Paramount Theatre

1501 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

AGRoura
AGRoura on September 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Tinseltoes, totally agree with you. I have written comments in the Times and Post. Emperor Bloomberg and his lunatic transportation commissioner should be committed to a hospital for the insane.

Vito
Vito on September 29, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I belive this was the engagement that was so sucessful an additional stage show was added to the day. In order to accomplish this Lewis personally cut “Irma” on a moviola in the booth by about 10 minutes in order to make up time to squeese in a another stage show each day. I am doing this from memory so if anyone recalls more or can correct me kindly do so.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on September 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

It closed In August 1964 with “The Carpetbaggers”. It then re-opened for three weeks in May 1965 when it showed the Electrovision “Harlow”, “operation Snafu” and “Black Spurs” each for one week, then closed again. It opened “Thunderball” in December of 1965 and closed for good in February 1966.

William
William on September 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Somewhere in past comments someone said “Thunderball” was a four-wall deal on the house.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 30, 2011 at 10:14 am

In the 1973 movie “Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams”, the Joanne Woodward character comments that when her mother and her walked by the Paramount on 43rd street and the doors were opened to let the patrons out, the whole street would smell like ice cream.

wally 75
wally 75 on July 26, 2011 at 12:20 am

My mother saw Sinatra there……anyone who was there are in the late 80’s or 90’s now..

davjdo
davjdo on July 25, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Error:should be “bobby sox” concerts.

DAVDJDO

davjdo
davjdo on July 25, 2011 at 9:26 pm

is there anyone who was at one of the Sinatra “booby sox"riot concerts at the Paramount?

DAVJDO

robboehm
robboehm on July 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

When I was a youngster my parents took me to the Paramount. Don’t remember what the movie was but Gene Krupa was the featured live performer. We were sitting in the last row of the balcony. But not for long. My mother had height issues and we left. Many years later we had a similar experience at the outdoor Jones Beach Marine Theatre.

Ed Miller
Ed Miller on April 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

Wasn’t “Meet Danny Wilson” a 1951 release?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Sinatra was really down on his luck in those early ‘50s years. My dad used to talk about a benefit concert he gave at the Union Club in Hoboken NJ (Sinatra’s home town, and mine) around this time. The audience heckled him and made fun of his singing voice. “From Here to Eternity” turned his career around and put him back on top shortly afterwards, but he never forgave Hoboken and didn’t return there for many years. I think the next time he came back there publicly was for his honorary doctorate from Stevens Institute of Technology, in (I think) 1985.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

William… that would have been the Hotel Claridge where Voight’s character first stayed after arriving in New York in “Midnight Cowboy.”

Tinseltoes… you describe two different programs as opening the Paramount’s 1952 Easter Holiday Show, in your posts above dated March 26 and April 9th. Which was the official Easter attraction?

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on April 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

Watch Midnight Cowboy. In the very beginning, John Voight looks out a hotel window onto Broadway. Across the street & on the left hand side is what looks like a big drop cloth. Behind that is the demolition of the Paramount taking place.

By the way, that hotel was also the site of a nother NYC landmark -the Camel sign with the guy blowing smoke rings.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on March 26, 2011 at 10:50 am

I knew someone that attended one of these shows and said the theater was only about 40% filled.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on February 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Boy, Dean and Jerry sure got around!

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on January 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Tinseltoes: you always post such fascinating and important information. Thank you SO much for sharing!

wally 75
wally 75 on December 11, 2010 at 1:52 am

Anyone remember or have ever been to the Paramount around 59th st.
It was round and small street level box office, the theatre was about 200 feet below street…

William
William on November 30, 2010 at 7:54 am

The old Paramount was gutted for the NY Times. The space they used was large from the former theatre.

wally 75
wally 75 on November 30, 2010 at 12:41 am

I saw it also but, they also had acts on stage at the Hard Rock..

It looked very large….anyone know if they are using the theatre shell of the old Paramount? has any of you been inside?

Just wondering….

lfreimauer
lfreimauer on November 18, 2010 at 11:04 am

I went to the Paramount in the 50’s to see Alan Freed and his shows. I do not believe they also showed ie during the rock,n roll engagements.

I do not believe they had a movie showing during the rock'n roll shows in the 50’s. As I remember, there was only as show.

Vito
Vito on November 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I have fond memories of that Gleason show, I took my parents to see it and my mother talked about it for months.
Here is the original ad.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 11, 2010 at 10:43 am

In the late 50,s at the Paramount how is this lineup for a concert?On the marquee,In Person Alan Freed & Holiday of Stars, Fats Domino, Jeery Lee Lewis,The Everly Brothers,Buddy Holly and the Crickets,The Rays,Danny and the Juniors,Paul Anka,on the screen “Its Great to be Young”. September 1957.

Vito
Vito on November 11, 2010 at 9:37 am

Sorry William I meant to write Tinsletoes had the title wrong.
I believe he meant “North” and not “Lost”

William
William on November 11, 2010 at 8:59 am

vito, your ad post has the same title as I posted “North to Alaska”.

Vito
Vito on November 11, 2010 at 5:19 am

I am sure William meant “Noth To Alaska"
Here is the original ad