February 26, 2026 at 7:32 am

On April 3, 1955, the Shuraku was rebuilt as a three-story building with steel-framed reinforced concrete, reopening that day with Edmund Purdom in “The Student Prince” in CinemaScope. As of that time, it originally housed 850 seats as a single-screener. The renovation lasted two months between February 1 and April 2, 1955 with an estimate cost of 35 million yen ($224,305 in USD).

This was also a replacement of an earlier theater called the Shurakukan that opened in 1920, and yes it was the exact theater that got destroyed by the Gifu Air Raids of July 9, 1945. The original building when it reopened in November 1945 is wooden.

The Jiyugekijo auditorium (also known as Free Theater in English) was also a popular first-run house that also runs American blockbusters as well, including “E.T.”, which attracted 100,000 moviegoers over a three-month period between Late 1982 and Early 1983. The Jiyugekijo name lasted until renovation on March 8, 1999, when the auditorium was renamed “Shuraku 2”.

Exactly one day after its final April 10, 2006 closure, it was demolished hours later on April 11.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.