RKO Keith's Theatre

135-35 Northern Boulevard,
Flushing, NY 11354

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,281 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 20, 2017 at 10:52 pm

I wonder what the crime rate is. The area looks well built up and could use a movie theatre I would imagine. It would need more than three auditoriums today. Perhaps 8 or 10 if the basement is used and they could restore the lobby. I think that would be the best use for the building. Crime rate is up around the Uptown Theater in Chicago. Both in front and behind the building. Shootings and stabbings etc. That project seems to be stuck in limbo for now.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on March 8, 2017 at 10:29 am

My recollection too, though that seems like it was several owners ago. It was a silly plan to “preserve” a portion of the lobby behind glass, while destroying all the remaining artifacts of the remainder of the entryway, lobby and auditorium.

Scott
Scott on March 8, 2017 at 10:20 am

There wasn’t any plan that included the return of the Keith’s to some sort of theater use, correct? The best case was that the lobby would be retained in the new development. At least that’s my recollection.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 7, 2017 at 4:38 pm

I flew to NY last week and saw the RKO out of the window as I so often do. Bright sunny day and she looked so sad just standing there year after year..

robboehm
robboehm on March 5, 2017 at 11:36 am

My point exactly. The plan is so old it’s probably been forgotten and they’ll do whatever they want.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on March 4, 2017 at 7:08 pm

I’m not going to try scrolling back through the comments, but I’m pretty sure we’ve been through “proceeding according to plan” and “starting imminently” on here alone for at least a dozen years…

robboehm
robboehm on March 4, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Whatever the plan may be.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on March 4, 2017 at 8:59 am

The re-development of the RKO Keith’s site is proceeding “according to plan” and will start in the first six months of this year (which would mean by July at the latest), according to a report by the Queens Tribune: http://queenstribune.com/rko-keiths-development-according-plan/

robboehm
robboehm on August 13, 2016 at 7:51 am

The building was recently sold. Let’s see what happens next.

markp
markp on February 26, 2016 at 6:21 am

We shouldn’t lose hope in the Keiths. As bad a shape as shes in, the RKO Proctors in Newark NJ has been sitting abandoned since the mid 60’s. Still standing. Still waiting.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on February 26, 2016 at 6:02 am

After three years of ownership, JK Equities has put the property back up for sale, according to this report: http://www.qchron.com/editions/queenswide/rko-keith-s-hits-the-market-again/article_bb201ff6-d2be-5c69-af07-ef7d7ef34c6d.html

Willburg145
Willburg145 on February 19, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Perhaps its time to let the Keith go.

nonsportsnut
nonsportsnut on December 4, 2015 at 7:01 pm

The Three Stooges Fan Club is trying to verify a personal appearance of Howard, Fine & Howard (predecessors to the Three Stooges (Larry, Moe & Shemp) at the R.K.O. Keith’s, possibly on the 3rd week in May 1931 or the 1st week in June 1931, or any other appearance dates. My direct email is: . Thanks, Frank Reighter

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 6, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for site. Very very sad to view…This theater keeps hanging on & on. Its almost like trying to survive!

Metropolite
Metropolite on November 6, 2015 at 2:51 pm

A last took at Keith’s from Queens Brownstoner.

bazookadave
bazookadave on June 4, 2015 at 9:47 am

Thanks, StevenJ! I’ll give it a try next photo post.

stevenj
stevenj on June 4, 2015 at 8:29 am

bazookadave…

First copy the link. Then in the comment box here Title the link in brackets [title of link], paste link in parenthesis(paste here). Note there is no space between ](. When you click Add Comment it should turn into a live link.

bazookadave
bazookadave on June 3, 2015 at 11:48 am

Any advice on how to post live links is appreciated. I just don’t know why it no longer happens, no matter which link I copy from photobucket.

bazookadave
bazookadave on June 3, 2015 at 11:43 am

Sorry I have no idea how to do live links here. They used to just appear live, no matter how I posted them, then a few years back they started posting only as text that had to be cut and pasted. Try:

[URL=http://s21.photobucket.com/user/davebazooka/media/RKOgrandFoyer2014_zpsijl4oh4f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/davebazooka/RKOgrandFoyer2014_zpsijl4oh4f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s21.photobucket.com/user/davebazooka/media/RKOticketlobby_zpsp5dyjowo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/davebazooka/RKOticketlobby_zpsp5dyjowo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 3, 2015 at 10:37 am

Neither link works.

bazookadave
bazookadave on June 3, 2015 at 10:04 am

I found these two photos of the RKO foyer and lobby online, they seem to be from slightly different angles than others I’ve seen. Part of the sky dome above the foyer appears to have collapsed:

Perryh11364
Perryh11364 on May 21, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Sad my first movie in there was James Bond for your eyes only roger Moore. N be for it closed goast busters

robboehm
robboehm on April 25, 2015 at 7:07 am

Uploaded day and nighttime photos of the period when a triplex. Didn’t realize the boxy marquee was over the shell of the original humpback/turtle.

bazookadave
bazookadave on April 24, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Good lord I can’t believe I have not visited this site in over three years. Glad to see the comments and debates are still going on, and also glad to see Ed Solero and others still here! I have been exiled to red state hell and it sucks the big watoozi. I am going to check back here more regularly to still get the feeling I am living in my NYC hometown. Dang…I never got into the Keith’s to photograph! My loss.