Carthay Circle Theatre

6316 San Vicente Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90048

EnnisCAdkins
EnnisCAdkins on January 30, 2009 at 9:37 am

The Carthay Circle also opened THE LONGEST DAY on a reserved seat hard ticket policy in October of 1962. Although the picture was shot in Cinemascope, Mr Zanuck had a special blown up 70MM print made for the Rivoli in New York and the Carthay Circle. As I remember, the picture ran there for about 6 months. Fox had a big premiere the night before the film opened in the courtyard of the Carthay that was televised on a local LA station. What a party.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 21, 2009 at 6:18 pm

This is from Boxoffice magazine in January 1960:

LOS ANGELES-Carthay Circle Theater here is to get the roadshow run of Fox’s “Can-Can”. “Porgy and Bess” closes a 26-week engagement at the house next week. National Theaters' chief film buyer, M.A. Lundgren, will go to New York with Gordon Hewitt to conclude arrangements for the booking, following the world premiere at New York’s Rivoli in March.

voxpop
voxpop on January 19, 2009 at 12:17 am

i’ll do it when i have a chance and post it

vokoban
vokoban on January 18, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Wow….do you think it would be possible to take a photo of it and post it? I’d love to see it.

voxpop
voxpop on January 18, 2009 at 9:20 pm

i own a bas relief over one of the lobby water fountains in the downstairs Carthay Circle lobbyshowing a pioneer woman against a wagon wheel. i bught it from Cleveland wrecking and it proudlystanding in my garden

voxpop

vokoban
vokoban on January 13, 2009 at 7:29 am

Do they allow people to visit?

William
William on January 13, 2009 at 7:16 am

No, they have a large werehouse of great fixtures stored away from many of their demolition work from around the country.

vokoban
vokoban on January 9, 2009 at 7:49 pm

That’s interesting…..I really hope they didn’t just demolish without removing things like statues, but who knows. At least the Forty-niner statue is repaired and back where it has been since 1925. And the two thieves are in jail for 16 months each. Here is a scan of the outside and inside of the original program from the dedication ceremony of the Forty-niner statue. A friend gave it to me for a holiday gift.

Inside of program:

Outside of program:

William
William on January 9, 2009 at 5:29 pm

National General Theatres used the Cleveland Wrecking Company on the demolition. What ever National General’s management left after the theatre closed Cleveland Wrecking Company had salvage title to the fixtures.

vokoban
vokoban on November 18, 2008 at 7:33 am

Does anyone have information on what became of the sculpture in the lounge of the theater? Here’s a photo:

moviebear1
moviebear1 on June 12, 2008 at 10:46 pm

If one looks closely at the above picture you can tell the image by the marquee is Jennifer Jones in Song Of Bernadette. So this premere and photo are from 1943.

Matt Spero

vokoban
vokoban on May 23, 2008 at 10:21 am

I wish I could afford this negative…I’m sure the price will go up fast at the last minute. Beautiful photo of this theater:

vokoban
vokoban on February 23, 2008 at 7:13 am

Yeah, maybe its from the 50’s when Isabel Bonner dropped dead on the stage in her role of a lifetime. See above…

vokoban
vokoban on February 22, 2008 at 6:33 pm

These are the types of advertisements I have for the Carthay Circle:

They must be from some type of small format magazine from back then.

vokoban
vokoban on February 22, 2008 at 6:30 pm

I have the ads in frames, but I’ll try to take a photo without a lot of glare if possible. It’s the same thing with Elia Kazan….he pronounced his own name EEL-ya but most people say it differently.

jamwood
jamwood on February 22, 2008 at 11:39 am

To vokoban, not sure I’d know how to do it myself, but would it be difficult to post one or two or a few of those classic ads online? How wonderful it would be to see them! And I agree 100% about the spelling – Theatre. Many called Leonard the conductor “Bern-STEEN,” while others said “Bern-STINE.” Tempest in a teapot, why not ask the owner of the name? Bernstein himself quite simply stated the STINE option, as would be proper in German or Yiddish. So there, be it Bernstein or Carthay Circle, the final decision rests with the one who owns the name!

vokoban
vokoban on February 22, 2008 at 10:38 am

I have tons of ads from the this theater from the late 20’s and early 30’s and it is always spelled Carthay Circle Theatre. As a general term I use theater when referring to any structure that showed movies but I use ‘theatre’ when using the actual name if that’s how it was advertised.

jamwood
jamwood on February 21, 2008 at 8:07 am

Theater or Theatre? The Web’s many sources are amply divided between the two. In essence, “theater” is the American spelling, and “theatre” is British, but often used in the U.S. as a kind of affectation or quaintness, especially in the early days of Hollywood filmdom. However, one Web site, Historic Neon Signs in Los Angeles, settles the bet. It shows a bold and beautiful archival photograph of the actual neon sign: “Carthay Circle Theatre.” Many sites provide first-hand evidence of “Fox Theatres Corp.”

unihikid
unihikid on February 21, 2008 at 7:33 am

ken
do you know how many statues were placed around the theatre? i always knew of the gold panning one,and i was happy to hear about the other one that was bought right before the demo by a local neighbor.

charlie

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 20, 2008 at 6:53 pm

They found the statue of the miner that used to be in front of the theater, stolen recently. He was in a scrap yard, cut in half and waiting to be melted down. He will be restored to his old spot, it appears.

William
William on February 7, 2008 at 10:36 am

In an answer to Weil’s post from Nov. 24th 2007.
“Gone With The Wind” reissue in 70MM opened Oct. 13th. 1967 and played for 56 weeks. And then “The Shoes of the Fisherman” opened on Nov. 16th. 1968 (looks like the last premiere held there was “The Shoes of the Fisherman” on Nov. 15th.) It played for 23 weeks, which would put the finish of the engagement around the end of April 1969.

jamwood
jamwood on February 7, 2008 at 9:42 am

I agree with those who disparage the demolition of a theater that easily rivaled the glamour and glory of Grauman’s Chinese Theater, still standing on Hollywood Blvd. Raised by a single mom in the 1930s, we were taken by her younger college-age sister, our sitter, to first-run premieres of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Fantasia,” and “Gone With the Wind.” My fondest memory is when we went to see “Snow White” and were greeted by Ms. White (a pretty girl fitting the bill), Doc, Bashful, and the whole gang. The latter were actually fairly large, I suspect smallish people in costumes with cartoonlike (papier-mache?) heads. Long before Disneyland made them commonplace, we looked with awe at the phantasmagorical diorama reproductions of the magical house and forest before entering the theater. You blokes with the wrecking ball, how could you do it?!!

markfcarey
markfcarey on January 9, 2008 at 7:59 am

ATTN: Joey c,
(PS sorry everyone else for interrupting your discussion)

Joey Costello?

Hi, my name is Mark, I am from Ireland, I saw your post about your uncle “John Hughes”.
Do you know what year he died in?.
I’m related to 3 Ryan brothers and 1 sister who left Ireland in the 1880’s. Kate Ryan married a Hughes, and they had a son called John who went onto own or run the Sahara casino at some point. And a daughter who married a guy called Costello.
Make any sense to you?