Loew's Oriental Theatre

1832 86th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11214

Theaterat on December 4, 2007 at 11:53 am

P Koch… you are exactly right.This is a “warehouse” type of store that sells cut rate furniture, clothes, jewelry, toys and electronics.Marshalls-where the former Oriental theater was ain`t much better. -hit stores indeed!

PKoch on December 4, 2007 at 9:13 am

Thanks for the bad news, Theaterat. I can relate to “schlock shop” (my mother used to call them “shit shops”, in contrast to quality stores) because of the RKO Madison Theater in Ridgewood, Queens, having become a Liberty Department Store.

Theaterat on December 4, 2007 at 12:27 am

More bad Bensonhurst news. The Oriental Manor, the catering hall and Brooklyn legend directly across from the former theater has now been closed. Even though the decor is still there,a new cut rate “schlock shop” has opened there as of 2 weeks before this post.

PKoch on August 6, 2007 at 9:38 am

Yes, the inside was beautiful : the arches, tiled floors, balcony railings, domed ceilings, Moorish motifs : beautiful archutecture. I was only in there once, the last Sunday in February 1987, to see “Star Trek IV” (the one with the whales) but I got a good look at the interior. Even divided into three cinemas, the place was so huge, each of those three cinemas was a good size.

Because of the Moorish motif, a friend I was with for the Star Trek movie thought the building had originally been a Muslim mosque. She was unfamiliar with such grandiose and splendid NYC theater architecture.

VinnyBrooklyn on August 6, 2007 at 12:54 am

I’m happy you guys enjoyed the picture. I actually attended Loews one of the last weeks they were open for “A Goofy Movie” when I was about 12 years old for a friends birthday party. One of the things I miss about that place was the decor. I remember the ceilings had beautiful vintage designs, they also had antique chandeliers ect…

Petristeel on August 5, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Vinny Bklyn for the image , I got chills when I saw it.

Petristeel on August 5, 2007 at 5:51 pm

I loved the loews, to me it was so cozy, you know the balconies, marble staircases, water fountains in the marble walls, it was an awesome theater. I saw Star Wars, Grease, The Warriors, and countless other movies there. To me the Loews is still there because its massive frame still exists. The only thing that stunk was the sticky floors, but now I wish I had those sticky floors back.

PKoch on August 3, 2007 at 10:33 am

No, it’s a gvmt. computer system. Super security, Big Bush is watching, might be Al Qaida, etc., yadda yadda.

Hey Vinny Bklyn, I got that image of Loew’s Oriental, printed it, showed it to my dad. He enjoyed it. Thanks again !

Bway on August 2, 2007 at 7:28 pm

Pkoch, your computer won’t let you access photobucket?

VinnyBrooklyn on August 1, 2007 at 3:06 am

Hey PKoch, If you would like me to email the pic to you, get in touch with me at my Email. Its

PKoch on July 31, 2007 at 10:41 am

Thanks for posting the link, VinnyBrooklyn. Unfortunately, it’s blocked at my PC. My headache, not yours.

Thanks, Bloop, for your reminiscence.

VinnyBrooklyn on July 30, 2007 at 7:39 pm

ooops!, heres the link to the pic again:

Bloop on June 24, 2007 at 9:20 pm

My grandparents lived off of 86th street (around the corner from the Benson). My grandfather only took us to the Oriental once in 1972. We saw a peculiar kids adventure movie called “Flight of the Doves”. It was a British movie about orphans finding there real parents, and a menacing uncle with a hawk tattooed on his hand was after them. The theater seemed gigantic to me! I love reading all these posts/stories/folk lore. Really haunting and sad… P.S. the above poster who was there when the seats were being tossed in a dumpster—did you take one??????? I would have!

Bway on December 2, 2006 at 7:04 pm

While parking would be necessary for a store such as Marshalls, the difference between a theater and a store is that while with a store you have lots of people coming through the doors over the course of let’s say a day, you don’t have them all coming at the same time, and all parking at the same time as you would with a theater.

