Regal Battery Park Stadium 11

102 North End Avenue,
New York, NY 10282

bfilma on April 15, 2005 at 10:33 am

i’m going for a screening to this theatre, which may as well be in china, it’s so far west and i checked for directions. the only directions are via car! that’s absurd in NYC — subway and/or bus directions should always be given, with car route as an option… of course, if this theatre were actually near a subway, it might also help. sheesh! what were they thinking?

hardbop on April 13, 2005 at 10:07 am

Someone should hip the “Village Voice” to the fact that this is no longer a 16-‘plex, but an 11-'plex and it has been for at least a year. The VV still lists this as an 16-plex.

The only time I have even been even near this theatre is for the annual Tribeca Fests and when I was there last year the five theatres had already been closed and it was a weird and gloomy experience riding those escalators up, up and up before reaching the floors with the screens.

One funny story I have was at the first Tribeca Film Fest for “The Stone Reader.” In the middle of the film the projectionist must have gotten reels mixed up because a reel or part of the film was dropped. The director, fortunately, was in the house and immediately races up the aisle and goes to the back of the theatre and starts banging on the window at the projection booth to get the projectionist’s attention. Needless to say, the problem was fixed.

Another ‘plex that seems to be located in the middle of nowhere is Loew’s W. 34th Street 'plex between Eighth & Ninth Avenues. And that Kip’s Bay 'plex on Second Avenue in the twenties is also off the beaten track.

I don’t know what the Regal people were thinking when they built a 16-screen ‘plex not only way downtown, but just about as far west as you can go. It is west of West Street.

Butch on April 3, 2005 at 12:11 am

I agree with the statements posted above. For some reason Regal has the smallest screens in proportion to auditorium size, especially when compared to Loew’s and AMC multiplexes in NYC. I’ve been here twice but will never return.

br91975 on April 2, 2005 at 8:51 pm

One of the more stunning NYC movie theatre developments (or non-developments) in recent years is that this theatre hasn’t closed yet. (‘If a cinema opens and no one goes to it, does it make a sound?’, he asks quasi-rhetorically… )

hardbop on April 1, 2005 at 1:51 pm

This type of building personifies why all the exhibitors went bankrupt. I can’t imagine anyone going here, other than people who live in Battery Park City, Tribeca and maybe some people who work downtown. And that population can’t support 16 screens and I doubt they can support 11. It is so far off the beaten track, a long walk from the nearest subway and the fact that you have to cross the West Street.

The only time I’ve been there is for the Tribeca Film Festival and last year they had closed the five theatres and it seemed you would take escalator after escalator before you got to the theatres.

What a weird location for a cinema.

chconnol on March 2, 2005 at 10:49 am

I can’t imagine that this place does much business on the weekends. I could be wrong. I hope so because the place is actually very nice. Anyone know how it does?