UA Movies at Patchogue 13

600 Sunrise Highway,
Patchogue, NY 11772

Bway
Bway on August 22, 2004 at 9:07 am

Nah, the theater was where Howards is. You can even see it where the roofline is. Howard’s, La Strata, and the liquor store are in the theater location, the two story section of the shopping center. Actually it was Howard’s Cafe that has moved. Howard’s used to be in the corner in space now occupied by partly by Duane Reade. When Staples moved in, they took over some space once occupied by Rockbottom (the tenant before Duane Reade). That made Rockbottom need more space, so they took some of the store’s once occupied Howard’s and another store to the right of that. That’s when Howard’s moved into the theater’s space (early 90’s). La Strata moved into the theater space when Walbaums took over their location in the shopping center. When the theater closed, it became a carpet store for a while.

vinceiuliano
vinceiuliano on August 22, 2004 at 8:56 am

Not to carp but the theater was located more to the left of the shopping center, not exactly where Howards is but closer to duane reed. it was a terrific theater for a strip mall , and i saw butch cassidy there with my dad when it was re-issued in 1976,as well as the seven-ups and the bad news bears. i want to say that it was a UA theater but i’m not sure.
the patchogue 13 is a terrific theater, nestled in the woods as it is, but perhaps too huge for its size and the paltry lousy content coming out of Hollywood these days.
you know, i went to the island 16 the other day and the movie before 6 pm for me and my nephew was 13 dollars and for each of us to have a small bag of popcorn and a soda was another 17 bucks.
families would probably enjoy more movies together if they didn’t feel like they were being mugged at the concension stand. some of these theaters are willfuly cutting their own throats through greed.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 22, 2004 at 2:53 am

Its hard to say how long this location has but rumors always have it closing and being sold for houses lots and lots of property here.

Bway
Bway on August 9, 2004 at 10:21 am

For those interested in the Sunwave, almost next door to the Patchogue 13, I added the theater to the site thanks to Andy’s help in getting the name.
/theaters/7842/

Bway
Bway on August 8, 2004 at 6:23 pm

Thanks Andy! It makes perfect sense, as that shopping center is called “Sunwave Plaza”, obviously a play on the intersection, Sunrise Highway and Waverly Ave.
I think I will add an entry for that theater. I don’t have too much information on it, other than the name and that it closed in the mid-80’s, but hopefully as time goes on, people will add some more information on it.

As for Howard’s Cafe, I am always sorry to see a theater close, but Howard’s sure is a good replacement to the theater. I had many a more good time at Howard’s than I ever would have had at the theater!

AndyT
AndyT on August 7, 2004 at 5:58 pm

A buddy at work told me that the theater where Howard’s is today was the Sunwave Theater. He said that the last movie he recalls seeing there was “Never Say Never Again.”

scottfavareille
scottfavareille on August 7, 2004 at 1:48 pm

Regal owns the UA theaters chain nowadays. They still use the UA name on numerous theaters.

AndyT
AndyT on August 7, 2004 at 11:55 am

That was before I moved to the area, but you’re right about Howard’s Cafe!!!

Bway
Bway on August 6, 2004 at 8:28 pm

In addition, I don’t know where else to really ask this, but maybe someone familiar with Patchogue will see this here.
I am trying to find out the name of the movie theater that was once in the shopping center just east of the UA Patchogue 13. It was in the shopping center that is where Staples and Walbaums are the anchor stores in at the SW corner of Waverly Ave and Sunrise.
The theater was in the taller section in the middle of the Shopping Center. Currently, Howard’s Cafe (a great little bar and grill), and La Strata Italian restaurant occupy the space once held by the movie theater. Any information would be appreciated (like when it closed, how many screens, etc, and what it’s name was).

Bway
Bway on August 6, 2004 at 8:12 pm

Yeah, you are right, the Patchogue’s days are numbered. It is dying a slow death now that the Island 16 opened up just north of it at the Expressway and the LIE. You can see it in the condition of the theaters. When I wrote the description above, I wasn’t sure of one thing, it is still called, “UA Movies at Patchogue”, but it’s obvious that Regal owns it. Did Regal buy out UA, or did they just buy the UA Patchogue. If Regal doesn’t own UA, it seems bizzarre that they would still call it “UA Movies at Pacthcogue” if they just bought this particular theater, which still has UA in the official name.
Also, they may be doing it for extra money, but it’s also the kiss of death…on Sunday mornings, they even rent out one or two of the theaters in the multiplex to a church that does church services in the theater, a sign that they can use all the money they can get.
The same as when you see a “storefront church” in a shopping center, it’s the kiss of death for the shopping center (a sign they can’t get normal stores to rent there anymore), the same is true for a theater, and especially for a multiplex, such as the Patchogue, that it is dying.
Sad, I had many a good time at the patchogue (as I did at the now closed nearby Brookhaven Multiplex), but it’s days do appear numbered.

AndyT
AndyT on August 6, 2004 at 10:53 am

“Suffering” is an accurate word. Although UA is gone, the “let it run into the ground” theory of management remains. Unrepaired broken seats, marred screens and absolute minimum staffing are the rule today. It’s clear that this is another giant multiplex that won’t be with us for long.