115 Maryland Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Famous Players
Architects: Max Zev Blankstein
Styles: Art Deco
Located on the northeast corner of Maryland Street and Westminster Avenue. The Tivoli Theatre was one of several neighborhood theatres in the city operated by the Famous Players chain. It was opened on November 2, 1927 and a Casavant organ was installed. There was no stage house or orchestra pit and the organ console sat immediately below the screen on the auditorium floor. The interior décor was simplified Art Deco style.
Movie fare was mostly second run double features. Saturday kids matinees consisted usually of serials and cartoons.
The theatre was closed in 1958 and the interior was totally gutted in the conversion to a supermarket. A succession of food markets has occupied the building since then. The early-1950’s era marquee remains with the Tivoli name removed and is used currently to advertise weekly specials on the plastic end panels.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.