Uptown Theatre

4816 North Broadway,
Chicago, IL 60640

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2007 at 3:04 pm

What do you propose as an alternative, more appropriate use of tax dollars, and how does funding projects which benefit the community constitute giving up our freedom?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 19, 2007 at 11:41 am

Whether or not it is up to the City is a matter of debate. But I think all Bruce is saying is that a strong showing from them would make a big difference.

It’s kind of silly to complain about tax dollars. Our tax dollars ideally are put to use on projects that improve and maintain quality of life for us, the taxpayers. I think it can certainly be argued that the Uptown falls into that category, and most definitely a sports stadium. How many thousands of people enjoy going to the new Soldier Field every football season? If you feel differently Scott, prepare your arguments and head for City Hall. But I suggest that your energy is better invested elsewhere.

bruceanthony on November 19, 2007 at 9:47 am

Lets not get sidetracked with a dollar amount. Restoration costs can be highly inflated when many other items such as a parking garage is added. The Pantages in Hollywood cost 12 Million to restore and that was work done only to the theatre. When people talk about restoring the Uptown they should talk about the theatre. It is up to the City to improve parking in the area not the potential buyer. A realistic dollar amount should be discussed about stabalizing the theatre and getting the Uptown operational.The Uptown building is a theatre building and not attatched to an office building like many theatres. I would like to hear a realistic dollar amount to get the Uptown operational and a dollar amount for full restoration just for the theatre. The huge Fox in Oakland is currently under restoration but a bulk of the restoration funds is going toward building a Charter School around the theatre.Reading about the Fox you would think that all this money is being spent on the theatre when only 30 per cent is going to restore the theatre itself.We shouldn’t scare potential buyers about the cost it should be a realistic dollar amount. Full restoration doesn’t have to happen in the beginning it could be done over a period of time. The focus of the Uptown should be to get it stabilized and operational with some cosmetic work done. I think Cablevision would have been more interested if the theatre had at least been operational.brucec

oldjoe on November 18, 2007 at 7:59 am

the restoration number talked about was 90 million – not 40 million this including providing parking to patrons. the city must offer tax breaks for any potential buyer to get serious about making the uptown a viable project

BartHalleman on November 8, 2007 at 7:40 pm

I agree I feel if the City can be involved with the Chicago. What is stopping the restoration of the Uptown. Maybe it could be a good form of income when the Olympics come to Chicago?

andygarner on November 8, 2007 at 2:23 pm

So am I, Lifes too short, Bruces argument makes sound commercial sense(unlike some of the previous well intentioned but dreamers schemes for the Uptown) the building has a future, and CAN be used commercially again, so its over to The City to open up the coffers and start the ball rolling to get the theatre into an operating condition.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 8, 2007 at 2:12 pm

I am impressed Bruce. That is by far the most intelligent argument I have ever seen supporting the notion that the Uptown remains viable as a theatre.

bruceanthony on November 8, 2007 at 9:41 am

The city of Chicago needs to put a little money into the Uptown to interest a potential buyer such as Cablevision. The Uptown is the perfect size of theatre for concerts looking for a midsize venue.The city should offer a major tax credit for a potential buyer. The city needs to stabilize the building and spend a little money to get it in operating shape and then a potential buyer might be interested as Cablevision was. I think the biggest problem Cablevision had was the distance from the Loop because the theatre would have been a cheap buy then antoher 40 million in restoration. Cablevison spent 70 Million restoring Radio City and is currently restoring the Beacon in New York. The midsize concert venue is exploding across the US that why the 7100 seat Nokia was built in LA. The Uptown is located in an improving neigherhood and it one of the largest theatres standing in the US. The Loew’s 175th St in NYC with 3300 seats has become a very hot midsize Venue in NYC with many sold out concerts. Just think the Uptown seats 1000 more seats than the 175th Street located in the 3rd largest City in the US. I would conctact the concert booker of the 175Th Street who will be in direct competition with the smaller Beacon in NYC as someone who could compete with Cablevison in Chicago. The potential is there but money must be spent to restore the Uptown and Im sure it would get plenty of concert bookings, since its larger than the Chicago Theatre. The city of Chicago must take the lead and spend some money to open this theatre.brucec

DonFoshey on November 7, 2007 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll write you at the new email address.

CompassRose on November 7, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Hi DonF,

This is Joanne at CompassRose.com. We’ve moved our office and upgraded our servers/e-mail hosting this last month. I’m sorry if we lost your e-mail. You can contact me at with any problems.

Thanks and sorry for any delay.

