Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 276 - 300 of 1,425 comments

TPH
TPH on November 9, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Terrific picture posted by MBD on 10/19. When Hartz Mountain bought the site in 1986, what were they thinking? What plans did they have for the site?

mahermusic
mahermusic on November 9, 2009 at 7:16 pm

In answering MarkDHite’s post above from Oct 4th inquiring how Loew’s Jersey can still be called LOEW’S Jersey… the answer is actually quite interesting, and deals with a law on the books in the State of NJ. When a building is sold, or there’s a change of location of a store, the name of the business or store must be removed from said building.

An example:

A Boscov’s department store had to close one of it’s locations because of the current economic climate. The last thing they did was to pull the name and logos off the exterior. If they didn’t, the new owners could open up a store called “Boscov’s”.

In 1986, when Hartz Mountain bought th Loew’s Jersey from the Loew’s Corporation, the end result wasn’t that the building was going to be shuttered and sold to a new tenant… it was to be demolished. There was NO REASON to pay for a company to come in and remove the word “Loew’s” off the marquee, since, in a matter of months, it was going to come down with a wrecking ball anyways… RIGHT???

Well… WHOOPS… It didn’t come down… and Hartz Mountain sold it (Loew’s name intact) to the City of Jersey City, who then signed a long term lease with F.O.L.

F.O.L. (and Jersey City, for that matter) get to, you guessed it… call the Loew’s Jersey the LOEW’S JERSEY!

Last little tidbit:

The “Loew’s” name WAS removed from the Loew’s Kings. Only “Kings” was left on the marquee, however “Loew’s Paradise” WAS left intact, and I believe it was restored, although I don’t believe they were actually calling it with the Loew’s name attached like the Jersey does.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on October 31, 2009 at 4:15 pm

If I am ever in Jersey I will check this place out for sure.I worked for Loews in Nashville Tennessee way back then , But our show places were nothing like this one. I am glad it has been resorted instead of torn down.Those were the days.Check out the Loews Crescent, Loews Melrose, adn Loews Madsion Sites.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 23, 2009 at 8:06 pm

“Carrie” was a lot of fun tonight. Judging from the screams and gasps near me during the final scene, there were some people there who’d never seen it. Probably the biggest gasp came when the teacher played by Betty Buckley slapped the student played by Nancy Allen. Back in 1976 that wasn’t yet grounds for a major lawsuit.

George Stevens Jr. is coming to the Loew’s to introduce one of his dad’s masterpieces, “The Diary of Anne Frank”, on Sunday 11/15 at 3 PM. It should look fantastic in CinemaScope on the Loew’s big screen.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on October 19, 2009 at 2:41 pm

This coming weekend of October 23rd and 24th, The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre located on Journal Square in Jersey City, New Jersey, will continue its 80th Birthday Jubilee and 9th consecutive year of classic films with an early Halloween Horror Show.

Located directly across from the PATH subway station connecting Manhattan with Jersey City, it is also easy to reach from most area highways. Secure discounted parking is located directly behind the theatre. Have your parking ticket validated when you buy your ticket.

All Show Are Presented In 35mm With Genuine Carbon Arc Projection On Our Giant 50 Foot Wide Screen.

Friday October 23rd at 8:00pm â€" Carrie (1976) This is the film where we learned not to pick on girls with psychic powers. They mightn’t get pissed…

Saturday October 24th at 4:00pm â€" The Wolf Man (1941) Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms and the moon is full and bright. The man in this film certainly does.

Saturday October 24th at 7:30pm â€" Rosemary’s Baby (1968) Produced by William Castle and directed by Roman Polanski, this creepy film reminds us not to have sex with demons.

Visit The Landmark Loews Jersey web site for details.

