Academy of Music

126 E. 14th Street,
New York, NY 10003

markp
markp on September 14, 2008 at 7:30 am

Hi Luis, if all the beautiful theatres that were lost to demolishon in the city would have been landmarked, they would still be here. Thats the greatest sin of all, is that the Roxy and Capitol, and even the Rivoli are gone. Nobody cared back then.

LuisV
LuisV on September 14, 2008 at 5:00 am

Could the replacement be any uglier?

Thanks Warren for the photo. I had forgotten about the huge fresco above the marquee. Very few theaters had that. I can’t believe that theater was never landmarked! I thought it was very beautiful and I miss it very much.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 14, 2008 at 4:44 am

This comparison photo of the Palladium and its replacement building appears in the current issue of New York Magazine:

mp775
mp775 on August 18, 2008 at 9:38 am

The concerts on Wolfgang’s Vault are all soundboard recordings from the collection of Bill Graham.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 22, 2008 at 6:25 am

Automatic Vaudeville is represented here in the listing for Crystal Hall: /theaters/17576/

jflundy
jflundy on June 22, 2008 at 6:17 am

The AOM was located near Union Square in Manhattan. A subject related to the movie business on Union Square, with a large photograph taken in 1917 of a WW1 recruiting center in the form of a mock “Battleship”, shows the “Automatic Vaudeville” Nickelodeon. Caption quote is “Sailors doing their laundry on the Navy’s pretend battleship moored at Union Square, used for recruiting during World War I. In back is the Automatic Vaudeville penny arcade, two of whose backers — Marcus Loew and Adolph Zukor — went on to found Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Paramount Pictures after a few years in the nickelodeon ”

Photo link: http://www.shorpy.com/node/3656?size=_original

somoman
somoman on June 19, 2008 at 4:13 am

Is everyone aware that Wolfgang (of Wolfgang’s Vault) in none other than Wolfgang Grajonca, aka Bill Graham?

Bill Graham was a licensing junkie. Not only did hel ive by the rules of licensing, he helped create them. Posthumously, the various Bill Graham organizations have ALWAYS been heavy handed with people using BG images without paying a licensing fee. In fact his organizations were SO HEAVY HANDED, that for a period of time, legal action was taken against Ebay sellers who were showing his posters in order to sell them.

Legal logic prevailed, and eventually the laws were rewritten so that a collector could sell his own property without being guilty of copyright infringement.

So the notion that Wolfgang’s Vault would own and sell pirated performances couldnt be farther from the truth. You can bet your last dollar that these Academy / Palladium tapes were both recorded legally, and legally acquired by Wolfgangs vault.

A good rule of thumb is this. If the quality of concert recording was excellent, than you can be sure that a multitrack mixing board was tapped into in order to gain capture that recording. And as a rule, it was the band’s audio engineers that controlled the tap. Audience tapes are generally muddy and there is no true stereo. In this case, the audio tapes from Wolfganags Vault are excellent quality, suggesting that they were all recorded with the permission (and assistance) of the band’s crack audio team.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 19, 2008 at 3:13 am

“Wolfgang’s Vault” seems to have a listing of “pirate” recordings made at the Palladium.
I don’t think that every show presented at the Palladium is listed there. Just the ones that have recordings for sale.

iatse311
iatse311 on June 18, 2008 at 11:42 am

View link all of the palladium shows on wolfgangs vault…

edblank
edblank on May 27, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I once bought a ticket to a Grade Z movie here in the early 1970s just because I was so curious to see the interior. Its glory days were gone, but I sat in there for a couple of years soaking up the atmosphere and never regretted the investment of time and a couple of bucks. We had moviehouses then.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 21, 2008 at 8:10 am

Here are new direct links to views of the original auditorium:

LuisV
LuisV on February 24, 2008 at 11:47 am

Yeah, Palladium is just a cooler name. Alas, none of the college students at NYU would remember Palladium’s days as New York’s premier disco in the late 80’s/early 90’s, let alone its prior days as a concert venue. You would probably get a blank stare if you mention The Academy of Music.

