Eric Twin Fern Rock Theatre
6017 N. 5th Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Firms: Hodgens & Hill
Previous Names: Fern Rock Theatre
Located on N. 5th Street, across from Fisher Park. Opened as the Fern Rock Theatre on July 9, 1928 with George Sidney in “The Cohens and Kellys in Paris” plus vaudeville on the stage. Independently operated until 1942 when it was taken over by Warner Bros.
The 1,289-seat Fern Rock Theatre was designed by the firm of Hodgens & Hill, whose other Philadelphia theatres include the Frankford Theatre, Roosevelt Theatre, Cambria Theatre, and Admiral Theatre, among many others. The vestibule & foyer were constructed of Spanish stone and solid walnut. The auditorium was in a classic Georgian style with a yellow & gold color scheme. There was extensive use of gold leaf throughout. The auditorium had a huge crystal chandelier in the central dome, which was done entirely in gold leaf. A completely equipped stage and a Wurlitzer organ was installed. The Fern Rock Theatre was initially a vaudeville and moving picture theatre with an eleven piece orchestra. When talkies arrived, vaudeville ceased.
In October 1971, the Fern Rock Theatre was acquired by the Sameric chain, and twinned. The theatre closed on November 8, 1987 with Lisa Schrage in “Prom Night II” & Catherine Mary Stewart in “Nightflyers”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.