Rialto Theatre

1085 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

criticman
criticman on May 9, 2006 at 7:16 am

In Sidney Lumet’s “Bye Bye Braverman” (1968, I think) there’s a scene where the the main characters, who’ve been driving frantically around New York looking for a funeral, stop briefly and run into a Chinese restaurant, emerging, seconds later, with a basket full of egg rolls.
That Chinese restaurant was right next to the Rialto. In between this place and the theater is either a very thin street (too thin to drive a car down) or a service alleyway, I can’t recall which.
In any event, the shots outside the restaurant were angled specifically so that the theater isn’t shown.
That was a great restaurant while it was there. It turned into other businesses afterwards, but their sign remained for years afterwards, I don’t know if it’s still up there.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 9, 2006 at 5:42 am

Wow, Frankie, that’s really interesting!

frankie
frankie on May 9, 2006 at 5:35 am

In ‘73 or '74 I took my Father’s girlfriend Rita here to see Lucy in “Mame.” I liked it !

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 17, 2006 at 5:10 am

Please disregard my 1/17/06 question. I seem to be having computer problems…And thanks, Ken. That seems to confirm what I thought. The photo was dated 1916, the same year that the Brooklyn Rialto opened.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 17, 2006 at 5:08 am

What happened to the collection of comments that followed the introduction?

KenRoe
KenRoe on January 16, 2006 at 8:45 am

Warren; I have just compared your Rialto photo above with a fairly recent photo I have of the Rialto, Brooklyn. Looks to me like the same building. Thanks for posting it.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 16, 2006 at 8:23 am

I found this photo on the Internet INCORRECTLY identified as the Rialto Theatre in Times Square, NYC. Could it possibly be the Rialto in Brooklyn? If not, I shall remove it:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/rialto16.jpg

criticman
criticman on December 1, 2005 at 8:00 pm

The Rialto was a Century theater for my entire life (I was born in 1956). I never knew it as anything else but a Century theater. This needs to be updated.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 13, 2005 at 2:04 am

In his recent autobiography “The Good, the Bad, and Me,” actor Eli Wallach (born 1915) recalls going frequently to the Rialto when he was growing up in Brooklyn.

He writes: “On Saturday the Union Street Toughs would go to the Rialto, a movie palace about three blocks from my house. The Rialto had a big marquee with red and green lights flickering on it, and I would pay for my admission with the dime I had earned during the week… We would all sit on wooden benches in the smoke-filled theater and watch Westerns starring Tom Mix, Hoot Gibson, and William S. Hart, who became my heroes…” (pages 20-21)

Wallach could not have imagined that one day he would be acting in films himself, including westerns such as “The Magnificent Seven” and “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” from which his book derives its sly title.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on January 1, 2005 at 2:55 pm

I just thought of another story about this theater. My sister took me to this theater for one of the many times I saw Walt Disney’s the Love Bug. She wanted me to describe the film and tell me what was going on. I did not know at the time I was helping her with a school project. I must have been a annoyance to people in the balcony.

KenRoe
KenRoe on December 29, 2004 at 9:22 am

The Rialto Theatre opened on 16th March 1916 with the movie “The Ne’re Do Well” starring Harry Lonsdale and Kathlyn Williams. It’s opening seating capacity was 1,542.

The header Function should be changed to; Church

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 22, 2004 at 8:16 pm

Maddy TN:
Are you sure that wasn’t the Loew’s Kings? I was never at a battle of the bands in Brooklyn, but that would be the likely place. It had a stage behind the screen.

maddy52
maddy52 on November 11, 2004 at 3:22 pm

Is this the theater that held the Battles of the Bands in the 60’s or was that the Albemarle? Seems like I remember it was in an area above the theater itself, which would fit the Albemarle’s description and there was an entrance and exit on a side street. Can’t remember exactly anymore.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on October 22, 2004 at 8:54 pm

I had an aunt that worked at the Brooklyn Rialto. Her and my Grandmother liked westerns. Midnight Cowboy once played there. They went to see the movie not knowing, well, that it certainly wasn’t a western.

The last time I was to the Rialto we lived on Long Island and drove into Brooklyn for some reason that I forget. We saw the Sting, and my aunt was still working there.

brucelee
brucelee on August 30, 2004 at 12:20 pm

I saw Jaws and Let’s Do it Again here. Wow!!! Days gone by!!! That was the end of Brooklyn’s finest moments.