St. George Theatre

25 Hyatt Street,
St. George, NY 10301

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm

garth I am going through back issue of the Village Voice online.

These are great history lessons. The old movie and theatre ads,plus reviews. Not to mention just being able toread about the city from back then

Garth
Garth on November 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Back then on weeknights the film would be shown twice, with a matinee on Wednesday afternoon. Then the continous showings on weekends but the only midnight shows would be special features like Rocky Horror. I don’t recall the St. George having any of these midnight shows. rivoli may I ask where you are getting the info on the bookings?

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Still on top.

March 1973- “Childs Play” on a double bill w/ “The First Circle”

Nov 1973- “Billy Jack”

A question. During the week was there only one showing per evening, and then on weekends multiple showings?

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Talk about your highs and lows. From “Frogs” in July 1972,to “Lady Sings The Blues” in November , 1972

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Thank you garth,I appreciate the info. I just came across an engagement in July 1972 for the film “Frogs”.

Seems the St George suffered the same fate as the two theatres in my Long Island hometown. The Grove and The Freeport

Garth
Garth on November 19, 2011 at 11:38 am

rivoli , in the ‘70s they alternated between major releases and occasional grindhouse fare. I recall seeing “The Exorcist” and “The Longest Yard” there, along with “Ilsa: She-wolf of the SS” and a double bill of “Mark of the Devil” and “Last House on the Left”. Also some blaxploitation flicks such as “Hit!” with Billy Dee Williams.

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 19, 2011 at 11:25 am

And I have friends in the series, so I will keep an eye out. Thank you

Seems the St. George was still booking rather big in the early 70s.

Jan 1971-“Catch-22”

April- 1971- “Tora! Tora! Tora!”

Garth
Garth on November 19, 2011 at 6:20 am

The filming last week was for a new TV series called “Smash” , a Spielberg production about aspiring theatre performers.

Vito
Vito on November 19, 2011 at 3:48 am

St George I worked on that booth a few years back and left in usable two projector operation. Some additional work was recomended on the gear train on projector #2 and the scope lenses were mising but it was a workable operation The sound system, stage speaker and lamp houses were all working fine. What has happened up there since?

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 19, 2011 at 3:44 am

This past week the interior of the theatre was being used as a location for the filming of some feature, could not see what the title was. Lots of activity though

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 19, 2011 at 3:29 am

Have always been interestd in what films have played at this theatre. Recently came across some listings, “Rosemarys Baby”, in 1969 a re-issue of “Camelot"and as per the Village Voice, on Oct.1,1970 "Hello, Dolly!”.

Am very happy for the restoration and re-opening of this theatre. Please, the marquee needs to be replaced, it is awful to look at.

StGeorge
StGeorge on November 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Yes, unfortunately the projection booth is still in a state of disrepair and we (for the time being) still have to settle for DVD presentations. However, it’s still exciting to see a film like The Exorcist on the big screen in such a spectacular theatre!

Garth
Garth on November 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm

StGeorge , thanks for the info on the larger screen. Do you know if The Exorcist was still a DVD presentation? If not I would have attended had I known.

StGeorge
StGeorge on November 1, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Just a couple of corrections: The St. George address is 35 Hyatt, not 25; seating capacity is now only 1,786 and movies are rarely shown. However, The Exorcist was just shown for Halloween and the theatre just obtained a new, larger screen so hopefully more films are on the way! Recent sell-out shows included Paul Anka, Dianna Ross, Brett Michaels and Liza Minnelli.

KenJones
KenJones on August 20, 2011 at 6:33 am

Just want to correct some information in my comment of October 19, 2010.

The Rock ‘n Roll show I was in took place in November 1961, not in October 1960. That would have made me 15 years old, not 14 years old.

And, in case anyone really cares, the group I was with was called, Tommy Tucker & The Lullabyes.

Sorry for the previous error.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on August 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

This is my flickr photoset for the St. George Theatre for all to enjoy. It is courtesy of Michael Perlman of the Four Borough Neighborhood Presrvation Alliance:

or

Garth
Garth on June 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Oh and also during the afternoon screenings some of the (10) people there were fielding cel phone calls. And a baby was there. It has become impossible to not be a part of other people’s lives. I think I’ll make a documentary on this and be part of next year’s festival.

Garth
Garth on June 10, 2011 at 11:31 am

I just came from the film fest. Of course they were DVD’s and the balcony was once again closed. I was not amused.

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on February 5, 2011 at 11:59 am

I’ve seen 2 concerts at this theater in the last couple years. The last one, featuring Frankie Avalon, Fabian and Bobby Rydell, was last October. This is a magnificent golden age theater, the archetecture is beautiful beyond belief. Sort of reminds me of the Loews Kings in Brooklyn, which I went to numerous times growing up in Brooklyn. I hear that they are trying to renovate that for live performances as well. About time, I’ve thought that they should have done that years ago.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on January 19, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I am surprised that this has not been noted on this page previously, but Mayor Bloomberg held his State of the City Speech at this theater earlier today. Though this had nothing cinematic about it – and the Mayor is hardly an idol of the silver screen – it is certainly worth noting.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Some photos turn up early in this recent Forgotten New York article, but I don’t know if there’s anything that we haven’t seen before: View link

KenJones
KenJones on October 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I remember the St. George Theater during the 1950’s and early 1960’s.

I went to McKee High School right down the street on St. Marks Place, and would pass the St. George literally every day (at least those days when I’d actually show up for school).

In fact, as an aspiring singer (at the ripe old age of 14) I actually performed as part of a doo wop signing act in a rock ‘n roll stage show in October 1960.

The show included The Shirells, The Videos, Tony Orlando, The Marcels, Freddie Cannon, among others.

At just 14 years old, I nearly wet my pants standing out on that stage. But, I wouldn’t have missed that opportunity for the world.

What a HUGE place; almost 3,000 seats. Just looking up at that ceiling gave me a feeling of being so small in comparison.

But, when that blue-white spotlight hit me, and the whole audience disappeared into a black background, I was in another world; I’ll never forget that moment. It was a combination of total fear and total adulation … I LOVED IT!

I’m very happy to see that the St. George Theater has been restored. It’s a beautiful place with history absorbed into every fiber of its many surfaces.

I hope it lives for many, many decades to come.

Ken Jones

Vito
Vito on September 17, 2010 at 10:39 am

DVDs so I am not interested.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on September 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

Theatre of Terror at the St. George Theatre on Saturday 30th October 2010.

Tour the Haunted Theatre at 2.30pm
“Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein” at 4.00pm

Tour the Haunted Theatre at 7.30pm
Bela Lugosi in “Dracula” at 9.00pm

Tickets $18 each performance

Further details on the St. George Theatre official website above.