Olympic Theater Concert Hall

851 Prospect Avenue,
Bronx, NY 10459

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on March 29, 2006 at 8:03 am

Robin Williams is filming feture film “August Rush” in this theater all week.

Astyanax
Astyanax on January 11, 2005 at 6:17 pm

Glad to know that the old Prospect is alive and well. In the late ‘50’s my family would travel from B'klyn to the So. Bronx to visit relatives and frequently would catch a Spanish language movie at the Prospect. The theatre also presented live stage shows with mariachi bands and stars of the Mexican movies. Too bad that the Loews Paradise, the Loews Kings or even the DeMille have not enjoyed a similar restoration.

vasilakisgr
vasilakisgr on November 27, 2004 at 8:51 am

New e-mail

charliek
charliek on September 12, 2004 at 11:47 am

To view interesting “then” and “now” images of the Prospect Theatre, click here:

Take note of how those rooftop water tanks have survived for nearly a century.

MarcoAcevedo
MarcoAcevedo on March 30, 2004 at 8:27 am

Funny, yesterday I was reminiscing about my childhood in the South Bronx in the 60s and 70s when I left a comment for the President Theater of Westchester Avenue. So of course I did a search for my beloved Prospect Theater on this site, as I’d done many times before, and once again come up empty -handed. I never dreamed it had been restored and renamed! When I searched on the Web, I was directed back to this page, and got a big surprise. I immediately recognized the interior, especially the big double columns on either side of the stage. I remember vividly keeping one eye on the screen and the other on the door situated behind the columns because I knew that at a certain point one of the uniformed ushers would emerge with a stack of ice cream cups (remember the little wooden spoons?) to sell to the kiddies from the sidelines, while the film was in progress. In retrospect it was a smart thing for the management to do; it kept us quiet as we licked away!

I lived in the McKinley Houses on Tinton Avenue a few blocks north of the theater; the Prospect was definitely my household’s social hub. There was a time in the late 60s when it seemed we were at the theater every Sunday to catch the latest Mexican mariachi western starring the great Antonio Aguilar, or Jorge Negrete, or Luis Aguilar (relation to Antonio?) who in particular had a gift for comedy as well as being a a romantic lead, and of course, being mariachis they could all sing their hearts out besides being great horsemen and two-fisted champions of good. We were Puerto Rican but I always felt my dad had a Mexican soul; he loved those movies so. My mom went for the romantic comedies and dramas starring the latest Latino pop idols: Raphael, Sandro, and later Julio Iglesias. Ialso remember seeing movie treatments of popular Latino soap operas. Unlike their American counterparts, these soaps were more like long-running miniseries, structured like novels with beginnings, middles, and endings. Of course, my brother and I loved best the masked Mexican wrestlers, who fought in the ring by day and battled master criminals, zombies, Aztec mummies and vampires by night (El Santo, the Silver-masked One, even had a secret laboratory and hot convertible sportscar, kind of like a south-of-the-border Batman). So while we went further afield (Fordham Road, Eastside Manhattan, Times Square) to catch the Hollywood blockbusters, we were nurtured by the Prospect, now the Olympic, on a week to week basis. Needless to say I’m going to have to come visit the old neighborhood after nearly 30 years to pay my respects and relive old times.

unknown
unknown on October 23, 2003 at 2:29 am

new website of the olympic theater
www.theolympictheater.com