Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,451 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 13, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for report on the neon. Did the original marquee have neon do you know? Chasing bulbs(not led)look so much better and so movie palace like.

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 13, 2015 at 8:18 am

Thanks Orlando! I hope they fix the neon. BTW she also worked as an usher at one of the Broadway houses, she always refers to that part of her life in her interviews about seeing shows on broadway.

Orlando
Orlando on February 13, 2015 at 7:40 am

By the way, Barbra Streisand N E V E R worked at the Loew’s Kings, she worked at a little Chinese restaurant on Nostrand Avenue. Read one of her biographies and “That’s the Truth” (Lily Tomlin’s character Edith Ann)!

Orlando
Orlando on February 13, 2015 at 7:34 am

The neon is on as of yesterday, but some of it is out.

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 12, 2015 at 9:48 am

Auditorium #2 in the Sony/Loews Theatres Lincoln Square complex on New York’s Upper West Side is named in honor of this former Loew’s Motion Picture Palace.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 9, 2015 at 10:06 am

I’d heard both sides of the story about Barbra Streisand working at the Kings as an usherette – Streisand herself has denied it – so I asked an employee. Before he could answer, two older women who were standing nearby yelled out, “YES! YES! SHE DID! 1959!” Then the employee agreed with them that she indeed did work there. I believe them!

markp
markp on February 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm

With all the wonderful photos of the newly opened Kings, can we get a photo on the page showing that, instead of the plastic covered chairs? I think the Kings deserves it.

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on February 8, 2015 at 9:20 am

I was there at the open house yesterday. Went to this tremendous theater many times during the 1960s and early ‘70s, forgot how stunningly beautiful this theater was. The 94 million dollar uplift did an incredible job. This theater was beautiful during its original run, now its simply magnificent. I had passed this theater boarded up on my bus ride to Manhattan daily for many years and I always hoped it would be reopened. Well now it is and I hope it will be opened for many years to come. The large group of people there seemed to be having a fantastic time and cameras were clicking. NBC News was doing a story on it and I was lucky enough to be interviewed. Supposedly it will be shown on the NBC Weekend News sometime in Feb. or March, I hope I don’t wind up on the cutting room floor. My wife and I bought tickets to see Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons again here in March, so I will be back next month. Although the Kings will be doing live concerts, wouldn’t it be nice if they could bring back some of the large scale epics of the '50s and '60s and show them in that movie palace again? What I wouldn’t give to see “How the West Was Won” there? Hopefully, the management of this magnificent theater will consider it.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on February 8, 2015 at 7:35 am

Thanks for posting the pics, Bill. I was hoping to get out there, but will have to hope they do another open house some time soon.

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 8, 2015 at 6:01 am

Words almost cannot express how amazing it was to be here yesterday, the photo’s do not do this place proper justice. Met a lot of wonderful folks along the way as well. Thank You ACE Theatrical for allowing us to go on an incredible tour of the most majestic wonder theatre in Brooklyn The “Loew’s Kings”!

MarcH
MarcH on February 7, 2015 at 9:53 pm

was at the open house today…i almost started to cry I got so choked up. Good crowd showed up…all very enthusiastic. I wish they could have had pics of the pre-restoration on display, so people could appreciate what a loving, monumental achievement this is.

markp
markp on February 7, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Great Job Bill. Sorry I had to miss it.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 7, 2015 at 2:54 pm

One of the employees I talked to said there’s a possibility that movies will one day be shown here again. Right now, though, there’s no screen installed.

The restoration is indeed an amazing sight. I didn’t want to leave.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 7, 2015 at 2:49 pm

The Kings held a free neighborhood open house today to celebrate the re-opening. I posted some pictures in the photo section, but all the pictures I took can be seen here.

markp
markp on February 7, 2015 at 7:40 am

Well maybe another time. I got called into work for……you guessede it, 12 noon. Maybe I will get here to see a concert in the near future. If someone can post photos, it would be great.

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 6, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I can’t wait to see this place tomorrow, I have waited so long for this moment. Based on all the photo’s that have been posted the Kings looks absolutely stunning. Long live the Loew’s Kings Brooklyn Wonder Theatre!

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Great pictures! I don’t know how the oringal marquee looked when opened, but this one needs more bulbs on top, not just a faded neon! I bet they didn’t even have neon in 1929.

RickB
RickB on February 4, 2015 at 5:16 pm

From CBS News, a 22-picture slideshow, including some from Matt Lambros.

I’m just glad that we can still make things like this happen.

markp
markp on January 28, 2015 at 1:57 pm

@Jeffrey1955, yours are cut off to the right also. Maybe its my screen setting. @Matt Lambros, thanks so much. My wife and I hope to make it.

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 28, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I am so excited about this theaters reopening. I went there many times during the 1960s and ‘70s. Among the many films I saw there were John Wayne in True Grit, Clint Eastwood in Kelly’s Heroes and Kirk Douglas in The Brotherhood. My high school graduation was held in the Loews Kings.
For years my express bus from Brooklyn to Manhattan turned about a block from the Kings. I would see this beautiful theater boarded up and always dreaded it being torn down. I had always hoped that someone would take over and reopen this magnificent theater.
Now I look forward to seeing a concert there and letting the wonderful memories wash over me. Wouldn’t it also be great if they could reshow many of the epic films that played there? That would almost be too much to hope for.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on January 28, 2015 at 7:58 am

Mark – Yes there is a community open house tour at the Kings on Feb 7th. You can find more info about it here: Open House at the Kings

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on January 28, 2015 at 7:56 am

? LuisV’s comment is not cut off on my computer. It says: Here is a great link to some incredible photographs of the fully restored Loew’s Kings Theatre! FREE Tours to the public will be offered on Saturday, February 7th from 12:00 – 4:00 PM! I can’t wait to see it for myself! http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/26/behold_brooklyns_magnificently_restored_kings_theatre.php#more

markp
markp on January 28, 2015 at 7:48 am

LuisV, your comment above is cut off to the right. What is going on Saturday Feb 7th? Is it a tour of the theate?? I would love to go if it is.

HenrySchmidt
HenrySchmidt on January 28, 2015 at 6:17 am

Tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/mktrhc7

Be sure to enlarge each photo! It’s really spectacular.