Loew's Jersey Theatre

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,426 comments

teecee
teecee on August 21, 2013 at 12:49 am

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on June 5, 2013 at 9:58 pm

The Landmark Loews Jersey – The Wonder Theatre Of New Jersey

The theatre is located on Journal Square in Jersey City, NJ directly across from the PATH subway station connecting Manhattan with Jersey City. It is also easy to reach from most area highways. Secure discounted parking is located directly behind the theatre. Have your parking ticket validated at the theatre’s boxoffice.

As Always, All Our Show Are Presented Exclusively From High Resolution 35mm Motion Picture Film With Genuine Carbon Arc Projection, On Our Giant 50 Foot Wide Screen.

June 7th & 8th

Science Fiction & Fantasy…

Friday June 7th, 2013

Men In Black – 8:00PM

Saturday June 8th, 2013

In Memory Of Ray Harryhausen…

20 Million Miles To Earth – 6:30PM
Jason & The Argonauts – 8:20PM

Visit The The Landmark Loews Jersey For More Information.

The Landmark Loews Jersey

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on April 12, 2013 at 7:46 pm

The Landmark Loews Jersey – The Wonder Theatre Of New Jersey

April 26th & 27th, May 3rd

Anti-War war films…

Friday April 26th, 2013

All Quit On The Western Front – 8:00PM

Saturday April 27th, 2013

Paths Of Glory – 6:00PM
Dr. Strangelove – 8:30PM

Friday May 3rd, 2013

MASH – 7:30PM, Robert Altman’s classic hosted by actress Sally Kellerman.

Visit The The Landmark Loews Jersey For More Information.

The Landmark Loews Jersey

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm

You’re right, GDellaFa. I thank goodness every time I come in for one of their monthly film weekends. The Loews has been surviving for so many decades now and in so many incarnations (the “worst” being that tri-plexing around 1976)that one would hope that the political “wolves at the door” would back off and learn to appreciate the true landmark status of this wonderful film palace. My heart goes out to the FOL for putting up with this “let’s tear it down and put up an office building” mentality of some local politicians who want nothing more than to build up their own public persona.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on April 8, 2013 at 11:25 pm

bolorkay: I know exactly how you feel. I practically grew up in the Loew’s Jersey, being from Jersey City. As a kid, I was there almost every weekend. I remember when the organ was taken out, and I was heartbroken when the theatre was divided into a tri-plex. The only good thing about the tri-plex was that if you ordered tickets for Theatre 3 (I think it was), you got to sit in the balcony, and the movie was shown on the original screen. Of course it is far, far better in its restored configuration. In my opinion, I think they know what they have in the Loew’s Jersey, but unfortunately, its location comes with “Jersey politics.” It is definitely a gem; and given that it still shows movies and has a theatre pipe organ, that makes it rare and special today. It is truly one of the grand old palaces. Thank goodness we still have it!

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

It makes a lot of sense to keep a positive stance regarding the Loews because the alternative is just not acceptable. I’ve been attending their monthly film programs for nearly ten(!!!) years and it has almost become a second home. I feel quite upset to see all of the hard work and restoration efforts of the FOL be “batted” about every few years by these Jersey City politicos. It seems the Loews Jersey never stops being a “target”! It just seems that the Jersey City administration does not seem to realize what a true “gem” they have at Journal Square, attracting fans from New Jersey (I travel in from Wayne) and New York.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on April 7, 2013 at 11:07 pm

My guess is it’s just political rhetoric. The Loew’s Jersey has built momentum and popularity. It will continue to grow and improve over time.

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I am hoping that the grand Loews Landmark will survive this latest wave of political rhetoric and posturing. I guess in a very naieve sense I’ve been very heartened to see many huge crowds at the Loews monthly film weekends and their live presentations such as “Stage Craft” (not sure if that’s the correct name.) Aren’t these large audiences indicative of a positive response to what the Loew’s has been and is capable of doing for the community?

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on April 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm

OK, what’s going on with the City of Jersey City this time? “I am not committing more taxpayers dollars to the Loew’s theater,” Healy said.

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 7, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Any word as to what the April films might be? May?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 19, 2013 at 2:48 am

I saw “One, Two, Three” when it was earlier shown, in 2004 at the Loews Jersey. It was an awesome movie & looked great on the huge screen.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 19, 2013 at 2:41 am

Cagney really gave a spectacular performance in “One, Two, Three.” A wonderful swan song, his brief late-life cinematic resurrection notwithstanding. I absolutely love this movie.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on February 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Thanks for the update. Seeing “One, Two, Three” on the big screen is going to be a real treat. I had the pleasure of seeing it at the Castro a few years ago.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on January 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Tonight & Tomorrow Night, Presented in 35mm

A short filmed interview with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in his only appearance on film, will be presented Friday before the features.

bolorkay
bolorkay on December 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm

The Christmas Spirit really found a home at the Landmark Loew’s this year, with the holiday concert and “Elf”. Looking forward to many great films and performances in 2013.

Happy and Healthy 2013, FOL. Bob

bolorkay
bolorkay on December 17, 2012 at 3:51 am

Hi,

Are any efforts being made to help the great Loew’s Jersey enter the digital projection age while at the same time keeping its 35mm capabilities? (Thinking along the lines of fund-raisers etc.)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 18, 2012 at 7:50 am

I agree with Bob, and also the earlier film “Stairway to Heaven” (US title) was shown in a gorgeous BW & Technicolor print. Wings had a very large audience.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on November 18, 2012 at 7:47 am

A fabulous presentation at the Jersey tonight for WINGS. The focus was sharp and the changeovers were flawless. Combined with the masterful accompaniment by Bernie Anderson on the organ and the fascinating recollections of William Wellman Jr, it made for a great night of entertainment at this New Jersey showplace.

Congratulations to the projection team for an excellent show!

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on November 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I have been informed that Keir Dullea will not be appearing at the Loews Jersey this Sunday due to change in his schedule.

Don Murray will still be here to host The Hoodlum Priest and Bus Stop, as planned.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 16, 2012 at 1:45 am

Anybody from Philly driving there? I am eager to see Wings but due to Hurricane, mass transit (Path from Jersey City to Newark) won’t do. Would be happy to share expenses. Let me know before Saturday.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on November 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

This coming weekend 11/17/2012 and 11/18/2012 at The Landmark Loews Jersey

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on October 23, 2012 at 3:50 am

This coming weekend 10/26/2012 and 1/27/2012:

The Landmark Loews Jersey

markp
markp on October 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I hear you Bob. Ive always cared too much also, and now look where it got me. A projectionist with 37 years expierience and digital puts me out of work. I miss running film.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on October 1, 2012 at 1:56 am

One point I forgot to mention. An important and respected film archivist was in the audience last night with his family. We ran into each other in the lobby after the show. He asked if they had considered utilizing a communication system between the auditorium and the booth.

I left the project in 2003 so can not speak for present policy, but I can tell you during the two years that we ran 35mm, there was constant dialogue. I was usually the one on the radio calling up to the booth when there was a problem. In those early days, focus drift was a MAJOR problem with the Kinoton projectors. We had to have communication constantly throughout the show.

Rob: perhaps this is something that should be considered for future presentations?