Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,429 comments

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

It makes a lot of sense to keep a positive stance regarding the Loews because the alternative is just not acceptable. I’ve been attending their monthly film programs for nearly ten(!!!) years and it has almost become a second home. I feel quite upset to see all of the hard work and restoration efforts of the FOL be “batted” about every few years by these Jersey City politicos. It seems the Loews Jersey never stops being a “target”! It just seems that the Jersey City administration does not seem to realize what a true “gem” they have at Journal Square, attracting fans from New Jersey (I travel in from Wayne) and New York.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on April 7, 2013 at 6:07 pm

My guess is it’s just political rhetoric. The Loew’s Jersey has built momentum and popularity. It will continue to grow and improve over time.

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I am hoping that the grand Loews Landmark will survive this latest wave of political rhetoric and posturing. I guess in a very naieve sense I’ve been very heartened to see many huge crowds at the Loews monthly film weekends and their live presentations such as “Stage Craft” (not sure if that’s the correct name.) Aren’t these large audiences indicative of a positive response to what the Loew’s has been and is capable of doing for the community?

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on April 7, 2013 at 1:44 pm

OK, what’s going on with the City of Jersey City this time? “I am not committing more taxpayers dollars to the Loew’s theater,” Healy said.

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 7, 2013 at 9:56 am

Any word as to what the April films might be? May?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 18, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I saw “One, Two, Three” when it was earlier shown, in 2004 at the Loews Jersey. It was an awesome movie & looked great on the huge screen.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Cagney really gave a spectacular performance in “One, Two, Three.” A wonderful swan song, his brief late-life cinematic resurrection notwithstanding. I absolutely love this movie.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on February 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for the update. Seeing “One, Two, Three” on the big screen is going to be a real treat. I had the pleasure of seeing it at the Castro a few years ago.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on January 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

Tonight & Tomorrow Night, Presented in 35mm

A short filmed interview with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in his only appearance on film, will be presented Friday before the features.

bolorkay
bolorkay on December 31, 2012 at 11:14 am

The Christmas Spirit really found a home at the Landmark Loew’s this year, with the holiday concert and “Elf”. Looking forward to many great films and performances in 2013.

Happy and Healthy 2013, FOL. Bob

bolorkay
bolorkay on December 16, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Hi,

Are any efforts being made to help the great Loew’s Jersey enter the digital projection age while at the same time keeping its 35mm capabilities? (Thinking along the lines of fund-raisers etc.)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 18, 2012 at 2:50 am

I agree with Bob, and also the earlier film “Stairway to Heaven” (US title) was shown in a gorgeous BW & Technicolor print. Wings had a very large audience.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on November 18, 2012 at 2:47 am

A fabulous presentation at the Jersey tonight for WINGS. The focus was sharp and the changeovers were flawless. Combined with the masterful accompaniment by Bernie Anderson on the organ and the fascinating recollections of William Wellman Jr, it made for a great night of entertainment at this New Jersey showplace.

Congratulations to the projection team for an excellent show!

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on November 16, 2012 at 9:50 am

I have been informed that Keir Dullea will not be appearing at the Loews Jersey this Sunday due to change in his schedule.

Don Murray will still be here to host The Hoodlum Priest and Bus Stop, as planned.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Anybody from Philly driving there? I am eager to see Wings but due to Hurricane, mass transit (Path from Jersey City to Newark) won’t do. Would be happy to share expenses. Let me know before Saturday.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on November 11, 2012 at 2:33 pm

This coming weekend 11/17/2012 and 11/18/2012 at The Landmark Loews Jersey

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on October 22, 2012 at 10:50 pm

This coming weekend 10/26/2012 and 1/27/2012:

The Landmark Loews Jersey

markp
markp on October 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I hear you Bob. Ive always cared too much also, and now look where it got me. A projectionist with 37 years expierience and digital puts me out of work. I miss running film.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on September 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm

One point I forgot to mention. An important and respected film archivist was in the audience last night with his family. We ran into each other in the lobby after the show. He asked if they had considered utilizing a communication system between the auditorium and the booth.

I left the project in 2003 so can not speak for present policy, but I can tell you during the two years that we ran 35mm, there was constant dialogue. I was usually the one on the radio calling up to the booth when there was a problem. In those early days, focus drift was a MAJOR problem with the Kinoton projectors. We had to have communication constantly throughout the show.

Rob: perhaps this is something that should be considered for future presentations?

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on September 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thanks, Mark. My problem is that I care too much. I became involved in the fight to save the theater when it was scheduled for demolition. The 16mm shows that I presented in the lobby were not only the most successful, they attracted the most New York press during that crucial time when Hartz Mountain wanted to level the theater for an office building. I spent literally thousands of hours on the project for over a decade and introduced the late Bob Eberenz to the project. It was through Bob and Steve Levy’s tireless efforts and donation of equipment that the 35mm projection capability was restored. When we began working on the booth, it was a stripped pigeon coup. To say that it was a challenge would be an understatement.

At that time, the building had no heat or running water. We worked in the winter with heavy coats and gloves, and had to go to C.H. Martin next door just to clean up. Bob and I were there nearly every Saturday for close to ten years. Bob was a wonderful man and a dear friend and he believed in putting on the best show possible. He had worked in the film industry since 1946.

We were all volunteers. Nobody made a penny. I once asked Bob what he would charge for his time involved. He laughed and said, “They couldn’t afford me.”

For two years between 2001 and 2003, our programs gave the audience their monies worth. We ran shorts, cartoons and trailers with every show. It was not just a movie, it was the Movie Palace Experience. That’s what we believed in and what we tried to present to the audience.

When I see a sloppy show, it really hurts. It doesn’t have to be that way.

Mr. Eberenz should have a plaque in his honor in the building. He did so much not just in the booth, but with the stage lighting, organ lift, the marquee, electrical system, etc. The theater would not be where it is today if it were not for his valuable input and countless hours of volunteer work.

In closing, I have to say that Mr. Eberenz would have really liked you, Rob. You speak the same language. I’m only sorry that you never got to know him.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

A recent profile of the Loew’s Jesey can be read here.

markp
markp on September 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm

It hurts me to hear a great person like Bob have a dissappointing time at any film presentation. I know he gave me many thumbs up when I showed Jaws back in June at the Count Basie. I wanted to attend but was working a concert in Lakewood at the stadium. If my families situation was better I would love to be one of the projectionists here, having 37 years expierience, but my financial situation prohibits me at this time. Best of luck to Rob & Mitchell.

RobMinichino
RobMinichino on September 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thanks, Bob. I don’t want to throw any of our dedicated, hard-working volunteer projectionists under the bus. In the end, I’m responsible for the presentation, and if it falls short, it’s my fault.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on September 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Rob: The Loew’s Jersey is indeed fortunate to have you and Mitchell on their projection team. I know that you are fighting an uphill battle!