Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

chconnol
chconnol on April 20, 2006 at 4:07 am

Does anyone know if they are going to do another tour? I may try to sneak out of work to go to one…

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on April 15, 2006 at 8:04 pm

I echo the previous sentiments. I attended the 11:00 tour this morning. Absolutely fantastic! The theatre never looked better. Kudos to Mr. Lopes and the Paradise for a job well done!

theatrefan
theatrefan on April 15, 2006 at 2:44 pm

I had the unique opportunity today to attend the 1:00 P.M. tour of the Loew’s Paradise today and let me tell you, words cannot express how astonishing this place is, you need to see it to believe it. I would encourage anyone who is the least bit curios about the Loew’s Paradise to try to attend these tours, they are quite remarkable Mr. Lopes should be commended on his efforts for getting the tours of the Loew’s Paradise off the ground and running. Thank You Loew’s Paradise Management and Mr. Lopes for a splendid tour!

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on April 7, 2006 at 6:23 pm

I give my heart to the owners & all parties responsible for giving a treasure of a theater, and a true icon of the Bronx, a restoration that it deserves, and for reopening it. Any attempt to demolish it would have been Bronx’s Penn Station. LONG LIVE LOEW’S PARADISE THEATRE!!!!!!! Lots of luck! – Michael

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 7, 2006 at 6:09 pm

Actually, Patsy, both the Valencia in Jamaica, Queens, and the 175th Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan, are actively used and open to all as churches. With the Paradise giving it a go as a live venue and the Jersey running classic revivals, only the Rapp & Rapp Kings is left a neglected hulk, rotting and decaying in Brooklyn and in need of many millions of dollars in restoration work.

Patsy
Patsy on April 7, 2006 at 5:12 pm

Interesting to read about the “5 Wonder Theatres” on the GTOS site. One of the them was a Rapp and Rapp designed theatre and yet another is a church.

Patsy
Patsy on April 7, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Thanks to an earlier post this is a good site to view and read about many aspects of the Paradise Theater. I didn’t realize this theatre was an Eberson/atmospheric so now it certainly has my interest!

CinemAFuchs
CinemAFuchs on April 6, 2006 at 11:14 am

Tours of the Loew’s Paradise Theater will commence on Saturday, April 8th at 11 AM and at 1 PM. Additional tours this month are planned for April 15th and April 22nd with a regular schedule following on Saturdays throughout the year. Admission is $6.00 for all, with a maximumn tour size of 30 people. Photography will not be a problem.

Those wishing to attend â€" And who wouldn’t?!!!! It’s magnificent. â€" should leave their names with the theatre at 1-800-353-8040. Please check the website www.theparadisetheater.com for future dates and updated information.

Orlando Lopes, New York Director of the Theatre Historical Society, has done an outstanding job. His support of the Paradise continues by coordinating volunteer efforts for events and by personally guiding these tours which will take about 50 minutes. Thank you.

Brooklynite
Brooklynite on April 6, 2006 at 7:40 am

Readers of this board may be interested in Saturday’s meeting to Revitalize Brooklyn’s Loew’s Kings Movie Palace.

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on March 29, 2006 at 6:59 am

Feature Film “We Own the Night” with Jaquin Phoenix, Eva Mendes, and Robert Duvall filmed last week at the Paradise. I am so glad the location scouts discovered this gem. Don’t know how many days they filmed and if they filmed exteriors of the theater.

They had also shot around the corner in the church on Fordham Road @ University Avenue.

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on March 8, 2006 at 7:01 pm

This theatre’s website lists a salsa concert date of March 3rd (rescheduled from February due to a snow storm), but the Village Voice’s online “nyc guide” listing shows the same event as March 10th. Which is correct?

We would appreciate any reviews from those attending. This is a venue I would consider visiting
(I know someone who lives near the theatre).

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on March 2, 2006 at 7:10 pm

The latest episode in WNET-TV’s “Walking Tour” series, “A Walk Through the Bronx” (filmed in 2005), showcases this grand old theatre in a brief segment discussing the history of the Grand Councourse. The theatre is presented as the centerpiece in the revival of this area, and the footage features an interview with local historians in the grand lobby. What magnificent views! Bravo for featuring it, when other television programs about NYC fail to even mention it. Its importance as part of the historical, cultural and economic fabric of this city cannot be ignored!

This gem of a building holds a lot of history and memories. My parents were born and raised in the Bronx (Soundview), and their teenage years in the 1940s coincided with this theatre’s heyday. I never thought of it before, but I’ll bet they created a few “memories” of their own in that theatre, although I’m afraid to ask what they were!

Visit WNET-TV’s website, which includes background information and highlights from this program. A profile of this theatre can be accessed directly at: http://www.thirteen.org/bronx/sites15.html (The “Resources” page even includes a link to the theatre’s own homepage – the same one included in the Cinema Treasures profile: http://www.theparadisetheater.com/en/defaulten.htm))

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 20, 2006 at 5:56 pm

Cool. Sounds like there is evidence supporting the idea that they are making a go of things.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on February 19, 2006 at 6:09 pm

Well, the orchestra was filled completely…which is 2300, plus about another few hundred in the mezz. and balcony. No upcoming shows yet, but they seem to average about two events per month.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 19, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Was the show well attended, Rabbit? Were there upcoming shows advertised?