somoman
somoman on February 24, 2008 at 11:43 am

thanks iatse311

keep em coming.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 24, 2008 at 11:30 am

The NYU dormitory that replaced the theatre is called Palladium. I would have selected Academy, in honor of this Academy of Music and the orginal AOM, which was just across the street. But I guess Palladium means more to college students who might be old enough to remember the Palladium, but not the previous enterprises.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 24, 2008 at 5:48 am

The Academy of Music opened in 1926, not 1927. I don’t know the exact date, but it was advertised in The New York Times on October 21, 1926, with “Marriage License” on screen and a stage show featuring Leo Carrillo, Nonette, Art Landry & His Band, and the 60-piece Academy Symphony Orchestra. This could have been the premiere presentation. The AOM was built smultaneously with Fox’s Savoy in Brooklyn, which opened in September. When the Savoy opened, press reports said that the AOM would debut the following month, but no specific date was given.

iatse311
iatse311 on February 23, 2008 at 7:45 pm

that is al dimeola 5-5-78 courtesy of wolfgang’s vault great show…

jackeboy
jackeboy on February 16, 2008 at 3:34 pm

I worked at the Palladium as an usher in the balcony from around 1978 until Delsener closed the place down.As far as the Silkwood show I remember James Taylor was also on the bill. When he sang Mockingbird he bought out the then Mrs Taylor(Carly Simon) to sing with him. Sorry but I’m a little fuzzy on the date. I worked so many shows there, and while I remember the music the dates all run togeher.

somoman
somoman on February 16, 2008 at 8:35 am

Right around the time of the “No Nukes” concert at MSG (September 1979) the Palladium hosted a benefit concert for “Karen Silkwood Defense Fund”. Two guests that appeared were Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt, and both of them were also sponsors of the No Nukes concert. There is one item on a Bonnie Raiit site that confirms the Silkwood show, but that listing indicates to have happened on 5/9/78, and also claims another show for Silkwood at Avery Fisher Hall on 5/1/78. Since No Nukes went down in 1979, it would seem that the Silkwood concert would have happened within a day or two of the No Nukes show, and surely in 1979. Does anyone know anything about this show? Can anyone support either Silkwood show with a date.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 15, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Thanks, Stephen. I’m glad to learn that my memory may not be quite as rusty as I first thought! Well… at least not in this instance!

somoman
somoman on February 14, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Ed, I did in fact research The Band and how their appearance at the Palladium aligned with the Thanksgiving 1976 final performance “The Last Waltz”. You are right indeed. The correct date of their performance at the Palladium appears to be 9/18/76. I have not yet been able to confirm additional dates at the Palladium on that particular run in NY. But your thinking was correct.

Input always welcome.

Stephen

house
house on February 14, 2008 at 4:50 am

i remember the nektar show….i saw an empty seat in the front row, so i grabbed it….lotsa dry ice/fog….cool show…..there is good palladium footage on the bootleg zappa holloween mtv broadcast…interior/exterior marquee with jerry garcia on the upcomming shows….

elcomicguy1953
elcomicguy1953 on February 13, 2008 at 11:28 am

Thanks somoman for putting a date to my Nekktar concert. I still have the recording of the show from the radio simulcast, including the power outage during the first song!

somoman
somoman on February 11, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Hey Ed

No, the asterisks were nothing more than reminders to myself that I had to return to those listings for one reason or another. I have a slightly more thorough and accurate list that I failed to post, and I will post it within the week.

As for the Band, it didn’t occur to me during the making of the list that this was the Band’s final tour (which of course it was). So I never questioned the dates. The dates are far earlier than the Thanksiving show at Winterland, but then again, a year long tour for the Band was hardly beyond their scope of capability. Looks like a little research is in order. As for the Band playing at the Palladium, I saw the 1971 New Year’s eve show with Bob Dylan. That was fun.

By the way, I picked up Last Waltz about a year ago on Ebay. It was as good as the first time I saw it, and it gave me chills all over again. The back story of how the last show became an event is briliantly told by Scorcese as part of the DVD extras. As an aside I’ve got to say that Van Morrison, who could be aweful (moody) on any given night, gave the performance of a lifetime.