Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,501 comments

DavidDymond
DavidDymond on June 10, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I thought her name was DOROTHY SOLOMON!! Dorothy Panzica must be her married name right?? I remember seeing her in a movie filmed years ago about LOEW’S KINGS!!

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on June 10, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I hope some photos are released during the restoration. My aunt, Dorothy Panzica, was the last manager of the theater. She is 99 now and I’d love for her to see some good news. More than anything, I’d like her to see the finished result.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 8, 2013 at 4:41 pm

The good news is that it is slated to reopen as a performance venue next year, it’s been a long time since I’ve been on this site

DJM78
DJM78 on May 27, 2013 at 2:44 am

The Kings is about a 7 block walk from the Beverly Road Q train station. Give or take a block. I also believe that the B41 Bus will get you there. There are Mass Transit options.

stspezi
stspezi on May 24, 2013 at 10:36 pm

In 1970 my high school graduation was held at the Loew’s King’s theater. I have vivid memories of that graduation. I played in the orchestra on the front part of the stage that could lower into a pit. The organ console also went up and down and the organ sounded wonderful.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 12, 2013 at 5:49 am

A theater without its house organ is like an organ without pipes…….

atmos
atmos on May 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

The restoration of the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans is costing $52 Million.The area will benefit greatly with the theatre open.

Keith
Keith on May 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Taken from loews kings facebook “I stopped by the other day and was able to see scaffolding in both the lobby and the auditorium. All the seating was gone thanks to mildew but the standards have been saved for re-use.”

spectrum
spectrum on March 28, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Here’s a nice comprehensive overview of the Loew’s Kings renovation at the New York City Economic Development Corporation’s website:

The site also includes documents from the Environmental Quality Review, details on scope of project, and a blog with regular updates.

Official Groundbreaking took place on March 19, 2013.

A FlickR photoset of the bgroundbreaking at the Major’s office photstream may be accessed at:

“Following preliminary work untaken by ACE Theatrical over the last three years, New York City has executed a 55-year lease with the Kings Theatre Redevelopment Corporation – a consortium of ACE Theatrical, Goldman Sachs and the National Development Council – to begin the full redevelopment and rehabilitation of the theatre”

LuisV
LuisV on March 13, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I’ve been to the Kings via the subway. It’s about 5 blocks away. I can’t wait to see the results and I will travel…….by subway!

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 12, 2013 at 3:50 am

Mass transit is alive & well both in New York and Chicago. But we need the movie palaces to be open & running for us to get to don’t we?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 12, 2013 at 3:35 am

Now if there was only some way to get there by mass transit we’d have it made.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 12, 2013 at 3:24 am

Couldn’t agree more…The Uptown in Chicago is also one of these masterpieces and should be saved and restored by the city of chicago and for the nation.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on March 12, 2013 at 12:19 am

To save any movie palace and find new use for it as a theatrical force in its community is great. Of course! BUT, the Kings is also architecturally one of the maybe 10 very finest of all of the 1000s of movie palaces ever built. This makes it a huge triumph of historic preservation and restoration. A masterpiece saved. Bravo New York and Brooklyn! This is a treasure not just for Brooklyn but for the nation.

Brooklynboy43
Brooklynboy43 on February 13, 2013 at 5:51 am

To restore a landmark such as this is wonderful. It is representative of a past era and should be restored, used and maintained. This was my neighborhood theater, and I remember it well. Although taken for granted at the time,its beauty was unsurpassed. Hooray for the renovation. Cannot wait until it opens!

LuisV
LuisV on February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Everything in New York costs more. It just does. Always has, but it hasn’t stopped the city from building and building big. It is why it still retains (along with Los Angles) the greatest collection of movie palaces in the country (perhaps the world). Brooklyn (as well as New York) is booming and is the home of 2.6MM people whose only performing arts centers are The Opera House and The Harvey Theater (both at the Brooklyn Academy of Music) and the Brooklyn College Performing Arts Center. There is room for more and the Kings will succeed. I’m from Manhattan and I will be going for sure.

dfc
dfc on January 31, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hate to complain but $93 Million? A new high-tech Boeing 737 goes for $89 Million. Exorbitant amount and I still have my doubts about the financial viability of the restored Kings. Something’s not right here.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Here is a diret link to the gorgeous but heartbreaking photos in the Gothamist.

LuisV
LuisV on January 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Here is a photo gallery of the Loew’s Kings that appeared in today’s Gothamist!

BobbyS
BobbyS on January 23, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I couldn’t agree more !!! I am more hopeful for the return of the beautiful Uptown in Chicago, another Rapp & Rapp treasure.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on January 23, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Let us just bask in the good news that occurred today and not, for once, be cynical. Hip, hip horay for the Kings and for the people of Brooklyn!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Who’s putting up the 94 million bucks? If most of it is coming from the NYC government, Bloomberg’s head should roll: nydailynews

LuisV
LuisV on January 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

For all of the perennial naysayers, YES, it is happening and it is bigger than ever before! The official groundbreaking to this morning! The renovation is now a $94MM project which will open in 2015! http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/loew-article-1.1245330?localLinksEnabled=false

AdamBomb1701
AdamBomb1701 on January 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm

The Daily News reported today that the renovation to turn the theater into a performance venue has begun.

kong1911
kong1911 on January 7, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Not such a big deal but the organ for the Kings is a Robert Morton.