St. George Theatre

25 Hyatt Street,
St. George, NY 10301

Jean
Jean on January 27, 2004 at 4:30 pm

The theatre later became a part of the Fabian Theatre chain.

Jean
Jean on January 27, 2004 at 3:58 pm

Vito,

I have been trying to locate someone whho is helping to get the theatre up and running again. Presumably she is busy but has not answered my emails. I may call her soon to find out what gives.

Jean

Vito
Vito on January 27, 2004 at 12:44 pm

Jean, I was working on the restoration until I started to have serious concerns regarding Stephanie’s ability to bring it all together. I spent many hours in the projection room repairing and replacing broken equipment. When last I was there we were able to show movies again. Every thing in the projection room is working and in fact I ran a short film which we projected onto the stage curtain. The Cinemascope screen has been bolted to the ceiling to prevent it from falling, and one of the three original stage speakers is intact and usable. If anyone ever again shows serious interest in picking up where Stephanie left off I would be interested in helping out again.

Jean
Jean on October 13, 2003 at 11:09 am

The theatre intitially held 2,800 seats though now the orchestra seats are gone. The theatre was later, run by the Fabian chain, which ran other island theatres.

Nestor Castro was the designer.
It is Spanish Baroque in style.

Paramount Pictures filmed the Jack Black film, “School of Rock” in the theatre. The film is out NOW. Check the end of the film for the St.George, which, for the film, became the Palace, I believe.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on October 13, 2003 at 9:07 am

Theatre is at 25 Hyatt Street, a short walk from the Ferry terminal. www.stgeorgetheatre.org

Jean
Jean on October 7, 2003 at 4:41 pm

The theatre is still standing, though the orchestra seats were removed long ago. Most of the theatre is intact, including murals, stained glass, chandeliers, mosaic tiles, fountains, original fabric under reupholstered seats, statues, iron sconces, pink marble staircases. It is glorious! How do I know? I was a volunteer.

Recent news is that it may be donated in return for a 2 million dollar tax write off. At least two not for profit organizations have shown interest.

We are STILL trying to save the theatre in the hope it can be landmarked and kept as a performing arts center.

Jean

Jean
Jean on January 22, 2003 at 4:54 pm

The style is Spanish Baroque.

Christian_Blair
Christian_Blair on September 20, 2002 at 2:31 pm

Please edit/update this listing!

Name: St. George Theatre
Location: St. George, Staten Island, NY
Status:. Leased by St. George Theatre, Inc.
Seats: 2800

The theatre has not “disappeared”.

Details: http://www.stgeorgetheatre.org/

We have a photo to add.

There are no bridal expos twice a year.

We are planning benefit performances around our restoration preparations.

St. George Theatre, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization whose goals are the restoration and revitalization of the St. George Theatre as an entertainment destination, a cornerstone in the revitalization of the town of St. George.

Christian Blair
36 year old man from Staten Island
Program Director
St. George Theatre

Jean
Jean on September 12, 2002 at 9:26 pm

The theatre is currently being renovated and restored to its' former grandeur. The St.George is seeking volunteers to assist in bringing it back to life!

We are looking forward to seeing it in all its' glory and to open its' doors to live venues!

RobLeddy
RobLeddy on May 7, 2002 at 5:05 pm

Actually this theater never closed officially. There are occasional concerts in the Spring and there are bridal expos twice a year. There is a 24 year old woman from Washington who now has the lease and is attempting to bring it back to its former glory. I’ve heard that air conditioning and fire codes are the main issue right now. The theater itself is in great shape. A grand old movie palace steps from The Staten Island Ferry.

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on March 23, 2002 at 7:17 pm

This theater was designed by Eugene DE Rosa who worked out of Thomas Lamb’s office. It was a theater in the Fabian chain. it was a gorgeous theater & I am really sorry to hear it has vanished

William
William on February 26, 2002 at 7:35 pm

The architect was De Rosa.