[size=1]The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre[/size]

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 10, 2009 at 12:46 am

I agree with a lot that you’ve said regarding the more rigorous and formal designs of Lamb vs the stunning effects of the Rapps. In general I do find Lamb’s work more satisfying. But on the other hand, decorative detail aside, Rapp&Rapp could manipulate space and create vistas and unexpected little intersections in a way that is breathtaking and unforgettable.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 10, 2009 at 12:36 am

Thanks for the comments, guys!

gabedellafave
gabedellafave on October 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Hmm. Perhaps that’s the difference between the Loew’s Jersey and Loew’s Midland (or the SF Fox). Perhaps Lamb vs. R&R is only visible from 5 feet from the walls.

Ziggy
Ziggy on October 6, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I think that the “Wonder Theatre” project was begun by the Publix theatre chain, for whom Rapp and Rapp had done a lot of work. Loew’s inherited the project as part of an agreement with Publix, and probably kept the same architects and plans.

I agree with you, jazzland, the Jersey is most absolutely not by Lamb. It does not have his touch at all. It is most absolutely by Rapp and Rapp. To go with MarkDHite’s reasoning, it may bear a resemblance to the San Francisco Fox, but it also bears a resemblance to the Times Square Paramount (by Rapp and Rapp), so I suppose THAT theatre must be by Lamb also.

Jazzland is perfectly correct when he says that Lamb had a sense of taste different from Rapp and Rapp, and that his details are more finely wrought. Lamb’s architecture looks like it was built line upon line. Rapp and Rapp’s tends to look like it was created with a frosting spreader. This is not meant to disparage their work at all, it’s just that the two had different styles. Rapp and Rapp went for the grand gesture, and Lamb went after the details. I guess it’s similar to the way some paintings are best viewed close up and some look better from a few feet away, but you wouldn’t say one is better than the other.

LuisV
LuisV on October 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I hear you saps! The only theater that I currently buy tickets to is the Ziegfled. All other theaters, I buy tickets to the movie. Quite a change for the old days.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I buy tickets to theaters, not movies. Bring on the razzmatazz. The bigger the better. And don’t forget the free dishes.
-Old Timey Moviegoer.

jazzland
jazzland on October 5, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I’m sure that architects were aware of the work of their competition in the design of movie palaces. Considering the Loew/Lamb connection it is not surprising that Rapp & Rapp might attempt to design in the style of Lamb for one of their Loew’s commissions. While the Loew’s Jersey is stylistically similar to Keith’s Memorial, Loew’s Midland, and the San Francisco Fox, it easily to tell that it is not a Lamb design. Thomas Lamb, even at his most outrageous, shows a discipline, subtlety, and a level of taste seldom evident in the work of Rapp & Rapp. His ornament is always finely detailed and relatively historically correct. His sense of proportion is flawless and the arrangement of space is always logical. Rapp & Rapp on the other hand, tended to go to extreme lenghts for visual and spatial effects that often appeared overwrought.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 5, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I didn’t say I thought there was anything wrong with it, I’m surprised that AMC (of course, not Sony now) thinks it’s okay since Loews is a registered trade owned by them.

markp
markp on October 5, 2009 at 6:24 am

Its the same thing for the theatre in Brooklyn N.Y. Everyone still refers to it as Loew’s Kings, and will continue to if it ever comes back to life.

IanJudge
IanJudge on October 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm

The name “Loews” is now owned by AMC Theatres, not Sony, which has not had an interest in movie theaters in almost a decade. This theater uses the original pre-1968 name (with apostrophe) “Loew’s”. It was always called “Loew’s Jersey” so why not keep the name? The name “Loew’s” is evocative of the classic era of movie palaces this theater so lovingly maintains.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm

One more comment: The Jersey’s French curve marquee looks like Lamb all the way. Thanks!

