Loew's Triboro Theatre

2804 Steinway Street,
Astoria, NY 11103

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 7, 2007 at 5:16 am

The underlying ground was previously occupied by a factory where the first Hellman’s Mayonnaise was manufactured in 1912. By 1929, the product was so popular that Richard Hellman moved to larger quarters and sold the 150' x 190' corner site to Loew’s Theatres. Due to the onset of the Depression, construction of a new theatre was delayed, but when building actually started in the summer of 1930, it took only seven months for Loew’s Triboro to be completed.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 14, 2006 at 1:20 am

Cancel my subscription to the Queens Gazette. On the cover of the current issue, there’s a small photo of the theatre (appparently copied from the one displayed in the Cinema Treasures introduction) with the headline “What’s Playing At the Triborough.” Doesn’t the paper employ proofreaders? All they had to do was look at the photo to recognize the correct spelling. Fortunately, “Triboro” is spelled correctly in the story on page 50, which is merely a summary of LI Star-Journal news items and advertising in December, 1955. The Triboro is reported to be showing a return engagement “by popular demand” of “The Country Girl,” while the Astoria had “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” (both, almost certainly, as part of double features).

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 13, 2006 at 4:38 pm

What a shame. It seems like it was quite original.

AlexNYC
AlexNYC on December 13, 2006 at 3:41 pm

Great photo Warren, brings back memories of how I remembered the theater. I recall this theater and the RKO Keith were the only ones where I used to prefer to sit in the balcony section to see the features so I could admire the architectural reliefs on the walls and ceiling.

frankdev
frankdev on December 12, 2006 at 6:51 am

Thanks Warren that was a great shot!!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 12, 2006 at 5:53 am

This photo from April, 1974, must have been taken not too long before the theatre closed for demolition. The original marquee was little changed from 1931 except for the lighter-colored backgrounds of the sections with “Loew’s” and “Loew’s Triboro.” An attraction board above the entrance doors reads “Join Loew’s Golden Age Movie Club…Membership Cards At Our Box Office Now.” I wonder what that was all about? Perhaps a discount scheme for senior citizens?
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/triboro1974.jpg

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 1, 2006 at 5:15 am

The Triboro dropped vaudeville on December 1, 1932, after a run of one year, nine months and 11 days. The final stage bill supported “Cabin in the Cotton,” in which rising star Bette Davis drawled the now immortal “I’d like to kiss you but I just washed my hair.” The Triboro’s new policy of “All The Show On The Screen” started with the Clark Gable-Jean Harlow sizzler “Red Dust” and assorted short subjects. To help the Depression afflicted, admission prices were substantially reduced:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/triboro32.jpg

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 15, 2006 at 4:21 am

A pair of Jerry Lewis re-releases were running at the Triboro the weekend JFK was assassinated:
Fab-u-Lewis – LI Star Journal 11/23/63

I bet the prospect of back-to-back Lewis features was a lot scarier than the alleged horror twin bill that was advertised as coming to the Triboro the following Wednesday.

AlexNYC
AlexNYC on July 22, 2006 at 12:54 pm

One the Steinway Street side (the front) there is a row of stores with two stories of apartments above. One the back side (38th street) is a row of two family homes. Today the tought of tearing down the Loews Triboro for something so mundane and ordinary boggles the mind.

ShortyC
ShortyC on July 13, 2006 at 11:35 am

What is on the current site of the former Loews Triboro?

frankdev
frankdev on December 7, 2005 at 2:17 pm

Warren THANK YOU THANK YOU< it was great to see the inside again.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 7, 2005 at 8:37 am

The first photo shows how Loew’s drastically reduced the size of the vertical sign to save on electricity and maintenance. The original can be seen in the photo in the introductory section.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 4, 2005 at 8:04 am

The seldom photographed north side of the marquee can be seen in this 1943 photo. According to a hanging sign, vaudeville was being presented on stage that night. The parade float mentions that the next “Miss Steinway” will be selected in ceremonies on the Triboro’s stage on October 19:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/trisahara.jpg

