Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,449 comments

mdvoskin on August 12, 2015 at 7:25 am

All Loews Theatres, as with most other large circuits, were booked by the headquarters booking office. A theatre manager could make suggestions, but that is about it for local involvement. I believe, but not sure, that the booking office was located in Manhattan at the time.

I doubt that they were trying to drive the place into the ground. More likely, exploitation films are the ones that were the most profitable for that location at the time. The same forces that drove the 42nd street NYC theatres from being the showplace of the nation to the sleaze center of the nation was at work in all the major cities. These theatres could only draw customers from the immediate area, and there were a lot of screens in Jersey City for the given population.

theatrefan on August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am

I was looking at the movies that played here as a Loews house in it’s final years of operation from about 82-86 and the endless parade of B-movie Blood, Gore, Slasher, Exploitation, Kung Fu films never seemed to end. I think every movie that such secondary studios like New World Pictures put out played here. Was film booking for this theatre handled centrally at the Loews Headquarters in Secaucus NJ or locally? If so were they intentionally trying to drive this place into the ground or was it just Hollywood’s release pattern that existed at the time?

walterk on May 30, 2015 at 8:16 am

Here’s a link to FOL’s public statement on the court ruling. They apparently agree that bringing a concert promoter in would be a good thing and also mention a little more than $2.5 million that is available for repairs and upgrades, a little more than $500k is grant money FOL won for fire safety and other code upgrades, and the city received another $2 million from an area developer to make repairs on the theatre.

Let’s hope we start seeing this money spent now that the court case is over.

markp on May 29, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I think LuisV has a great idea. Now if only the right people would see it.

LuisV on May 29, 2015 at 11:22 am

Seems to me the best of both worlds would be to bring in AEG to work WITH Friends of Loews to finish the restoration of the grand theater along with installing AC and hopefully restoring the Blade while REQUIRING that showing films always be a part of the programming at the Loews Jersey! They have the desperately needed money. Why is that a problem??

bolorkay on May 29, 2015 at 11:09 am

Congratulations to the FOL.

Great news indeed.

mdvoskin on May 29, 2015 at 10:52 am

Friends Of The Loews won today’s round in their court case with the city. Their lease is valid, the city can’t throw them out and lease the theatre to someone else.

Click Here For News Story

bolorkay on May 23, 2015 at 6:09 am

This is just speculation on my part, but the last time I visited the Loews there was some discussion of a “Sci-Fi Weekend” for the end of this month. Any word on this yet?

BobbyS on April 22, 2015 at 12:30 am

I was in this beautiful movie palace last fall and when the organ appeared before the film it was magic! When he played the huanted song that was in the film on the pipes as the crowds were leaving was something you do not get these days. You cannot imagine unless you were there. The organ souded in prime form. I live in the mid-west and can’t wait to get back. A 70mm film ! Wow. Only LA has showings regularly in that format. Think I’ll join “Friends of the Loew’s”. Imagine seeing “Ben-Hur” at the Jersey?? at

markp on April 8, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Already autotuned. Thanks.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 7, 2015 at 8:30 pm

It looks like it’s on twice more — Friday at 2:30pm and Monday at 4:00am.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 7, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I know this is late notice, but tonight, April 7th, at 8:30, WNYE-TV channel 25 will be airing an episode of their Blueprint NYC series devoted to the Loew’s Wonder Theaters. If you miss it, you may be able to watch the episode at their website after it has aired.

mdvoskin on March 19, 2015 at 7:03 am

March 2015 Movies At The Loews Jersey

Friday March 27 – To Have And Have Not – 8:00pm

Saturday March 28 – Swing Time – 6:00pm
Saturday March 28 – North By North West – 8:15pm

It is my understanding that all 3 films will be 35mm film presentations.

Visit The The Landmark Loews Jersey For More Information.

