Commack Multiplex Cinemas

100 Long Island Expressway,
Commack, NY 11725

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

RonMotta
RonMotta on September 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Fare thee well, Commack Multiplex. A lot of fond memories here from years past. Unfortunately, for the past ten years, it mainly smelled like pee.

robboehm
robboehm on September 26, 2011 at 1:47 am

Where more than two auditoriums exist I won’t be there

moviegoer
moviegoer on September 26, 2011 at 1:27 am

Commack Multiplex, 10/28/83 – 9/25/11

Good riddance. The blood of many, more charming theaters is on your hands.

robboehm
robboehm on September 17, 2011 at 1:08 am

The Brookhaven Multiplex had blue lights. I don’t recall Commack being green. Neither are the norm. The only other theatre I remember with blue was the Salisbury.

CaptRonLI
CaptRonLI on September 16, 2011 at 9:19 pm

The theater is still in operation – barely. My wife and I came here a few weeks ago to see “Captain America” and it really looked like it was on its last legs. It was a Friday and both of us – who grew up in the area – were reminiscing about how it was wall-to-wall kids on weekends. Now, there were maybe a handful of people. Just pull the plug.

robboehm
robboehm on September 13, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I’m surprised the closing didn’t come sooner. First the new multiplex opened at Tanger Arches and then there was announcement that the lease wasn’t being renewed, that was nearly a year ago.

Bway
Bway on September 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I have passed that theater for many years on the LIE, and am almost positive it always said Commack Cinemas instead of Multiplex Cinemas like the Brookhaven Multiplex Cinemas did in Medford. Here’s a photo I took a year or two after the Brookhaven Multiplex closed:

moviegoer
moviegoer on September 13, 2011 at 6:27 am

Well you could be right, but I don’t think so. I feel more confident about the fact that the name (whether it was Commack Cinemas or Commack Multiplex) was in green rather than blue, but I really do think it said multiplex. In any case, in searching for a pic to determine for certain one way or the other, I stumbled upon this FB group which indicates that the theater is closing on Sept. 25.

robboehm
robboehm on September 13, 2011 at 4:56 am

Same in Farmingdale. Signage just says Multiplex Cinemas.

Bway
Bway on September 13, 2011 at 2:03 am

I think it always said Commack Cinemas like it does there. The Brookhaven Multiplex Cinemas in Medford used to say just “Multiplex Cinemas”, but it’s real name was the Brookhaven Multiplex Cinemas.

moviegoer
moviegoer on September 13, 2011 at 1:49 am

The very first post on this page noted that the correct name for this theater is Commack Multiplex Cinemas. I don’t think that’s true anymore but does anyone know when the word multiplex was dropped? I just uploaded a photo I took today and I’m sure that the front of the theater used to say Commack Multiplex rather than Commack Cinemas (and I’m pretty sure the lettering was green, not blue).

Does anyone know when they made the change? I have not been there once since the Regal opened in Ronkonkoma with stadium seating so I hadn’t noticed.

robboehm
robboehm on May 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm

It also killed the RKO Twin and the Mayfair.

NYer
NYer on May 28, 2010 at 4:29 am

Also fitting that when this theater opened, it killed The Deer Park Theater and now Regal Deer Park Stadium 16 & IMAX killed this.

Bway
Bway on May 28, 2010 at 3:49 am

Wow, that is shocking. It’s come a long way since when the banners were up saying “Coming soon: Cinema de Lux”, when they were supposed to build a new theater in front of the old in the parking lot.
Ironic it’s going to “Lowe’s”, even if it’s the wrong spelling for the movie chain, haha.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Article in today’s Newsday: The site was sold to Lowe’s hardware and the theaters will close and be torn down in a year or so; no replacement is planned by National Amusements, which is using the proceeds to reduce some of their debt.

Bway
Bway on April 20, 2009 at 3:13 pm

The banner is off the building, so it seems they are doing the status quo for now.

robboehm
robboehm on February 26, 2009 at 6:09 pm

As of 2/24 when I made my comment I hadn’t seen it. But sometimes the postings are listed in the wrong city and hard to track down,which I’ll do in time.

fred1
fred1 on February 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm

With all the debt with Summer Redstone and Viacom all plans on Cinema DeLux is put on hold

Bway
Bway on February 26, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I have seen some of these multiplexes converted into stadium seating within the old auditoriums. It would probably be a lot cheaper than trying to build a new theater building.
Did anyone add the new theater at the Tanger Outlet to the site here yet?

robboehm
robboehm on February 25, 2009 at 3:57 am

Well, the sign that a new cinema deluxe will be coming, after having been displayed for almost a year, is gone. I believe the reason is the new stadium theatre which just opened at the new Tanger Outlet which is only a stones throw away. I think they are going to bide their time. If they tear it down before opening a new complex they might just as well forget about it. All their patrons will have gone elsewhere. They seemed to have a pretty good crowd the other night when I went past.

BobT
BobT on November 24, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I’m certain that that this theater will have the same fate The Commack Twin, The Mayfair, Deer Park, North Babylon & Brentwood faced when they opened, now that the Regal Deer Park Stadium 16 & IMAX has opened down the road in Deer Park.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on November 24, 2008 at 5:36 am

antben, that black guy you refer to as was the late, great Gregory Hines. The actor/tap dancing extraordinare also appeared in White Nights, The Cotton Club and Tap (written and directed by the original Michael Myers, Nick Castle), among others.

tiko223
tiko223 on October 24, 2008 at 7:59 pm

With the economic climate the way it is, it has become doubtful that they will remodel this theater into an Island 16 clone.

antben14
antben14 on September 19, 2008 at 9:37 pm

I recall seeing “Deal of the Century' with Chevy Chase, Sigourney Weaver and that black guy during the first few weeks after the theater opened. I remember they gave out the movie times on xeroxed sheets of paper which were written on a typewriter.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on July 27, 2008 at 2:56 am

I found the premiere engagements.

They were The Wicked Lady (Faye Dunaway B-movie from Cannon Films), a double feature of Trading Places and 48 Hrs., Educating Rita, Going Berserk (forgotten John Candy film), Never Say Never Again, Richard Pryor: Here and Now, Possession (a horror film with Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill, recommended), Risky Business, Under Fire and The Dead Zone.