Assembly Square Cinemas

35 Middlesex Avenue,
Somerville, MA 02145

scottm
scottm on December 6, 2007 at 11:02 am

I would not recommended to walk in unlock door. There is always risk of getting caught by police so it is best to stay away. I was going to take a picture of outside theater and post the link here yesterday but I didn’t have time. Someday I will.

br91975
br91975 on December 6, 2007 at 10:13 am

Thanks for the information, Ron; interesting about the security situation. I am tempted to stop by and see if I can maybe explore the inside of the building at some point when I’m home during Christmas week, but I’d probably walk up to the unlocked front door, pull on it, open it, and then, after a moment’s hesitation walk away, afraid of being caught by the police; if I was with someone, I’d feel bold, but, on my own, in that kind of situation, not so much. All that being said, I do hope the building is secured before an act of vandalism, or worse, is committed.

Ron Newman on December 5, 2007 at 11:26 am

The building is still standing and still empty. All of the signs still look exactly as I reported above on March 3.

When I walked by it three days ago, I was able to open the front glass door! There appeared to be no security whatsoever. Had I not been on my way somewhere else, I could probably have wandered in and walked around in there for hours.

br91975
br91975 on December 5, 2007 at 11:22 am

Does anyone know if the Assembly Square Mall cinemas are still standing or if any definitive redevelopment plans have been announced? The last time I passed by, in late July, the theatre was in the same state Ron described in his posting on March 3rd, except the right glass entry doors were boarded up, due to a likely attempted break-in. (The left glass entry doors, as well as the box office, were untouched.)

scottm
scottm on April 15, 2007 at 7:05 am

I drove and stopped by Someville Loews today and saw there are no titles on the sign. I wasn’t aware it was closed few months ago.

Ron Newman on March 3, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Last month, I repeated a rumor from the Somerville News about a gym moving into the cinema building. It is not correct. The gym is moving into the office building next door.

I rode around the area this afternoon. You can still see inside the glass entrance doors, and there’s no obvious sign of any interior demolition. The word LOEWS has been removed from each of the building’s three LOEWS THEATRES signs, but the word THEATRES remains, as does the old Loews Cineplex “spotlights” logo.

The adjoining office building still has a large two-sided marquee visible to motorists on I-93. The word LOEWS has been painted over on each side, but again the word THEATRES remains. Of course, the 12 slots for movie titles are now blank, and the sign is no longer lit at night.

Is the landlord keeping these signs mostly intact in case some other chain wants to move in? I can’t imagine who would want to reopen it, but …

Ron Newman on February 12, 2007 at 3:49 am

from yesterday’s Boston Globe City Weekly section:

[quote]The show will go on — but not for a while
Assembly Square theater closes
By Kristen Green, Globe Correspondent

When a movie theater at Assembly Square closed last month, it left a void at the development that probably won’t be filled for four or five years.

An AMC Entertainment Inc. spokesman said company officials chose not to renew the lease for AMC Loews Assembly Square 12 when it expired Jan. 15.

“Assembly Square was identified as an underperformer which no longer competed effectively in the marketplace,” said Andy DiOrio , a spokesman for the Missouri-based movie company.

He said that the company likes to “keep our theaters up-to-date” and that the Middlesex Avenue theater, built in 1981 and procured during the merger of AMC and Loews Cineplex Entertainment, retained an ‘80s look.

He declined to discuss AMC’s level of interest in locating a new theater complex at Assembly Square, where the developer, Federal Realty Investment Trust, has set aside 60,000 square feet for such a facility. “Obviously we’re evaluating it,” DiOrio said.

Federal officials said they’ve been approached by a number of major theater companies, but declined to discuss them. The theater project is planned for the second phase of the massive development along the Mystic River in Somerville. It will be located near the proposed Ikea location and probably won’t open until 2011 or 2012.

“The theater leaving really doesn’t accelerate our plans,” said Bob Walsh, Federal’s director of development.[/quote]

Ron Newman on February 2, 2007 at 12:52 am

The Somerville News reports that Planet Fitness gym will move into the cinema building, from its current location across the street. The paper isn’t the most reliable source of local news, so I don’t know how trustworthy this report is.

Ron Newman on January 16, 2007 at 12:50 am

Somebody at the Globe or AMC goofed up. The theatre is definitely closed, but today’s Globe still has an ad listing showtimes.

Ron Newman on January 15, 2007 at 4:54 pm

The final day’s movies at Assembly Square, before it closed its doors forever:'

Freedom Writers
Code Name: The Cleaner
Happily N'ever Afer
Black Christmas
Night at the Museum
Rocky Balboa
Charlotte’s Web
The Pursuit of Happyness
The Holiday
Unaccompanied Minors (matinees only)
Blood Diamond
Happy Feet
Casino Royale (one show only)

The last showings started between 7:00 and 8:15, and the final show finished a little after 10 pm. By that time, workers were already taking down letters from the marquee and handing them out to whoever wanted one.

Judy, the manager, told me that she had worked here since 1983. She wore a Sack Theatres badge on her final day. According to her, the theatre’s 25-year lease expires on January 31, and they have to remove everything from the building by then.

Ron Newman on January 7, 2007 at 4:55 pm

I called again today. The manager told me the last day of operation will be Monday, January 15 (MLK holiday), and that it will be demolished after it closes.

Ron Newman on December 26, 2006 at 12:10 pm

I phoned this theatre and asked, “are you closing soon?” The lady who answered the phone said, “We have no lease beyond the end of January.”

Ron Newman on November 27, 2006 at 5:53 pm

On the Somerville Theatre page there is now speculation that Assembly Square will soon close. The place certainly isn’t up to AMC’s usual standards.

Ron Newman on November 15, 2005 at 12:27 am

I went to this theatre last Friday night to see Wallace & Gromit, and the place did not seem at all bustling or busy. Will AMC modernize it, replace it, or close it?

IanJudge
IanJudge on February 10, 2005 at 12:25 pm

I don’t believe that Assembly has a union booth. I am pretty sure the union would not tolerate it, but perhaps they don’t want to rock the already unsteady boat.

Ron Newman on February 10, 2005 at 9:54 am

Why doesn’t the union complain about the poor working conditions? I would not want to work in any place where water and electricity coexisted.

IanJudge
IanJudge on February 10, 2005 at 8:48 am

I must say that it is worse – I was there recently on a rainy day to pick up a print and the lobby was full of bins for catching the many leaks in the ceiling. The projection booth was also a mess, with projectors running while covered in tarps to keep the water off of them – not something I’d feel safe working in. With the lack of a local ‘regional office’ in Boston now (after reorganization, Loews' regions were expanded as to minimize local office staffs) it is possible the people in the home office have no idea the theater is so bad. The thing is, they lease the space, so why not demand to the landlord it be fixed?

br91975
br91975 on February 10, 2005 at 8:26 am

A dump of a theatre. When I last went there in ‘97, I remember a good number of the screens being stained in some way or another, old, unfortable seats, and the overall cleanliness of the building leaving something to be desired. I can’t imagine, given the lack of maintenance Loews generally appoints its properties, that the situation is much better now.

Ron Newman on February 10, 2005 at 7:59 am

Assembly Square is the only former Sack theatre that Loews still operates today.