Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,451 comments

Orlando
Orlando on April 17, 2015 at 10:29 am

JamesD: It is not the stupidest statement ever made on this site but an accurate one. I lived and experienced it during the last 50 years of my life. If you can say the same, good for you and maybe you can write an introduction fitting the Loew’s Kings and Kings Theatre as it is now known. Did you ever see a film at the theatre, better yet have you seen it after its' re-opening. Were you born in 1977 or a little before??? You don'’t have to answer the questions because I really don’t care about what you have to say. I watched over this building over the 37 years it was closed visiting every year, several times the years. I know the true story of the Kings while in operation and during its' closed years and the meetings to save it. As a matter of fact, if it weren’t for me, there would be no Kings Theatre today. And I am not stupid, Erasmus Hall High School gave us all in 1974 a great HS, if not a college education.

JamesD
JamesD on April 17, 2015 at 5:26 am

“If you haven’t lived and experienced it first hand, then regrettably you don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I’ve read some stupid statements on Cinema Treasures in the past, but that was by far the stupidest. I agree that Cinema Treasures can be inaccurate, but such is the case with a lot of user edited postings (such as wikipedia.) I guess everyone who attended movie palaces in their heyday should write everything down so that everyone else can know exactly what to talk about.

At the same time we should probably stop listening to historians about ancient Greece, the Civil War, etc because they were born long after it happened and obviously don’t know what they are talking about.

Orlando
Orlando on April 16, 2015 at 9:40 am

By the way, there is a lot of wrong information in the introduction that needs to be corrected. You need someone who lived and attended the theatre and not some incorrect statements and rumors made by people born after 1977 to get a true introduction. If you haven’t lived and experienced it first hand, then regrettably you don’t know what your talking about.

Orlando
Orlando on April 16, 2015 at 9:31 am

On January 23, 2015, the event listed in the intro never happened due to a snow storm. It should be removed from the introduction of Kings Theatre. That event will happen on Monday, April 27th 2015 (the rescheduled date).

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 8, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Searching is weird sometimes. The theaters that pop up are the Open ones, then you have to find the tab with the closed or demolished ones…

What I do when I can’t find something specific is look for a nearby theater, in this case I looked up the Fox, and in the column on the right is a short list of nearby houses, and often — voila!

LuisV
LuisV on April 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Mike, I have no idea why it wasn’t popping up in my Theater/Theatre search nor was it in the Brooklyn Search. But I got an email notifying me when you posted there so thank you! This is great News! Now if someone would only save the Loew’s Canal!

LuisV
LuisV on April 8, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Today it was announced that LIU will be embarking on a $50MM renovation of the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre which has been used as an Athletic facility for the college for the last 50 years! The restoration will take about two years! Amazingly I have search CT for the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre and can’t find it. There is another Paramount listed in Bushwick. It must be here, no?? :–) http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/08/reborn_paramount_theater_in_brooklyn_will_look_like_this.php#more

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 7, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I know this is late notice, but tonight, April 7th, at 8:30, WNYE-TV channel 25 will be airing an episode of their Blueprint NYC series devoted to the Loew’s Wonder Theaters. If you miss it, you may be able to watch the episode at their website after it has aired.

robboehm
robboehm on April 6, 2015 at 11:16 am

OMG The photos are breathtaking. I don’t know how I would react to actually be there.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 6, 2015 at 8:06 am

Saw the Disney show (Three Classic Fairy Tales) Saturday night, and it wasn’t half bad…!

But the theater itself and the real reason I went) was spectacular in a very muted way. Lots of dark wood, earth tones, and general good taste. The lobby was a little darker than the auditorium, which had lots of gold leaf trim and highlights. You can easily see why the theater was never subdivided — the ceiling is soaring and the auditorium is w i d e…

The photos of the place are usually bright and well-lit, to show the detail, but in actual use the theater lighting is much more subdued, as you might expect in a performance space. It isn’t a grand ballroom, after all, although it resembles one!

That said, the view from the mezzanine is breathtaking.

It always breaks my heart a little to know that I missed the days when people only had to pay a quarter or a dollar to enter these neighborhood fantasy wonderlands for a couple of hours; today the cost, if you are lucky enough to find a working movie palace, is considerably more.

markp
markp on April 2, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Thanks so much Matt. And Mike, I would go in a heart beat, but I am loading out a religious show Sat till well after 8 pm.

markp
markp on March 29, 2015 at 5:23 am

Did not know it was on. Missed it.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 28, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Nice report on Saturday’s NBC Nightly News…

Orlando
Orlando on March 23, 2015 at 8:57 am

To Mr. Greenberg.

