Patio Theatre

6008 West Irving Park Road,
Chicago, IL 60634

Broan
Broan on October 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Pearselives is correct, many pay zones are free after a certain time of night.

Cheryl44
Cheryl44 on October 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

You can’t park free anywhere in the city where there is a box on the street. No more free nights, no more free Sundays, no parking holidays.

RickB
RickB on August 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm

A conversation with Patio owner Demetri Kouvalis about the digital conversion here.

pearselives1916
pearselives1916 on July 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I love this place. As far as the parking goes, most people do not know that you can park on Irving for free after 9 on Fridays and Saturdays. There may be other days, but I’m not exactly sure. The paybox will say if payment is required or not. We always go to the later show and never have any issue parking directly across the street. There is usually plenty of parking in the neighborhood and on Austin as well. Just make sure that you aren’t in a permit area and come expecting a little bit of a walk just in case.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 20, 2012 at 12:31 am

I surely hope the former Norridge patrons will discover the Patio. A real deal and not sky high prices for popcorn & drinks and a beautiful screen!! The attraction board is blank today at the Norridge and the Loews Theaters sign is removed.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Wouldn’t you think that would have been done during the first year of operation? At least not the bank but maybe the church, somewhere. Parking is a must in todays movie business. No parking=loss of future patrons. Portage has a deal with Sears big lot. Who wants to pay for Chicago’s high street parking fees. Outrage and insane idea…

gompka
gompka on July 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

They have tried that in the past and it didn’t work out, but then again the bank may be under new management.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Didn’t know about the Norridge closing. It was opened last week. Is this for sure? If only the Patio had parking. I find it hard to believe the Loews Norridge patrons would travel down the street to a second-run house and not to a nearby multi screen house. I think the Pickwick would benefit because they show first-run and have parking aplenty!

Broan
Broan on July 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Norridge closing should be good for the Patio. Hope they can get the word out.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 13, 2012 at 11:51 am

btkrefft, I don’t remember the Gateway having a vertical sign. The Portage of course did and quite high and I don’t know what year in came down. I was impressed by the Patio’s picture you posted. I always thought a vertical with chasing lights was the icing on the cake for a movie palace..

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 13, 2012 at 3:07 am

Great picture of the vertical. I wonder why it was removed? Nice to see trolley buses too. No polution and cheap to operate I imagine.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on July 7, 2012 at 4:39 pm

An article about the fund-raising effort to enable the acquisition of digital equipment: View link

rivest266
rivest266 on June 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm

This opened on January 29th, 1927. I uploaded the grand opening ad in the photo section for this cinema.

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on May 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

Rather than requesting donations, perhaps the owner of the theater should incorporate and sell shares to raise the funds to purchase digital equipment. Donations work best when there is a tax write-off from a non profit.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on May 23, 2012 at 3:29 am

DaveM
DaveM on December 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm

See the attached letter from Demetri Kouvalis on rogerebert.com;

It would be a shame to lose the Patio at this point. We’ve been out to see Thor, Drive, Fast Five, Crazy Stupid Love, Puss in Boots, Back to the Future, Pirates and Columbiana since the Patio reopened, and we don’t even live in Portage Park. It would be a shame to lose the theater again.

Go Patio!

whtesoxfan56
whtesoxfan56 on October 13, 2011 at 12:25 am

Darn, that’s sad to hear the man who brought this theater back to decent shape up till 2001 passed away. I’m glad his son chose to reopen it, and will hopefully keep it going for years and years to come.

Heck, I remember the recorded answering machine greetings that I believe he probably recorded each week, back when Alex ran the theater.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on October 5, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’m sad to report that Alex Kouvalis has passed away http://www.suntimes.com/news/obituaries/8021778-418/alexander-kouvalis-remembered-as-savior-of-patio-theater.html

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Brian and I are thinking alike on this one. The theatre clearly adds something to the city. But it is also clearly not a highly lucrative operation. Little is gained and much is lost by taxing it to death.

Broan
Broan on July 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I think it would be possible to exempt four screens or less since they’re at a competitive disadvantage to the larger screens, or exempt second run, or a combination of the two

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 11, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I think the amusement tax is helpful for the city when it concerns ball games, rock concerts etc. They probably can’t exempt classic movie theaters because it is for profit as well as the movie theaters located in the city. That is why a first-run movie house costs more in the city vs.suburbs. I hope the crowds keep up the attendence.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I think that city amusement tax is a dinosaur from a bygone era. Back in the day running a movie theatre was lucrative. Nowadays assessing this tax is like trying to get blood from a stone. Not surprisingly it is taking government officials many decades to catch up to this fact.

EricV
EricV on July 11, 2011 at 11:26 am

Saw “Super 8” this past Saturday, theatre looks great. I hope it gets the business it requires to be a success. http://patiotheater.net/

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 7, 2011 at 12:18 am

The Patio also looked great Sat night. Another large crowd and the stars were twinkling and the clouds were a drifting. Everybody applauded when the picture was over. The marquee needs some work.

WHALER66
WHALER66 on June 6, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Sounds like the Portage all over again; the city trying to squeeze a potential owner until they have to say uncle and walk away.