St. George Theatre

25 Hyatt Street,
St. George, NY 10301

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 9, 2004 at 12:26 pm

The theatre is within easy walking distance from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal that connects with lower Manhattan. The ferry ride takes about 30 minutes each way. The above map shows how to get there via car.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on June 9, 2004 at 11:01 am

Can one visit this theater and how does one get there from NY or NJ?

YMike
YMike on June 9, 2004 at 10:59 am

Any chance when the restoration is finished that they would consider showing classic films?

debr
debr on May 31, 2004 at 8:58 am

Great News! I live in the neighborhood and often walk by the theater. I have been wondering whether any real restoration would ever happen. Thanks for the update!

Vito
Vito on May 31, 2004 at 8:31 am

…..and a new a/c unit is coming, they have to fly it in and install it by helicopter, can not use a crane.
I talked with Rosemary, the new owner, and will meet up with her this week. Update to follow. Meanwhile anyone interested in helping out should call Rosemary at 718 979 1900

Jean
Jean on May 31, 2004 at 8:05 am

“Blues Clues” is slated for an opening at the theatre in December. Seats are being recovered. The roof is being repaired and the bathrooms are being redone. A local plumbing supply company has volunteered its' services. The interior MAY be used in the NEW production of the film version of “The Producers.”

There IS hope yet! YAY!

Stageguy
Stageguy on May 31, 2004 at 6:30 am

Hey folks,

The St. George has been bought by a local business woman. She is investing a lot of money and time to make it a sucess. She is the only person in recent years who has the potential to make it work. Bathrooms have been restored as well as new carpets and repairs to the mezzanine seats. Look for upcomming events planned for this year!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 22, 2004 at 7:26 am

NY telephone numbers no longer use letters of the alphabet. SAi is now 724, and has been for many years.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on May 22, 2004 at 7:16 am

The telephone exchange is SAint George 7, not ST 7 :)

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 22, 2004 at 7:10 am

To the best of my knowledge, this theatre has always been known as St. George, not Saint George. And St. George, not Saint George, has always been the spelling for that section of Staten Island.

Vito
Vito on May 22, 2004 at 3:50 am

Anyway of contacting her?

Jean
Jean on May 22, 2004 at 3:07 am

The theatre has been sold to a local woman who owns a dance studio.

We are hoping she will keep the theatre as a performing arts center. We believe that is her probable intention. I believe the sale went through in April.

Vito
Vito on March 21, 2004 at 4:04 am

Anything new going on with the restoration?

Jean
Jean on February 8, 2004 at 3:53 pm

Deb, please contact me with regard to your interest. In what capacity are you interested in the property? There are many of us who want the theatre to be used as a performing arts center. The owners as of last news want the theatre kept as is as well. They DO want to preserve it and do NOT want it torn down. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me at:

debr
debr on February 8, 2004 at 1:10 pm

I am interested in the current status of the theater. Is the Fabian Theater currently renovating it? I don’t see any activity. I am very interested in this property.

Vito
Vito on January 28, 2004 at 5:49 am

Jean,

Anyone looking for help restoring the theatre can reach me at

Vito

Jean
Jean on January 27, 2004 at 2:30 pm

The theatre later became a part of the Fabian Theatre chain.

Jean
Jean on January 27, 2004 at 1:58 pm

Vito,

I have been trying to locate someone whho is helping to get the theatre up and running again. Presumably she is busy but has not answered my emails. I may call her soon to find out what gives.

Jean

Vito
Vito on January 27, 2004 at 10:44 am

Jean, I was working on the restoration until I started to have serious concerns regarding Stephanie’s ability to bring it all together. I spent many hours in the projection room repairing and replacing broken equipment. When last I was there we were able to show movies again. Every thing in the projection room is working and in fact I ran a short film which we projected onto the stage curtain. The Cinemascope screen has been bolted to the ceiling to prevent it from falling, and one of the three original stage speakers is intact and usable. If anyone ever again shows serious interest in picking up where Stephanie left off I would be interested in helping out again.

Jean
Jean on October 13, 2003 at 9:09 am

The theatre intitially held 2,800 seats though now the orchestra seats are gone. The theatre was later, run by the Fabian chain, which ran other island theatres.

Nestor Castro was the designer.
It is Spanish Baroque in style.

Paramount Pictures filmed the Jack Black film, “School of Rock” in the theatre. The film is out NOW. Check the end of the film for the St.George, which, for the film, became the Palace, I believe.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on October 13, 2003 at 7:07 am

Theatre is at 25 Hyatt Street, a short walk from the Ferry terminal. www.stgeorgetheatre.org

Jean
Jean on October 7, 2003 at 2:41 pm

The theatre is still standing, though the orchestra seats were removed long ago. Most of the theatre is intact, including murals, stained glass, chandeliers, mosaic tiles, fountains, original fabric under reupholstered seats, statues, iron sconces, pink marble staircases. It is glorious! How do I know? I was a volunteer.

Recent news is that it may be donated in return for a 2 million dollar tax write off. At least two not for profit organizations have shown interest.

We are STILL trying to save the theatre in the hope it can be landmarked and kept as a performing arts center.

Jean

Jean
Jean on January 22, 2003 at 2:54 pm

The style is Spanish Baroque.

Christian_Blair
Christian_Blair on September 20, 2002 at 12:31 pm

Please edit/update this listing!

Name: St. George Theatre
Location: St. George, Staten Island, NY
Status:. Leased by St. George Theatre, Inc.
Seats: 2800

The theatre has not “disappeared”.

Details: http://www.stgeorgetheatre.org/

We have a photo to add.

There are no bridal expos twice a year.

We are planning benefit performances around our restoration preparations.

St. George Theatre, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization whose goals are the restoration and revitalization of the St. George Theatre as an entertainment destination, a cornerstone in the revitalization of the town of St. George.

Christian Blair