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on February 18, 2006 at 4:21 pm

As promised, I will give the lowdown on my trip to the Paradise Theatre last night. I went to the concert with my sister from New Jersey. The show consisted of five early 70’s soul groups, the featured act being The Stylistics. We arrived about an hour before the scheduled start time of 8:00, and found a parking spot on the street about two blocks away. Many people were parking in public lots in the area, one of which was charging $18.00 for the evening. Upon entering the theatre, we had to pass through metal detectors, with the ladies going through one and the men going through another. I assumed the reason for the seperation was that if a body frisk was required, it would be done by staff of the same sex. I guess nowadays, any large venue would be crazy not to have metal detectors due to terrorism. Once inside, we had some wine at the bar that was in the main lobby. We went to the second level wher some tables and chairs were set up, and relaxed for awhile. The show started about 9:00, and ended about 12:30. Our seats were good (about 10th row orchestra.) All of the acts were from a similiar mold, that being of something like The Temptations…matching suits, synchronized moves etc. As for security, the Paradise or maybe the musical groups had there own security, in addition, there were four uniformed cops outside the theatre for the entire evening. The crowd, however, was quite mellow, with the average age being somewhere around 50. I was somewhat concerned when leaving the theatre, not knowing what to expect on the Grand Concourse at 12:30am. However, the crowd exiting, in addition to the police presence alleviated any fears, and it was uneventful. All in all, it was a very pleasant evening.

Bopper57
Bopper57 on February 16, 2006 at 2:25 pm

In the fall of 1957 the movie Mister Rock and Roll was showing at the Loew’s Paradise Theater in the Bronx. There was also an Alan Freed stage show which featured Jackie Wilson and JoAnn Campbell. Does anyone remember this show, who was performing and the date? It was not the concert from March 1958.

Thanks

Bopper57

CinemAFuchs
CinemAFuchs on February 9, 2006 at 1:12 pm

Orlando Lopes, New York Metro Director of the Theatre Historical Society of America (THSA), is coordinating a volunteer effort for the Loewâ€\s Paradise. There will be a series of events and shows where help is needed, starting this Saturday, February 11, 2006.

This is a wonderful opportunity to become part of the excitement of this beautifully revived Cinema Treasure. Orlando and the Paradise management have some great plans in store for all movie theatre and film fans.

Please contact Orlando at (631) 225-7071 after 9PM or email him at There will be a name list, so you cannot show up unannounced.

Thank you all.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on January 13, 2006 at 5:32 pm

Correct…It’s Cuba Gooding Sr. Tickets are available online through ticketmaster and at the theatre box office. It’s listed as 70’s Soul Jam.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 13, 2006 at 3:20 pm

Cuba junior is the actor. Cuba senior is the singer (“Everybody Plays the Fool…”).

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on January 13, 2006 at 2:14 pm

Although not yet listed on their website, there will be a concert on February 17th featuring The Stylistics, The Dramatics, Cuba Gooding Jr. of The Main Ingrediant, as well as a couple of other acts. I stopped by the theatre this evening and saw the flyer posted in the box office window. Also posted, was a menu for The Paradise Bar and Grill, which I understand is only open on event nights.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 10, 2006 at 6:20 pm

It sounds strange, but they might not update the web site regularly. This New Year’s celebration was not there. It wouldn’t surprise me if they succeed in spreading the word through other means.

But, to be fair, the theatre could also be foundering.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on December 25, 2005 at 12:51 pm

I stopped by the theatre yesterday, and noticed that they are having a New Year’s celebration in the theater’s lounge. Two Latin music acts will be performing.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 22, 2005 at 2:08 am

P.S. Since this may be my last comment this week (you never can tell), please let me wish any readers here a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hannukah, or a joyous holiday. Whichever you may prefer.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 22, 2005 at 2:06 am

EdSolero did put it nicely, and I agree that the Paradise “restoration” is not above criticism. I was just stating that I’m very sick and tired of people who never find anything positive to say ever. The Paradise was quadruplexed, and then boarded up. Now it’s been fixed up inside and reopened. I was just wishing that people who point out what a horrible job was done on the sign (and I agree, it is a horrible job) could give credit where credit is due, as well as nitpick about what went wrong. There’s a small list of things I don’t like about the Paradise; the non-functioning fountain, the lack of stars and clouds, the refreshment stand, the removal of the trees and vines, and the lack of draperies. But I’m truly thrilled at what has been done right. The balcony soffit was missing masssive chunks of ornamentation that is now replicated and restored. The new paint and gold leaf is amazing. The original light fixtures are up and running, and judging by the photos, the lobby lights are kept appropriately low (as you may know, high levels of lobby lighting are a particular gripe of mine). Well, I could go on, but to repeat and recap, there are a few, a very few, folks who only complain. Of course, they should always feel free to complain, but I should feel free to say that I’m tired of their complaints.