Walker Theater

RobertR
RobertR on July 11, 2005 at 11:20 pm

Christmas 1968, check out the size of this print run. In Brooklyn 28 theatres

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 11, 2005 at 3:17 pm

Theaterat,

Can’t wait to see your collection!

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 9, 2005 at 5:46 pm

My grandparents lived near the Walker. One of my grandfathers card buddies was Jake, the manager of the Walker.From 1965 to 1971, I was able to get into the Walker Free! All I had to do was say the password and the ticket seller would let me{and one guest}in. Once inside, we had run of the th\eater and we could sit wherever we wanted to. Naturally, we always sat in the first row of the loge section of the balcony. It was great! Even when the balcony was closed we sat there. Many were the great- and not too great films I saw here. Since the neighborhood where the Walker was was practically my second home, this is one theater{ along with the Oriental} that I can say I practically grew up at. I have many items to post concerning this theater that I intend to post in the very near future.

ralphave
ralphave on July 9, 2005 at 5:17 pm

Saw The Thrilla in Manila there. Ali vs. Frazier. Great fight. I remember the place being very smokey.

RobertR
RobertR on July 2, 2005 at 2:46 am

UA booked almost every closed circuit fight into the Walker. They always did huge business there.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on June 30, 2005 at 11:59 am

The Walker was one of my favorite theaters growing up. I lived on 18th and 81st so the Walker was within a short distance. Saw my first James Bond movie there (Dr No.) Other films I saw there include:
Goldfinger
Pay or Die
Purple Gang (whatever happened to this film?)
The Great Race
Marriage, Italian Style
Operation Bikini (b-war movie with Tab Hunter, Frankie Avalon and Jim Backus. Ho'ws that for a cast!)
Boy’s Night Out
Notorious Landlady (Jack Lemmon film that deserves a DVD release!)

RobertR
RobertR on June 29, 2005 at 7:46 pm

This site mentions Clay Cole doing his Rock & Roll shows at the Walker Theatre.

frankie
frankie on June 23, 2005 at 7:48 pm

In the 1980’s I was lucky enough to actually attend 2 live concerts at the Walker. Helen Reddy came and did a wonderful show and, believe it or not, there was actually a double bill of Kay Starr and Rosemary Clooney ! Right in Brooklyn ! Kay did one of the greatest show-stoppers I’ve ever seen: a medley of “For The Good Times” and “Help Me Make It Through The Night.” What Days ! Frankie

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 1, 2005 at 2:06 am

I remember back in the 70’s traveling up to the Walker on 18th Ave.because they had a midnight showing of the original Night Of The Living Dead.What a scary flick! Anyway,I had forgotten about this theatre,sorry to hear it closed. I’m surprised since 18th Ave. is such a busy shopping area.I also recall they showed a lot of Italian films.

sherry4sherry
sherry4sherry on February 15, 2005 at 3:01 am

I was born in 1939….and went to PS48 and Shallow Jr High……
and lived at 1945 60th Street between 19th & 20th Ave…..the WALKER
Theater was a big part of my childhood….my parents took me there often and I remember my MOM and Aunts getting FREE PLATES when we went there… I think they were mostly DINNER size…….
The first movie I ever saw without parental supervision was a real hoot….2 boys from my block took me to see “ABBOTT & COSTELLO meet FRANKENSTEIN”….and I was scared out of my wits……..it was a real adventure…..after that I went to the movies with just friends often…..and on special occasions my FATHER took me……
I always thought the WALKER was such a beautiful and exciting place to go

Blooeyz2001
Blooeyz2001 on January 19, 2005 at 8:08 pm

I was born in 1960. I live in Florida now, but lived in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn (on 60th Street between 19th & 20th Avenues) from ‘60-'69. From '69-'88, I lived on Staten Island. I remember seeing movies at The Walker Theatre as a child. For some reason “One Million Years B.C.” with Raquel Welch in 1966 stands out. Back then, going to the movies was like a “special event”! I remember the theatre was beautiful & impressive, especially to a kid. I remember walking along 18th Avenue, with my mom often. Stores that stand out in my mind are the toy store “Joyland”. Also, “John’s Bargain Store” & “Berta’s Bargain Store” which would both be equivalent to a dollar store today.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on August 10, 2004 at 2:16 am

Gerard—,
molto bene! Yes, there was (is?) an Italian community in that neighborhood that could support an Italo double-bill. The neighborhood also supported a terrific restaurant that had moved in from the Old Bklyn Navy Yard (Navy Street), where Frank Sinatra (and Ava!!) ate in the early ‘50s. It was named La Palina, and it engineered (heh, heh) great meals before or after the show at the Walker.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on August 7, 2004 at 8:28 pm

My only visit to the Walker (I’m from R.I.) was on October 23, 1978 when I went out by subway to see two Italian films that were showing there. The theatre was still single-screen. It seemed a impressive place though a slightly dingy one at the time. For the record the films were “Totosexy” with the popular Italian comic performer Totò and Mario Camerini’s “Il Brigante Musolino,” about a bandit from Calabria. It starred Amedeo Nazzari and Silvana Mangano.

genahy
genahy on July 1, 2004 at 8:44 am

by the by, does anyone know when this closed. I seem to remember the changeover happening in the late 80s or early 90s

genahy
genahy on July 1, 2004 at 8:42 am

when a retail space takes over a theater, there’s usually no way to tell the place was ever a theater. Not so with the Walker. You can just tell from the marquee and lobby-like interior that it was a beautiful movie palace. It’s retained much of its original architecture. Maybe someone will bring a theater back here someday.