AlexNYC
AlexNYC on September 2, 2005 at 8:15 am

Thnaks for the photos of the inside of the theater, it brings back alot of memories. What a glorious theater it was, and what a disgrace politics allowed to be razed for a bunch of rowhouses. I recall hearing during 1974 that there was going to be a large department store built in it’s place, so I was very suprised when houses went up in it’s place. What a waste. Go figure.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 25, 2005 at 2:39 am

Here are two images of the auditorium, which was similar to Lamb’s earlier Pitkin in Brooklyn, but less extravagant. The arrival of the Depression caused Loew’s to cut the Triboro’s budget:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/128-2851_IMG.jpg

RobertR
RobertR on July 8, 2005 at 6:11 am

Nobody has added the Manhattan Roosevelt on 145 St see the ad I have posted on the 125 St Apollo and Cinerama site.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 8, 2005 at 5:50 am

That’s a great photo of today’s Steinway and 28th Street. I recently circumnavigated the neighborhood looking for the great Titan Greek Supermarket, all the while wondering where the Triboro had once stood. This block of rowhouses would never have occured to me as the location.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on July 8, 2005 at 5:15 am

The Triboro Theatre located on 125th Street, Harlem was known as the Gotham Theatre, already listed here http://cinematreasures.org/theatre/6523/

br91975
br91975 on July 8, 2005 at 3:40 am

The Triboro (which I’m too young to have attended) was torn down for THOSE?!? What… a… disgrace…

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 6, 2005 at 9:47 am

Here is a photo of the awe-inspiring buildings that replaced Loew’s Triboro. Gratitude should be given to Queens borough president Donald Mannes, who, thankfully, committed suicide in the wake of the scandal that followed:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/108-0888_IMG.jpg

RobertR
RobertR on May 20, 2005 at 5:53 am

Here is a shot of the marquee at night.

frankdev
frankdev on May 4, 2005 at 10:43 am

I grew up in the triboro. it was beautiful, fun place to see a movie. not only did i see movies there but my graduation form bryant
high school was held in the triboro. i still miss it.

hardbop
hardbop on March 31, 2005 at 10:25 am

Ah, that answers the question. The Broadway is the cinemas that was on Broadway between 31st and 32nd Streets just east of the subway stop. The Strand at one time was I believe some sort of studio, like Kaufman/Astoria Studios. What they filmed, or still film, there I don’t know; I never went in there. There were (and are) retail stores in the building that must have been the Strand. There was also a bowling alley at one time in the same complex I believe that was in the basement and that closed some time since I moved to Astoria in the 1970s.

How can I find out when the Strand and Broadway closed?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 31, 2005 at 10:11 am

The only theatres on Broadway in Astoria were the Broadway, which is near the Broadway elevated subway station and now a catering hall, and the Strand, which is several blocks west of the el station. I don’t know what the Strand is used for, if anything. The entrance was converted to retail.

hardbop
hardbop on March 31, 2005 at 10:01 am

I have lived in Astoria since ‘87 and didn’t know there were four theatres on Steinway! Only the dreadful Astoria six-'plex was open when I moved here and now that is closed.

I noticed that the theatre on Crescent & Broadway was mentioned. That was the Strand.

I take it that the Triboro was on the northwest corner of Steinway & 28th Avenue. Those apartments are the pits, though there is nice coffee shop/bar on the corner.

What block was the Steinway? I don’t recall a Brothers store off the top of my head, but the building on the southwest corner of 30th Avenue and Steinway looks like it could have been a theatre at one time.

Then there was the Olympia on Steinway & 25th Street. That must be just south of the Grand Central on the same block where the Triboro used to be.

Where was the fourth Steinway Street Cinema located?

And there must have been a cinema on the corner of 32nd Street and Broadway, now the site of a bank. The building looks like it was a cinema at one time.