Lincoln Plaza Cinemas

1886 Broadway at 63rd Street,
New York, NY 10023

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 7:51 am

saw ‘New York, New York’, ‘The Little Thief’, ‘March Of The Penguins'
and 'Before Night Falls’ here

hardbop
hardbop on April 7, 2005 at 12:11 am

I go here all the time, most recently Monday to see the dreadful “Melinda & Melinda.” I didn’t know these were shopping arcades originally.

If I remember it correctly, up to the late/early 1990s the Lincoln Plaza was a triplex and I don’t know if it was by accident or design but Talbot doubled the space to six screens about the time that the double-screen Cinema Studio (sic) a couple of blocks north on Broadway closed when they knocked the building down to build apartment tower that also houses the Barnes & Noble bookstore. I can’t remember exactly when Cinema Studio closed, but I know I caught “Sex, Lies & Videotape” there back in 1989 I believe was when it was released.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on March 1, 2005 at 11:03 am

The Lincoln Plaza Cinema was originally built as either a single or 2 screen theatre in a lower-level shopping arcade. As with most below-grade shopping arcades in NYC, it was unsuccessful (exceptions being Rockefeller Center and the late WTC). As the few stores went out of business, the theatre expanded, adding additional screens. If I’m not mistaken I believe the theatre now occupies the entire shopping area.

JMags
JMags on March 1, 2005 at 10:40 am

March 18 exclusive theater of Woodman’s new film “Melinda and Melinda”.

Movieguy718
Movieguy718 on January 19, 2005 at 1:39 am

I don’t understand why anyone would pay $10 to see ANY movie here. The biggest screen is MAYBE 15' wide. They apparently think that if the movie is subtitled, it is perfectly fine to show with almost NO volume. And if the movie is in English, you can sit on top of the screen and STILL not be able to hear all the dialog. If something i really want to see is showing here (or the Angelika or Film Forum) I’d rather not see it at all. The last thing I saw here was Lone Star (John Sayles) and it was inaudible. When I found a manager, he told me (this is hysterically funny) “It’s like a play, you’re not supposed to hear all the words.” Needless to say, I’d never go back.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on August 9, 2004 at 1:31 pm

And I believe the Talbot-founded distributorship New Yorker Films is nearby on West 61st Street.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 9, 2004 at 12:34 pm

This was Daniel Talbot’s return to theatre ownership and management after he sold his legendary New Yorker to Walter Reade. I believe that he’s still involved with it.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on August 9, 2004 at 7:25 am

Yes, I too was surprised this wasn’t listed, and so I listed it. It is one of New York’s most ESSENTIAL cinemas for informed and caring film-goers…along with Film Forum and the Walter Reade Theatre, and a few others. I too have seen many great programs here, and I am not from New York, but I have been to the place many times indeed in the last quarter-century. How about Gianni Amelio’s “Stolen Children,” and “Lamerica” for starters? The revivals of Satyajit Ray’s masterpieces in pristine new prints were highlights. Seeing “Pather Panchali” again here in that series was an overwhelming experience.

Many worthwhile films play here besides those that have great popular appeal even among foreign and independent film buffs. The shattering Iranian “A Time for Drunken Horses” is one such movie. In the late 1980s the Taviani Brothers' “Kaos” opened on two screens but didn’t draw the audiences to support that decision. Yet it remains a masterpiece of the modern Italian cinema.

In the initial weeks of Michael Moore’s acclaimed “Fahrenheit 9/11” it was almost impossible to get near the theatre, depite the fact that the movie was playing on at least three of the screens.

Most of the foreign films that open here play for the first time in the United States, are reviewed, and go on to other cities. Its performance at the Lincoln Plaza often determines a film’s success elsewhere.

A “cinema treasure” means to me not just an architectural wonder, glorious surroundings, or a huge screen. Sure, we all respond to those things and it anguishes us to see them perish, often through wanton destruction. But let it be known that a “cinema treasure” can be a small plain place like this that “merely” shows fantastic movies. There is nothing mere about the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas.

SethLewis
SethLewis on August 8, 2004 at 4:17 pm

Surprised that this wasn’t listed yet…A great place to see a film on one’s own or with a date…always something to talk about and worth seeing…Had the pleasure of seeing things as different as La Nuit de Varennes, Milou en Mai, My Left Foot, Salaam Bombay here