DavidM on March 1, 2015 at 10:28 am

A friend and I were at the Jersey on 2/28 to see Some Like It Hot. It’s the first time I saw it on the big screen. The movie and the organ concert (played by a 12 year old virtuoso) transcended amazing.

theatrefan on February 12, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Bill, I hope so as well, can’t wait to see what it will look like once they get it up and running. It was always a treat to see movie projected in 70mm back in the past.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 12, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Theatrefan: the Loew’s Jersey did not originally have a 70mm projector, but I hope it will have one someday soon.

theatrefan on February 12, 2015 at 9:46 am

Auditorium #12 in the Sony/Loews Theatres Lincoln Square complex on New York’s Upper West Side is named in honor of this former Loew’s Motion Picture Palace.

theatrefan on February 6, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Was here for Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, last week. I tell you there is nothing like seeing real 35mm film projected on the silver screen in a real movie palace! Plus the mighty Robert Morton Wonder Organ being played before the show was like the icing on the cake. I can’t wait to see a 70mm film here when they get it up & running. Did the Jersey originally have 70mm capabilities?

Kurtpvincent on January 28, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Wow, I just read on wikipedia that they are trying to become 70mm equipped. That would be incredible. I am going to look into this and see how I can help.

mdvoskin on January 20, 2015 at 1:23 pm

January 2015 Movies At The Loews Jersey

Friday Jan 30 – Cat On A Hot Tin Roof – 8PM

Saturday Jan 31 – White Heat – 6PM
Saturday Jan 31 – Dog Day Afternoon – 8:20PM

Visit The The Landmark Loews Jersey For More Information.

BobbyS on December 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I was so happy to be in New York around Halloween. I used a family car and drove myself to the Loew’s to see “The Shinning”. What a beautiful theater !! The organ sounded wonderful as he played for an hour for the crowds were huge outside. A night I will never forget. The group that runs the theater are to be hailed for their effort keeping this beautiful theater alive. Congrats to all !!

bolorkay on August 6, 2014 at 9:14 am

Hi Altoblanco… “What does the Loews Jersey mean to me?” (Sorry, I don’t want this to sound like an elementary school “post-summer” creative writing essay !) But for all of us who love film, this question really should be answered. For me, if I were to respond to this question with one word, it would have to be “heritage”, both “personal” and “communal”. As a resident of Hudson County for the first 31 years of my life, just about every weekend would find me on the #1 Boulevard bus on my way to Journal Square, final destination.. the great Loews Jersey! (and occasionally the Stanley and the State.) I find it more than a bit disturbing that “heritage” is a concept that has such little value these days. (just about now, I am imagining those cries of “nostalgia” or “why don’t you stop living in the past !”) But where would any community be without a sense of its history and a respect for the foundations of that community? The Loews is one of those very few venues where I make it a point to attend not always for the films they present (although there have been some great programs such as the James Bond weekend, the Film Noir presentations and the early Sc-Fi Festivals) but just to sit and take in the surroundings of this grand architectural marvel! (a kind of “meditation” for me, if you will.)

Our Heritage needs to be preserved! (The FOL have done a wonderful job in this respect.) Bob

Altoblanco on June 27, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Here is the latest in the unfortunate battle between Friends of the Loew’s and Mayor Fulop for control of the theater.

Now, more than ever, FOL needs public support. Despite the many obstacles placed before them, they have remained true to their mission of not only saving, renovating and maintaining this magnificent slice of history, but also operating and sustaining it as a precious and necessary cultural and community resource for the citizens of Jersey City and beyond. Now THEIR survival is at stake! Loew’s Jersey’s supporters, customers and friends must let their voices be heard if this iconic building is to remain in the hands of the people, for the people.

The Mayor and big government should not be allowed to strong-arm their way in, take over the “people’s palace” and turn it into a symbol of self-serving opportunism and greed. It must remain ACCESSIBLE to ALL – and that can only happen if FOL stays the course. We can all help by letting our public officials know how important and invaluable FOL’s role CONTINUES to be in accomplishing this, and what it means to us to preserve Loew’s Jersey Theatre as an a NON-PROFIT, COMMUNITY-BASED arts and entertainment center that ultimately serves and benefits EVERYONE!

If you’ve ever attended any movies, shows or other events there… performed there… worked there… have personal memories or reminiscences… followed its history… advocated for its preservation… or simply admire it from a distance as a “theater buff”… What does Loew’s Jersey mean to YOU?

bolorkay on June 6, 2014 at 5:59 am

Any word yet as to what the films might be for next weekend, June 13 and 14 ?

mdvoskin on May 30, 2014 at 7:10 am

Organ accompaniment for Metropolis by Bernie Anderson.