Showing 26 - 50 of 35,591 comments
This pdf file gives an opening date of November 10, 1939 for the Majestic Theatre and 1984 as the closing year.
The year given for this photo of the Park Theatre is 1971.
Garrick Theatre interior-1940. Photo courtesy of the University of Minnesota, Duluth.
I believe that Joe is correct about the address being 203 West Main Street. The information given in this pdf file states that a new building was built in 2002 on the site of the former Princess Theatre. That building is currently occupied by the Java Garden Cafe which has an address of 203 West Main Street.
Garrick Theatre-1940. Photo courtesy of the University of Minnesota, Duluth.
Garrick Theatre-1950. Photo courtesy of the University of Minnesota, Duluth.
Published on April 25, 1914.
Photo courtesy of the Skaneateles Historical Society.
The Irving Theatre is mentioned in the NY Daily Star on Monday, April 13, 1914.
Another Rldgewood Theatre.
Ridgewood saw the opening of another theatre within its confines on Saturday. The Irving Theatre, on Myrtle avenue near Grove street, was thrown open to the public that afternoon. The theatre will be devoted to moving pictures of a classic kind.
The theatre has been built by the Ridgewood Amusement Company and is under the management of William Bigall. The front of the theatre is of sandstone and a brown burned brick. It is two stories high.
The interior is elaborately decorated and furnished. The latest safety arrangements have been installed, to ease the concern of fire and other dangers. The heating and ventilating devices are of the latest design.
The Rex Theatre in Altus, Oklahoma is listed in the 1935 Film Daily Yearbook with 350 seats.
This article also states that the Post Office, which was built in 1962, is located on the site of the former State Theatre.
“The Mount Carmel Item reported on Aug. 13, 1962, that the current location occupies a historic site.
Located on it in the early days of the town was a saw mill, which in time gave way to the old GAR Opera House and later to the State Theater, the newspaper reported.
Inside the display case at the post office lies a blurry photograph of the theater, two 5-cent children’s tickets and one 12-cent matinee ticket".
Alhambra Theatre-1913. Photo courtesy of the University of Minnesota, Duluth.
In August of 2011, the former Hueytown Theater had a close encounter with a utility truck. The outcome wasn’t good for either of them. Photo and a brief article are here.
The building still appears on a Google map photo because the Google map photo is dated 2008.
The Lyric Theatre is listed in a 1923 Wooster street directory at 211 East Liberty Street, so this theatre dates back to at least 1923.
The Majestic Theatre is listed in the 1928 Film Daily Yearbook with 1,400 seats. The President Theatre is listed in the 1929 edition, but no seating is given. In 1930, neither theatre name is listed.
The Sequoyah Theatre dates back to at least 1914. It is listed in a 1914 Tahlequah directory. It is one of two theatres listed that year. The other theatre was the Masonic Theatre.
The Sequoyah Theatre is mentioned in the Cherokee County Democrat on May 21, 1914.
J. P. Thompson yesterday placed an order for a $340 “Powers 6” motion picture machine, the best machine made, to be used in his new Sequoyah Theatre.
Published in the New York Times on May 29, 1917.
Photo of the Denali Theatre after the March 1964 earthquake. Courtesy of the Anchorage Museum of History & Art.
Published on March 11, 1931.
The Avery Theatre opened on March 18, 1931. The opening movie was “Sit Tight” starring Joe E. Brown.
The Jomac Theater is listed in the 1956 Film Daily Yearbook with 470 seats.
Harmony Theatre circa 1917. Photo courtesy of the Anchorage Museum of History & Art.
The Novelty was under construction in July of 1911.
Suffolk County News July 14, 1911.
William Vorpahl has begun the work of digging the cellar for the new Novelty Theatre building which Henry Kost is to erect on Railroad Ave. adjoining the land of Joseph West and John DeGraff. Rhodes & Udall have the contract to build the theatre and John Winters is to do the mason work.
Suffolk County News July 21, 1911.
Contractor John Van Yeseldyke now has the frame up for the new Novelty moving picture theatre, which is being erected by Kost & Webber on the easterly side of Railroad Ave. The new amusement hall will be quite a large structure, 35x70 feet, a frame building with a shingle roof. The interior will be lined with a metal ceiling and will make an attractive little theatre. The building is to be steam heated, and will be hurried to completion.
Suffolk County News Friday, September 1, 1911.
Henry Kost opened his fine new moving picture theatre, the new Novelty, on Railroad Ave. last Saturday night and gave an excellent performance to a packed house.
If you do the math, the Novelty Theatre opened on Saturday, August 26, 1911.
The Olympic Theater is listed in the 1926 Film Daily Yearbook at 10 Broadway with 1,300 seats.
The Edisto Theater opened in 1937. The building has been demolished. Additional information can be found here.