Palace Theatre

630 S. Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90014

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on August 16, 2007 at 11:23 pm

The facade was power washed this week and the building looks AMAZING!!!! I saw Frank this morning and he said that the Los Angeles is next!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 3, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Ah, but I took the photo myself. Can you say the same? 8-P

Here is a 1954 photo from the LAPL with the Palace in the background:

William
William on September 26, 2006 at 2:26 pm

During the 30’s the Palace Theatre was operated by Fox West Coast Theatres, as was the Los Angeles and Loew’s State Theatre.

careyupton
careyupton on September 5, 2006 at 7:36 am

I never knew it was called the “Fox” Palace Theatre. And in the 1930s? The marquee read Broadway Palace Theatre when the Orpheum name moved to the new theatre down Broadway in 1928. Later it was called the Palace Newsreel Theatre, based on a mural that remains behind the theatre. But Fox? This will require more exploration.
Thank you for bringing it to light.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 1, 2006 at 4:15 pm

Here is a 1930 view of the Fox Palace, open continuously 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.:

GWaterman
GWaterman on July 23, 2006 at 3:27 pm

I took a Conservancy tour yesterday; we ALMOST got inside the Palace!! When we approached the theatre, we noticed that the roll-up gate was up. Our tour group quickly moved into the outer foyer, which was nice, but I spotted the fact that one of the lobby doors was a little bit ajar!! I actually opened it, and as I did a Security officer was there, smiling. I was ready to let our docent talk our way in, but then a gentleman with a bag over his shoulder came up behind me from the sidewalk —– the security officer let him in (he obviously had an appointment), and when our docent asked if we could tour, he first asked if we had an appointment, and when told No, he turned us away. Then she asked if we could remain in the foyer, and he said No again. We took our own sweet time moving out of the foyer, while our docent described what she knew about the theatre.

She said that the 2nd floor windows that overlook the entry foyer were actually the ladies' room, and that in the day, ladies would peer out to check out who was arriving!

It was a disappointment to get so close but not be allowed to enter. It seems a lot of theatre owners resist the Conservancy’s requests. I wish they would allow more access.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 13, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Carey: The L.A. Public Library’s on-line photo database contains at least these two pictures of the Palace, c1928, with the “Broadway Palace” name on it:

Front View

Side View.

The information about the name “News Palace” (adopted in 1939) is covered in my comment of Dec. 8, 2004, near the top of this page. I’ve never seen the Daily Variety article itself; only the index card displayed in the California Index section of the L.A. Library web site.

careyupton
careyupton on April 13, 2006 at 11:37 am

The theatre began its life as “Orpheum Theatre” in 1911. In 1926, when the new orpheum was built down the street. The name of the theatre changed to either the “News Palace” or the “Broadway Palace.” In the late 1990s, the new owners began to refer to the theatre as the “Downtown Palace Theatre” to distinguish it form the Palace Theatre is Hollywood. Do any of you know (and have written or photographic sources) of any other names used by the theatre. I’ve heard a rumor that it was called the “Orpheum Palace” for a time though I can’t find any verification. I’d appreciate a response, on or offline. Carey Upton, Manager of the Palace Theatre

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 28, 2006 at 2:15 pm

William, are you sure about the Skouras-ization of the Palace in 1947? When I began going to the theatre in the early 1960’s, the auditorium had the same, ornate Renaissance decor seen in old photographs of it (and the style “Renaissance” needs to be added to the theatre’s information at the top of the page, buy the way.) I don’t remember the lobby as clearly, but I certainly don’t recall it having any of the art moderne style for which Skouras was so famous. I do know that the ticket foyer had had its ornate decoration largely covered over by then, but it wasn’t particularly art moderne, either- just sort of bland. If Skouras was responsible for that, it wasn’t one of his better designs.

William
William on March 28, 2006 at 1:53 pm

The Palace Theatre in 1947 got an Skouras-ized interior remodel.

someonewalksinla
someonewalksinla on February 28, 2006 at 11:41 pm

I think you all became a news source.

“The steep decline of downtown’s theaters came in the years after World War II, alongside the rise of the suburbs â€" and the shopping malls that came with them. Movie theaters sprang up elsewhere, and people had few reasons to drive downtown.

Some of downtown’s movie palaces were destroyed in the ensuing years, often to make way for the burgeoning car culture. The Metropolitan Theatre â€" opened by Sid Grauman in 1923 on 6th Street and later called the Paramount Theatre â€" was demolished in 1962, replaced with a parking lot and, later, the International Jewelry Center. The RKO Hill Street Theatre, at 8th and Hill, was razed six years later, also for a parking lot.”

From
Movie Tradition Fading to Black
Seventy years after its neon heyday, downtown Los Angeles is struggling to keep its last cinematic venue afloat.
By Cara Mia DiMassa, Times Staff Writer
February 17, 2006

YMike
YMike on February 26, 2006 at 11:11 am

I just watched an episode of the 1989 TV series “Ailen Nation” and there were scenes filmed in the balcony of a “Palace” theatre in LA. Was that this theatre? It appeared to be a rather large balcony and the movie “My Darling Clementine” was playing on the screen.

William
William on January 26, 2006 at 4:04 am

They changed the neon in the same manner over at the Wiltern Theatre for the Paramount feature “American Hot Wax”. They reneoned the vertical signs and the marquee to read Paramount after the Brooklyn Paramount.

You can find more info on the Palace Theatre and the Los Angeles Theatre at this site.

someonewalksinla
someonewalksinla on January 24, 2006 at 2:45 pm

Returning to the scene of the grime, the Palace Theatre marquee is returned after her guest shot as the Detroit Theatre for “Dreamgirls.”. Neon and light bulbs have been repaired and restored. Solid cosmetic – if not complete restoration – of the front lobby is being completed. Small exposed carvings in the corners of the entrance are peeking over Broadway. According to my onsite source, they will again be hidden as they restore the frame of the doorway. Maybe someday they can be seen in a full restoration of the theatre, but because of being within the wall for years, protected from the elements, they are in good shape.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on January 22, 2006 at 3:39 pm

Saw this marquee change, too. Looks like they were wrapping up filming this weekend; the job they did on changing it to the Detroit was amazingly seamless.

someonewalksinla
someonewalksinla on January 22, 2006 at 7:44 am

Confirming recent posts. Was out shooting theatres and the crew member reported they were also replacing bulbs underneath sign.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 20, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Now, that’s wonderful news! I’ve been in the Palace, even saw movies there, before it closed. Glad to hear it keeps its historic name, and thrilled to hear about the marquee.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on January 20, 2006 at 1:43 pm

Thank you for questioning me on this as I apparently jumped the gun. The name change is in fact temporary for a film shoot. “Dream Girls” is shooting there and the Palace name will be replaced sometime next week. The benefit to the theater, according to the manager, for allowing them to do this is that when the Palace name returns they will have a fully functional restored marquee. Pretty cool.