Embassy Theater

3208 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11208

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on February 26, 2005 at 12:31 am

According to a real estate report the current building was built in 1972. Sad to say that the Embassy has been demolished. The current use is listed as a health center.

KarlB
KarlB on February 26, 2005 at 12:27 am

The Embassy Theatre was the theatre where I first saw the original “Psycho” movie during the summer of 1961. It was the most violent movie I had seen up till that time and it really made an impression on me. I did not attend many movies at the Embassy preferring to go to the Gem which was closer to home. After the Gem closed most of my movie going was to the Merrick and Valencia in Jamaica.

The Embassy Carriage Shop was across the street and further west, closer to Logan St. The Carriage Shop was a Lionel Train dealer so I was in there very often.

Does anyone remember Sonny’s Sport & Hobby Shop? It was a very small store in the Embassy Theatre building with an entrance on Fulton St. I bought many a 10 cent balsa wood airplane kit from Sonny in the 1940’s.

I was surprised to read that the Embassy was razed. I have not been in the area in many years, but had been told that the theatre was converted into a Senior Citizens Center.
Was it a conversion or was the theatre actually razed?

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 26, 2005 at 12:26 am

Thank you, lostmemory !

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on February 26, 2005 at 12:20 am

Here is the property report for this address:
3208 Fulton Street, New Lots, New York 11208

Block & Lot #: 04140 – 0013
Building Class: Health Center, Child Center, Clinic (I5)
School District: 19 map/schools
City Council District: 37
Police Precinct: 75 (Crime Statistics)
Political Contributions: search
Number of Floors: 2

Units: 0

FAR as built: 1.65
Allowable FAR: 1.25

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 25, 2005 at 10:48 pm

Paging Karl B, paging Karl B …

mariewn
mariewn on December 7, 2004 at 11:27 pm

I used to go to the Embassy in the 50’s and 60’s. I remember the interior as being rather plush with red patterned carpeting and red velvet curtains in the stage with a gold fringe. The manager in the 50’s was a Mr. Grace and the assistant mgr was a Mr Franzese. There were 2 matrons that showed you to your seat.
Tuesdays were dish nights and Saturday mornings were kiddie shows.
Does anyone have a picture of this theatre?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 8, 2004 at 3:41 pm

The theatre seems to have been built under the name of Concourse, which was then switched to Concord and finally Embassy…The Gem was situated at 3355 Fulton Street and had 600 seats. It, too, may have had a previous name.

TimO
TimO on September 8, 2004 at 5:03 am

Raymond, in response to your 5/25/04 post, sorry, but that’s not the case ….. although you do bring up Cortes ice cream parlor and Longs ice cream parlor, both of which were very popular and well-known ice cream parlors in Cypress Hills for many, many years ….. decades, if not generations.

Cortes ice cream parlor was at the corner of Norwood Avenue & Fulton Street/Arlington Avenue (where Arlington Avenue starts …. or ends if you go by the actual address numbers), near the Norwood Avenue “el” train station (the “QJ” or “KK” train, if anyone remembers those designations from the late ‘60s/'70s). A little more trivia – Cortes ice cream parlor was originally named “Oedings” …… from what my mom tells me, Oeding(s) was the owner’s last name, and when the daughter got married, they changed the ice cream parlor name to the daughter’s new married name, “Cortes”.

Longs ice cream parlor was near the Crescent Street “el” train station on Fulton Street between Crescent & Hemlock Street. It was run by the Long family, who I think were local residents, as well as politically active in Queens/Brooklyn. Longs was about the last “hold-out” of the great ice cream parlors to remain in Cypress Hills after most of the others had left (I know Longs was still in Cypress Hills in the late ‘70s).

The ice cream parlor across from the Embassy theater may have been named “Mom & Pop’s” (according to my mom) …… I was kind of little when it closed up, but I can still remember the couple who ran it – older with white hair and glasses.

The other ice cream parlor that was “big” in that part of Cypress Hills (at least in my time) was Wilkens ice cream parlor on Fulton between Euclid Avenue & Pine Street, also near the Crescent Street “el” train station.

TimO
TimO on September 8, 2004 at 4:45 am

Warren, in response to your 9/1/04 & 9/7/04 posts:

Yes, the Embassy did have a balcony, and I seem to remember it was “off-limits” if you were under a certain age. I asked my mom about this (she went to movies at the Embassy from back in the mid/late 1930s when she was a child, up to the time it closed in the late ‘60s/early '70s), and she tells me that at one point, they closed the Embassy balcony altogether because they were having a lot of problems with smokers who would “flick” their cigarette butts down onto the audience below.

I really don’t remember the decor of the Embassy, I’ll have to ask my mom about that the next time I talk to her. If you’re interested, my mom also used to go to two other Cypress Hills movie theaters – the Lowe’s Warwick (which is shown on this site), as well as the Gem theater, which was up at Fulton Street & Crescent Street ….. I don’t see any Gem theater listed on this site for Brooklyn, NY – could you check your records for it? The address for the Gem theater would have been either Fulton Street (like the Embassy) with the street number higher than the Embassy’s 3208 address going in that direction; or the Gem’s address may have possibly been Crescent Street, number 190 or something like that. I think the Gem closed sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s – I’ll ask my mom to see if she remembers.

Re. the name “Concord Theater” for the Embassy, I don’t know, I’ll have to ask my mom if that rings a bell with her from her childhood years.

Tim O.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 7, 2004 at 4:55 pm

This is listed as the Concord Theatre in the 1925 Film Daily Year Book. Could that have been its original name?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 1, 2004 at 2:28 pm

Can anyone describe the interior decor of the Embassy? Did the auditorium have a balcony, or was the seating all on the ground floor, with perhaps a stadium section at the rear?

ralvin3
ralvin3 on May 25, 2004 at 6:14 am

The ice cream parlor across from The Embassy was called Cordes, formerly Longs.

TimO
TimO on May 24, 2004 at 4:01 am

Al (or whoever adjusted the Embassy info),

Thanks for fixing the neighborhood & zip code for the Embassy.

TimO
TimO on May 23, 2004 at 5:09 am

The correct neighborhood for the Embassy Theater is the Cypress Hills section of Brooklyn, not the East New York section. The correct zip code is 11208, not 11207. The Embassy (and the adjoining Embassy luncheonette/coffee shop) was demolished in the late ‘60s/early '70s. Plans were made to build a day-care center on the site, but the residents fought that and instead, a senior citizen’s center was built (which I think is still open today).

Back in its “heyday”, the “four-corners” of Richmond & Fulton were: (1) the Embassy Theater;
(2) Goldberg’s jewelry store; (3) Lenny’s deli; and, (4) Gray’s clothing store. There was also a children’s furniture store on the opposite side of Fulton Street across from the Embassy called “Embassy Carriage”.

There was an ice cream parlor across from the Embassy too, right next to Goldberg’s jewelry store. We kids would stop at the ice cream parlor to buy our candy (it was cheaper) before going over to the Embassy for the movie. A couple of movies I remember seeing at the Embassy: (1) “The Man Called Flintstone” (1966); and, (2) some “McHale’s Navy” movie that was stitched together from the “McHale’s Navy” TV show.

William
William on February 4, 2004 at 11:07 pm

The Embassy Theatre seated 1439 people.