Castro Theatre

429 Castro Street,
San Francisco, CA 94114

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on August 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Screen masking is used when widescreen films are shown to achieve a screen size with the appropriate ratio; the Castro can show just about any film format, including 70mm films (except, of course, for three-panel Cinerama). I saw “Lawrence of Arabia there some years ago; it looked magnificent. They will soon be showing a 70mm print of “Vertigo”.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm

The screen looks very square and small and not capable of showing movies in scope.

Mikeyisirish
Mikeyisirish on June 26, 2012 at 11:48 am

A few 2011 photo can be seen here, here and here.

stevenj
stevenj on December 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I met Keith Arnold, the Castro’s new programmer and general manager, by chance in front of the theater just an hour ago. He tells me the internet rumor that the theater will not be showing film after Dec 31 was spread by a disgruntled former employee and is totally false. This has also been confirmed on The Castro’s Facebook page.

Cinerama
Cinerama on December 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hi Chuck,

I would love to see those pictures of the Hartford, CT Cinerama/Colonial theatre that you have.

Thanks!

Roland

scottfavareille
scottfavareille on March 31, 2011 at 9:45 am

KTVU-2 news last night reported that the Castro Theater will now be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays starting in April. This is due to the decline of available product to play in the theater (“revival film product) and a drop in attendence. The report did state that the Castro is still "in the black”. The same report also mentioned that the Red Vic Theater is having similar problems.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on November 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Last week, my wife and I visited this neighborhood and passed by the Castro. While it was closed at the time, we really enjoyed viewing the terrific facade – and the tiles in the outer lobby were wonderful. This is something that you really have to view in the flesh.

gd14lawn
gd14lawn on November 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

Will, That is a great picture of the beautiful interior. Thanks!

darquil
darquil on April 24, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I’ve posted information and photos from a recent visit here.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 17, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Here is the ticket booth taken in 2009:

davepring
davepring on March 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Thats a great photo from the 40s…the Castro is my favourite theatre on the West Coast…but its a long way from Brighton U.K :)

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 19, 2010 at 10:38 am

This is a larger version of the photo at the top of the page:

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on July 22, 2009 at 9:43 pm

It was nice to see on the Castro website that they have returned somewhat to the kind of programming that was typical of the 1980s; the screens even look like their brochures of that period.

jackeboy
jackeboy on July 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I went to the Castro this week to see a double feature of Goodbye Mr.Chips, and Wuthering Heights. About halfway through Wuthering Heights, some people in the audience began laughing at the film in a mocking way.While waiting for the second feature, I formulated the following theory. At some point the people who were laughing had made an emotional connection with the film, but regarded themselves as too tragically hip to have that happen. So as a defense mechanism they mock.This happens fairly often at the Castro. It is especially bad during the annual Film Noir festival. You almost feel people are going to the movies to make fun of them. Comments anyone?

MPol
MPol on March 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Same here, Justin, although I’d admittedly love to see the inside of the Castro Theatre some day.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 12, 2009 at 10:56 am

I saw the theater while watching the movie “Milk”. Very classy theater, even though I haven’t been inside it.

MPol
MPol on February 23, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I love it!! Thanks, Lost Memory.

MPol
MPol on February 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Aha! Okay. Thanks for the info.

MPol
MPol on February 20, 2009 at 8:03 am

Thanks, Lost Memory. It looks like the Castro Theatre was just cleaned and renovated? Was it?

My nostalgia burns brightly.

MPol
MPol on February 19, 2009 at 5:10 pm

If the Castro Theatre wasn’t on the opposite side of the country for me, I’D go, also!

MPol
MPol on February 18, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Petula Clark performing at the Castro Theatre? Oooh…how exciting! I remember Petula Clark. I was a big fan of hers in the mid to late 1960’s, when I was a teenager, and when Petula Clark was in vogue and popular.

MPol
MPol on January 2, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Yeah……love that great-looking marquee. Thanks for the photo, Lost Memory.

MPol
MPol on December 4, 2008 at 7:16 am

What a spectacular-looking theatre, both inside and out!! Too bad about the occasional problems with the film, etc. and the lighting. Is there a way to fix it? Just curious. I don’t reside in S. F., or anywhere on the West Coast, but if was a S. F. resident, or West Coast resident, I’d be all ears, if one gets the drift.