DonFoshey on November 7, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Does anyone here have a connection to Compass Rose? I sent my check to them over a month ago for a copy of the “Uptown” DVD, but haven’t seen it yet. I also emailed the editor email on their website a week ago, but still haven’t heard back.
Maybe I’m just getting over anxious, but I’m looking forward to my copy and don’t seem to have any way of getting in touch with them.
Anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks.

Broan on October 8, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Recent photos of this theatre are HERE

BartHalleman on October 5, 2007 at 4:14 pm

the uptown theatre is a chicago landmark. So the building has landmark status from the City.Of course politics would be involved. When the Chicago was restored Washington was Mayor. The Goodman theatre Daley was Mayor. There is even a space with his name on it.
Who knows who will be Mayor if and when the time comes for the Uptown?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 5, 2007 at 10:17 am

It has become a very murky situation. There are so many issues to resolve. I think it is possible that the building will eventually be restored as part of an Uptown entertainment district. I also think it is possible that some sort of compromise project like the one you describe could come to pass. I just wish that something constructive would happen. It is desressing to watch the property decay year after year. Also, having a hulk of an unusable theater towering over the neighborhood certainly isn’t a positive force for development.

50yrsfromnow on October 5, 2007 at 8:55 am

Have read the above links to ownership issues and interest by developers.

My guess is the usual scoundrels and villains are lining up to pick over the bones. And I wonder why the city has been so indifferent, seems like there would be a push to go one way or the other?

Wouldn’t it really stink to have a new owner save the lobby for historical value as an entrance to the new office tower where the theater “was”. Maybe a Starbucks and gift shoppes. Worse deals involving historical sites have been made. Well maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing compared to what is happening now. I would bet my last buck in the end local interests will be forgotten and the site will be used as leverage for a bigger non related real estate deal.

By the way. Who is paying the utilities, taxes, roof leaks, boiler repair and so on now? If no owner is willing to do this it kind of makes you wonder.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on September 30, 2007 at 2:54 pm

I’m not sure if this photograph taken at the opening of the Uptown Theatre has been posted before, but its worth a look and also click on the ‘now’ button for a current view:

BartHalleman on September 30, 2007 at 7:10 am

the neighborhood is part of a historic district on the national register. The Riv down the street is operational so what is the problem with the uptown. there is always the story on television about the green mill lounge. You did know that the Uptown was built on the site of the picnic area of the Green Mill?

davidreed on September 28, 2007 at 9:20 am

Any new info/news about the continuing saga that is the Uptown?

bruceanthony on September 15, 2007 at 10:46 am

Come on Chicago your finsished restoring the loop theatres now its time to restore the largest theatre ever built in Chicago and it would give a huge boost to the Uptown district.brucec

mp775 on August 28, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Uptown: Portrait of a Palace will be shown on Friday, September 14 at the Portage Theater as part of the “Preserving Palaces” documentary film festival, along with Preserve Me a Seat (chronicling efforts to save the Indian Hills in Omaha, Gayety/Publix in Boston, DuPage in Lombard, and Villa in Salt Lake City). The festival continues Saturday, September 15 with The Wizard of Austin Boulevard, Loew’s Paradise Theatre, and Memoirs of a Movie Palace. A theatre preservation discussion panel will follow the films on Saturday night. For complete information, visit www.portagetheater.org.

UptownFilm on July 22, 2007 at 11:19 pm

You can now watch the documentary on the Uptown entitled “Uptown: Portrait of a Palace” for FREE on the website www.nomadsland.com

Just visit the site and click on the “Documentaries” tab to see the film in its entirety.

If you like it, then visit compassrose.org to pick up a copy on DVD, so you can watch it in full DVD quality. Your purchase of the DVD also supports Friends of the Uptown and Compass Rose in their effort to save the historic theatre and neighborhood.

ERD on July 15, 2007 at 8:18 am

A magnificent theatre that should be restored. What a loss it will to future generations if this unique theatre is allowed to be destroyed.

upaava on May 3, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Jon, I mis-spoke. The Cinerama film I saw at the Palace was “Around The World In Eighty Days.” I realized my error after making the earlier post, but didn’t think it important enough to correct.

As we get older our memories begin to play some tricks on us. Now, I’m not absolutely certain that I didn’t see my Cineraama film at the McVickers; but the film I saw was “80 Days,” and my memory has the Palace as where I saw it.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on May 3, 2007 at 11:44 am

The movie palace that played How the West Was Won in Cinerama was the demolished McVickers. The actual Palace theater still exists and is now a functioning legitimate house. It was the original Chicago home of 3-projector Cinerama.