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Another puzzling thing to me is the architectural styles of this and a few other late Loew’s movie palaces. This theatre while attributed to Rapp and Rapp has none of their hallmark grand sweeping features and large ornamental details. It looks very much like the work of Thomas Lamb’s firm. The lobby is remarkably similar to Lamb’s beautiful Keith Memorial Theatre in Boston, and comparisons to Lamb’s San Francisco Fox auditorium have been made before. Did the leading theatre designers sometimes share designers or even designs in the mad productive period of movie palace building in the late 20’s? Do any of you architecture scholars out there have a theory?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I’m puzzled by the fact that they still call this theatre the Loew’s Jersey, since “Loews”, as it is now known, has nothing to do with the theatre now. The Loews name is now owned by Sony after multiple mergers. I’m surprised that they don’t have problem with this non-Loews theatre still using the name. Just curious.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on September 13, 2009 at 2:41 pm

On the weekend of October 2nd and 3rd, The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre located on Journal Square in Jersey City, New Jersey will open it’s 9th season of classic films. Since it is also the theatre’s 80th Birthday Jubilee, we will be presenting a selection of films either set in, or filmed in, the 1920’s when the Loews Jersey was young!

The theatre is located directly across from the PATH subway station connecting Manhattan with Jersey City, it is also easy to reach from most area highways. Discounted parking is located directly behind the theatre.

All Show Are Presented In 35mm On Our Huge 50 Foot Wide Screen

Friday October 2nd at 8:00pm â€" “The Untouchables” (1987) Follow the exploits of Elliot Ness and his G-Men as they take down Al Capone back in the violent days of the roaring 20’s.

Saturday October 3rd at 4:00pm â€" “The Coconuts” (1929) One of the Marx Brothers earliest and funniest films, watch as they wreak havoc on a Florida hotel and it’s unfortunate guests.

Saturday October 3rd at 8:00pm â€" “Safety Last” (1923) One of silent comedian Harold Lloyd’s wildest and best films, it features the famous scene of him high above a street hanging off a clock. There will be live organ accompaniment on the Landmark Loews Jersey’s Mighty Morton Theatre Pipe Organ.

Visit The Landmark Loews Jersey web site for details.

[size=1]The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre[/size]

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on September 8, 2009 at 12:29 pm

The Landmark Loews Jersey will begin it’s fall season of classic films on the weekend of October 2nd & 3rd. All the titles have not been confirmed yet, but the show will include Harold Lloyd’s 1923 silent comic masterpiece, Safety Last with live organ accompaniment on the Loews Jersey’s Morton Wonder Theatre Pipe Organ.

bolorkay
bolorkay on September 7, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Hi Debbie,

I’m curious…..what theaters in our area have you visited or do you plan to visit? (theater name and location, please)
I’d really like to find some of the old movie palaces, especially in Northern NJ, that I’ve never visited.
Personally some of my favorites are The Lafayette, in Suffern, NY, the Cedar Lane, in Teneck, and (of course) the Loews Jersey.
It would be great to pool our knowledge of some of the great theatres that are still around and operational.(I checked the list of theatres in the general North NJ/New York area on “Cinema Trasures” but, sadly many of those that I was familiar with are either closed and/or demolished. I wonder if I am missing some?)

NannyDeb
NannyDeb on September 7, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Wow, that picture is great. I just recently joined this website and am amazed at the memories that it is bringing back!!!!! so much so that I went last night to one of the old theatres in Rutherford, NJ that I went to as a kid and posted my experience on that movies page. Now I want to visit all of the theatres that are still there. That is my plan and I aim to do it and post as I go to each one. Since I still live in the Northern NJ area I can get to most of them pretty easily. I will keep you all posted.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm

That’s my friend Jeff S! His comments can be found all over CT, mostly on the Lafayette Theater page.

gabedellafave
gabedellafave on August 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm

How about the restoration of the dome over the center ticket booth? It doesn’t need to be bronze. It could be a composite material, and it could be copied from the King’s which I believe still has the same dome. I with you on the marquee, the blade, and the upper balcony lobby restorations.

Any way, here are some amazing backstage interior shots I found on the web. Many thanks to jeffs4653, whoever you are:

bolorkay
bolorkay on August 21, 2009 at 7:44 am

As much as I would love to see the cross-over lobby brought back to original working order, what I’m really hoping for is work to begin on the ventilation/AC system at the Loews (a costly project, I’m sure)…… when that is accomplished, then the possibilty of summer classic film programs might become a reality. I know the summer is when the FOL does most of their renovations, but to have a couple of weekends of “summer” film classics wouild be something to be hoped for.