ERD
ERD on March 31, 2004 at 6:17 am

The Walker theatre may not have been a “true” atomspheric theatre, having a more ornamental and expensive ceiling, but its designer certainly incorporated many elements of Eberson’s concept of making the interior of the theatre like an elegant garden. It is interesting to note that The Walker was built in 1927-the same year that the atmospheric Universal & Fortway theatres opened(both not too far from the Walker). In any case, anyone who had the good fortune of actually seeing a a show in this theatre, would probably agree that it was one of the most beautful theatres in Brooklyn.

RobertR
RobertR on February 10, 2004 at 6:20 pm

The sky was blue, but like mentioned no clouds or twinkling stars. When the theatre was multiplexed all of the side arches and murals were restored and relit. Like I mentioned in an earlier post the quad was built like a free standing shell to not ruin the walls or ceiling. I have been told everything is in place and that the present store only occupies the lobby and part of the orchestra. Even the marquee is under the present sign. What a shame it is not being used as a theatre, it’s a great busy area. As for The Marlboro it looks like UA is actually going ahead to multiplex it. I dont know how many scrweens, and part of the reason the Midaway turned out as good as it did is that UA sold the building to real estate developer Elias Heskell who did the renovations and UA got the right to operate the theatre.

MarkW
MarkW on February 10, 2004 at 12:31 am

Warren,

I believe the Marboro and Walker were “Cousins” Do you have any info on the Marboro such as the builder etc. I think the Marboro was always movies due to the lack of dressing rooms but I may be wrong. If you have any info on the Marboro, Can you please post it on the Marboro page? Thanks!

-Mark

ERD
ERD on February 8, 2004 at 11:45 pm

The Walker theatre’s ceiling was dark blue, representing the sky. It was in the “atomspheric” stlye as the interior was designed to make you think you were outside. (The Walker was in many ways like a small version of Chicago’s Paradise theatre) When I took a private tour of the THE WALKER years ago, I spoke with the caretaker who was there when the theatre opened. He gave me a great deal of information.

sloopiel
sloopiel on February 8, 2004 at 10:25 pm

I also graduated from Shallow Junior High in 1970 at the Walker. I remember the movies Orlando describes playing there. It is a shame that these theaters, movie palaces, are all gone now. The Walker was beautiful, just like the movie palaces on Flatbush Avenue, the Loews Kings, and the others. They made movie-going a lot more fun. How sad that such a part of NY history and tradition is going to waste. Maybe some of these theaters could be converted into live community theaters.

RobertR
RobertR on January 27, 2004 at 8:17 pm

The multiplexing of the theatre was done in a way as to not destroy any of the walls or ceiling. It was almost like a free standing shell. There was one theatre in the balcony and three downstairs. The two under the balcony were tiny but the other one allowed the walls and arch to be seen. In typical UA fashion they mismanaged this place and just closed it. The Mandys store is only built in the lobby and part of the auditorium, dead center. The entire theatre is there untouched as per the lease with the owner. The marquee remains also. Maybe someday someone will make this a live theatre. By the way in the 70’s they played loads of italian shows here with people like Tony Bennett, Al Martino and Connie Francis.

Orlando
Orlando on January 27, 2004 at 6:27 pm

I graduated from Shallow Junior High School at the Walker Theatre in 1970. At the time, we had a G.O. card that enabled us access to all Randforce Theatres in Brooklyn for 50 cents. The card had a list of all the theatres on it. That June of 1970, the double bill at the Walker was “Cactus Flower” and “The Ambushers” which I and a friend saw the day before the graduation excercises. It was a $1.00 house at the time. Fifty cents is what children and G.O. students paid. There was a poster for the reserved seat engagement of “Hello Dolly!” at the N.Y. Rivoli in the lobby. The United Artists takeover of all the Randforce Theatres occured some months later. I do not remember the stars in the ceiling, but it was a beautiful neighborhood theatre.

ERD
ERD on January 27, 2004 at 6:04 pm

The Walker theater was opened in 1927 with movies & stage shows. Live shows were dropped when sound films shortly came in. It was
named for the then New York mayor, Jimmy Walker. The WALKER was a very beautiful “atmospheric” theatre. You felt you were in a garden of a chateau. There was a Wurlitzer organ which was restored by an organ society shortly before the theatre was divided into quads. (At first the auditorium and balcony was split into two theatres. Little damage was done to it at that time) United Artists owned the theatre for a while. The stage was occasionally used for shows until the late 1970’s. Shallow Junior High School used it for their graduations.

William
William on November 18, 2003 at 12:09 am

The Walker Theatre is located at 6401 18th Ave., and it seated 2276 people.