The furnishings, couch, king high back chairs, the wooden carved chair, the two Louis the XIV patterned chairs, round table, and two marrle top tables are now on view in the upprr mezzanine restroom all restored. No one is allowed to sit on them and they are ropped off. Your aunt, Dorothy Penzica (please forgive me if I spelt the last name wrong, was manager of the Loew's Kings when I was attending the theatre from 1966 to 1975. I remember her well. At the time (1970-1974), I worked at the Granada Theatre at Church and Nostrand Avenues. There was a policy between the seven theatres to pass employees from the Beverly, Kenmore, Astor, Albemarle, Granada, Kings and Rialto to each other for coplimentary movies. I always paid to see movies at these theatres and didn't ask for passes to the other theatres and was unaware of the policy. In 1972, I told my manager at the Granada (Mr. Sam L.) that I was going to the "Loew-eze" to see a movie and he said he would call me in a pass. Being unawre ot the pass policy, I told him I didn,t know about and he said to me "You've been paying to go to all those theatres? Ha! Ha!" and I said yes. He then told me about the policy and got me into the Loew's Kings. When I got there, your aunt, Mrs. Penzica was called out to the box office and personally escorted me into the theatre on my pass. She said to me, "I've seen you here before many times and took me to the office. She offered me a job and I said, "I've worked at the Granada for four years and the staff there is like my second family and like me a lot." She understood as she smiled at me. I said "Thank you very much for the offer and told her "I loved the Loew's Kings very much" She replied, "Thank you and you are welcome here anytime." What a fantastic manager she was and a fine person she is to deed the furniture back to Kings Theatre. I will watch over it in her memory as long as I am an employee of her Kings Theatre. Working there today was a life long dream of mine and it became true when I was offered a position at the theatre by the current ACE Theatrical Group for which I have the highest gratitude. Thank you Matt (for taking care of your own), Charley (for spotting me take a picture of the facade) and Jason and Dan for training me for a live venue. Most of all the Front of House Staff (you all know who you are), for being the great people that you are, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

and look forward to seeing you every time I work, you are my family at every event in our Kings Theatre.

Sincerely yours,

Orlando Lopes

NYer
NYer on March 23, 2015 at 8:41 am

Please sgreenberg report back on her reaction. I can’t imagine it would be anything but a thrill for her to see how glorious this cinema treasure looks now.

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on March 22, 2015 at 8:20 am

I was so happy to see how beautiful the restoration of the Kings was when I attended the open house last month. I got some nice photos and hope to show them to my aunt Dorothy, who retired as the manager of the Loew’s Kings in the ‘70s. She’s now 101 years old and I’m sure she’ll be thrilled at the news of the theater’s return.

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 19, 2015 at 5:57 am

There is a photo online of that sign underneath the marquee online just as Orlando describes. Also that original sign was covered up by another sign that simply said “Welcome To Loew’s Kings Showcase Theatre” I wonder where both those signs are today? I hope they were saved for prosperity.

Orlando
Orlando on February 18, 2015 at 8:45 am

The original 1929 letters were opaque 3-D glass with black outlines. Uncovered during renovation above the box office wer the same letters with the black outlines painted gold, what a suprise! They wer up for some months and spelled out: Top Line WELCOME TO LOEW’S KINGS SHOWCASE THEATRE 2nd: LATE SHOWS ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHTS.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 14, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Orlando for the great answers. I thought neon came along in the 30’s. Now I know I was wrong. Years and years later LED is the fashion of the times.

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 14, 2015 at 10:09 am

Orlando! Thank your for the amazing description of the original neon! Did the Kings originally use milk glass letter to spell out the titles of the films that were playing? I see that the Jersey originally had a French Curve marquee similar to the Kings, but nowhere near as ornate. Both were replaced in 1949, that the Jersey still has. I wish someone saved the neon letter from the former Kings marquee, although the Loew’s name was off of it at the end.

Orlando
Orlando on February 14, 2015 at 8:25 am

The original (first marquee)was a high hat style and had stationary lights under the canopy and the reader boards were back lit. The corners were tiffany-like curves also back lit. The vertical sign (NOT BLADE SIGN) was neon but not animated. The second marquee had larger reader boards which had lime green neon all around the chaser lights borders inside and out (2 strips of green that went on and off. The front of the marquee had two panels that spelled out “Loew’s Kings” in red Loew’s lit up first and then Kings and then did an on of sequence and repeated same. The vertical sign had L O E W ‘ S in red neon andd horizontal white tubing (neon). It was very animated and went like this, each letter would light up from top to bottom andd then the white horizontal tubing would follow, when it was all lit up, the “LOEW’S” name wouldd flash on and off three times, go off and then the white tubing would go off from top to bottom. The cycle repeated itself. The “Loew’s” name would also on occasin would grow fron the inner most part of the letters to the outer most. Each letter had an inner, middle and outer neon tube. I know it will be hard to envision this, but take my word on this, you could see this vertical sign from Maple Street where I lived on Flatbush Avenue almost 15 blocks away. The Albemarle and thhe Kenmore also had fabulous marquees and vertical signs. I wish we had the sophisticated cameras of today back then. What is imbedded in my memory will always be there forever!

P.S. Find the 1970 film “Cotton Comes To Harlem” in Pan and Scan and you will see Loew’s Victoria which had the same Loew’s Kings marquee. You will see it working in on of the night scenes. The new Kino Lorber widescreen version omits it however.

Remember Kings Theatre is a Performing Arts Center, so there is no need for any type of chasing lights. A new replica of the vertical sign will read K I N G S with Theatre below it when it is installed at a later date. Personally, I think I would like to see the terra cotta without any sign on it.

curmudgeon
curmudgeon on February 14, 2015 at 6:25 am

Hi Orlando. I’m also intrigued as to whether neon lighting was much used in the 1920’s era of the Kings. I agree with BobbyS, nothing equals the chaser bulbs to create an atmosphere of excitement and theatrical splendour. Here in Melbourne, Her Majesty’s Theatre is a true theatrical treat with the expanse of (energy efficient) chaser bulbs lighting up our theatrical district.