Theaterat on December 2, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Yeah John, remember “The Godfather” at the Oriental very well. Went on a Sunday night in May of 1972 with my friend Mike McG-don`t want to reveal his last name, and his brother Sean.Since they are Irish, I had to tell them what all those Italian expressions ment! The theater was so packed that we had to sit in the first row, center stage.A great night at the movies.

CelluloidHero2 on December 1, 2006 at 6:42 pm

The Oriental was a terrific theater. I grew up six blocks from it and saw many films there. Hercules with Steve Reeves,Visit To A Small Planet, Tarzan The Magnificant, Thief of Bagdad, Wakiest Ship In The Army, Cinderfella, The Cardinal, The Commancheros,Exodus, Guns of Navarone, Von Ryan’s Express,King of Kings, Hey Let’s Twist, Mad Dog Cole, Morgan The Pirate, GI Blues,Blue Hawaii, Of Human Bondage (Kim Novak verison), Amorous Adventures fo Moll Flanders, Five Easy Pieces, In Like Flint, The Train, Stagecoach (1966), Reds and many others. Last fil m I saw there was Leagl Eagelsin 1986.

I remember well when the The Godfather started playing there. The crowds were around the block! The entire neighborhood went. Even my parents who had not been to a movie theater in years.

dave-bronx™ on December 1, 2006 at 10:23 am

The theatre, if booked right and the place was cookin', on a Friday or Saturday night would draw far more customers at any given time than Marshalls can, particularly now that there few theatres left in Brooklyn – hence, the parking issue. There’s a Marshalls over here by me and you could throw a bomb in there and not bother anybody…. Besides, Sony was not interested in the theatres – they were just part of the the baggage they got when they took over Columbia Pictures. Once they discovered they owned them they decided to use them as a petri dish for their experiments with cinema audio equipment and development of SDDS.

Theaterat on December 1, 2006 at 9:43 am

Incredible-isn`t it. Parking was never an issue for the almost 70 years the Oriental was open for. They just gave up on it, gutted it and opened a Marshalls.I quess the future of Bensonhurst will be more stores and many, many more of those so-called “Cookie Cutter” houses that are spreading like wild mushrooms throughout the neighborhood on almost every vacant lot there is. Call it “borough improvement” if you like. I call it a blight-and an eyesore that is even worse than the closed Oriental theater and the surrounding stores that were near it.The nearest theaters that are still open are the UA Sheepshead and the Alpine. The less said about these, the better.

CelluloidHero2 on December 1, 2006 at 8:02 am

Yes Mr Feuer, Marshall’s really enhanced the district. Real upscale.

frankie on November 9, 2006 at 1:13 pm

Thank you, Patrick, for addressing the issue ! You see, boys, we’re not alone ! DOWN, Warren !!! SIT !!! QUIET !!!

PKoch on November 9, 2006 at 12:23 pm

Good points, Theaterat and Bway, and so, so apropos to Election Day !

As we approach Veterans Day, let’s stop running both the “bad movie”, as Bway called it, and end the war within Cinema Treasures.

Bway on November 9, 2006 at 11:33 am

I agree it’s time for this movie engagement to end, its the same movie in so many theaters…. it’s been playing in so many theaters on this site already….pretty impressive even for theater that have been closed to showing movies….
Time to take those letters off the marquee and move on, and get back to what we are all here for (and it’s not this bad “movie”).

Theaterat on November 9, 2006 at 10:57 am

Friends, Romans, countrymen, etc,etc, etc, Lets stop the personal attacks and senseless accusations. This is a website devoted to theaters and infomation on them be it past or present.After all, we did have enough of that during the election campaign with all those cheap and negative ads from the politicos from BOTH parties! Lets not carry that over to Cinema Treasures!

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on November 9, 2006 at 9:17 am

Warren, it’s not your job to worry about whether an image has copyright issues. Leave that to the people who run this website.

As you can see, attacking the contribution of another user is pretty counter-productive. And, personally, I’m pretty tired of dealing with the same argument, over and over, on multiple theater pages.

Your contributions are welcome. But, if you can’t get along with other users on this site, or at least stop baiting people with negative comments, we may be forced to suspend your posting privileges for a while.