RKO Keith's Theatre

135-35 Northern Boulevard,
Flushing, NY 11354

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,293 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on January 28, 2019 at 6:25 pm

If Regal wants to give their patrons ground shaking, wind and rain during the showing of movies, they should really build it inside the Keith. All these elements are already there aren’t they? Regal wanted to build a cinema & a large Imax type screen in the Uptown Theatre in Chicago 2 years ago…But that failed to happened and that was a good thing for the Uptown which now has a new lease on life..

robboehm
robboehm on January 25, 2019 at 6:57 am

All well and good but where are people supposed to park?

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on January 25, 2019 at 6:12 am

Regal Cinemas has signed a 20-year lease deal for a seven-screen theatre within Tangram, a new mixed-use development at 135-15 39th Avenue in downtown Flushing, according to a report in the weekly Queens Courier. More details here

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on November 24, 2017 at 7:27 am

It was de designated at the behest of than Borough President Donald Manes. He voted against upholding designation of the Loews Triboro . He was very anti preservationist. He was a subject of a corruption probe and later committed suicide

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on November 24, 2017 at 7:19 am

“The entire interior of the movie palace used to be a city landmark. However, parts of it were later de-designated by the city’s Board of Estimates, a body that no longer exists, leaving only parts of it — including the grand foyer and ticket lobby — with the status.” Is this accurate? I don’t recall the entire interior ever being designated, and then most of it de-designated. In fact, I don’t remember that ever being mentioned here before. (BTW, it’s “Board of Estimate”)

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 21, 2017 at 8:35 am

Now if this company has any vision they would put their project into the RKO and retain and use the lobby in a grand fashion. Maybe put condos & apartments on top for extra income in case the movie house flops.

optimist008
optimist008 on October 20, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Is their “Screen X” three sided screen similar to the USA Barco screens???

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 19, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Probably two screens for these films and the rest of the same from Hollywood that all the other bland chains show every week. Wonder if will have dine-in options and recliners like seems to be the norm today?. I was at one once and never again. People chewing and talking and sending back the food because it wasn’t warm enough and ordering drinks. Would make Marcus Loew shed a tear!

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on October 18, 2017 at 12:04 pm

It’s a Korean company. And, of course… “When we discovered the opportunity to be an integral part of Tangram, we knew being in this economically vibrant and evolving neighborhood was where our first East Coast movie theater had to be,” said Paul Richardson, COO of CJ CGV. Yep — economically vibrant and evolving neighborhood. Just can’t possibly support refurbishing the Keith’s. Only a new building a couple of blocks away will do. Sad.

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 18, 2017 at 11:06 am

What is new about this concept? Cinerama & theater seats shaking have all been done before 30+ years ago. I knew there was an audience out there in Flushing. It has to be a foreign company to realize it I guess.

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on October 18, 2017 at 8:19 am

Comparing a functioning RKO to this is like comparing a Cadillac with a Kia.

NoUserNameUsed
NoUserNameUsed on September 7, 2017 at 5:52 pm

The RKO Keith’s movie theater was my favorite movie theater, I always looked forward to seeing movies there. And I always looked forward to possibly seeing a ghost in the upper balcony. I know you are going to say I’m a nut, but if you sat in the middle of the largest theater (after they split the theater up to show multiple movies at a time) anyway back to the ghosts, if you sat in the middle about half way up sometimes you would see movement only out of the corner of your eye in the upper right side balcony, but as soon as you turned your head to look they would be gone there was usually more then one person sitting in the balcony it was strange and thought I was seeing things especially since the upper balcony was closed off to the public. I asked a friend to verify what I was seeing and they said that I was crazy but the next that we went to see a movie, they too saw the ghosts as well. So believe it or not that’s one of the reasons that I loved going to the RKO Keith’s movie theater as well as the plush velvet seats ant old world movie theater experience. I MISS THAT WONDERFUL MOVIE THEATER. Michael

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on August 29, 2017 at 4:11 pm

April 19, 1936 photo added credit Percy Loomis Sperr. RKO Keith’s with roof top sign on the right.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 5, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Glad to hear it, BobbyS! Now we just need several million dollars…

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 5, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I’m with you Jeffrey1955!!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 14, 2017 at 10:14 am

Ahem, I’m back…

Signed, Loew’s Kings

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on June 13, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Last word. If it has not been done in 30 plus years it is not happening. If you want to continue to hold onto it please do.I am moving on. I will see the restored lobby when the building is finished. I want to see the restored Brooklyn Paramount which should be great

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on June 13, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Of course the building is unsafe — in its current condition. Of course it would require a huge investment. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible or that there’s nothing left to save. Building a condo/office complex utilizing the air rights rather than demolishing what’s there is not beyond comprehension. Neither is an indoor concert venue in a densely populated area with access to mass transit that currently has none. Pipe dreams simply require someone with imagination to pay for the pipe.

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on June 13, 2017 at 11:35 am

Look at the photo on this page. Are you kidding? I have been in hundreds of theaters over the years as a historian. Many were derelict and some were in better condition than the Keith’s. They all had one thing in common and that is they never reopened . If you think this could ever be brought back as a functioning theater you do indeed believe in pipe dreams.No one in their right mind would sink money into it even if their was interest in it.The building itself may be unsafe . I was in it years ago and you could see that.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on June 13, 2017 at 10:29 am

Also, “there is nothing left to save” is disproved by all the photos that have been posted here.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 12, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I like pipe dreams..The community may not care for it, but could it not remain as a multiplex in some form. Maybe not fully restored, but in a modern type cinema? Movies are still very popular and it is in a dense area from what I see from the airplane above.

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on June 12, 2017 at 8:27 pm

The community does not care about it. The politicians also do not give a hoot.More importantly there is nothing left to save. I worked on saving it during the 80’s . Save what you can as trying to restore the theater as it was is a pipe dream.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 12, 2017 at 7:45 pm

And the saga goes on & on……I will believe it when the ball & crane comes in. Still say the apartments should be built above the theater which could be restored. People need more than the tv or personal screens for entertainment!

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on May 26, 2017 at 10:43 am

Whatever is in the auditorium will go down when they demolish it. Doubt anything will be saved