Coronet Theatre

3575 Geary Boulevard,
San Francisco, CA 94118

JimC
JimC on December 28, 2006 at 4:36 am

Interior demolition of the Coronet apparantly began about 2 weeks ago. A huge debris box has been set up in the parking lot next to the theater and scaffolding has been erected inside. I have seen workers dumping wheelbarrows full of plaster & tile into the debris box and as I was passing there one day last week I saw them hauling out huge rolls of carpet that had been ripped out of the interior. -JimC-

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 27, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Here is a July 2000 article about the possible demolition of the theater:

JimC
JimC on September 20, 2006 at 10:46 am

The Coronet saga goes on.
You can read the latest news (Sept 2006) here:

0119188
0119188 on September 14, 2006 at 8:47 pm

Thursday, I was in Berkeley in an architectual salvage yard, and two of the coronet’s glass fronted movie poster display cases were for sale. I guess parts of the Coronet will live on elsewhere…

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on July 12, 2006 at 7:13 am

The theater is still standing (as of last week anyway) and the marquee says something about it being the future home of the senior center who owns it.

That’s one movie I don’t want to see.

jvbrennan
jvbrennan on July 11, 2006 at 5:06 pm

All of eleven years old I saw BEN-HUR at the Coronet in the Spring of 1960. Traveled alone by public transit all the way from East Oakland to see it. To this day the best movie experience ever. The lead up to the break for Intermission and the accompanying music was exquisite. Drama & score marriage has never been outdone. Hollywood pulled out all the stops on this one. I tip my hat to you Coronet for knowing how to put on a show. When that huge red curtain closed and I walked out of the theater that day in 1960 the Coronet would indelibly be etched in my memory forever. Goodbye old friend.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 15, 2006 at 7:02 pm

Is the theatre still sitting there?

segask
segask on June 15, 2006 at 6:42 pm

how many subwoofers did it have?

Steve2
Steve2 on April 27, 2006 at 8:20 pm

Indeed. Tearing down a single screen theater in ANY neighborhood is tragic.

I think that neighborhood did not get involved to protest or fight to save the Coronet theater.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 27, 2006 at 5:41 pm

What a bunch of $#*&

Tear down decrepit theatres in ghetto neighborhoods that are about to fall over. But don’t mess around with one that is well-maintained and does good business. You can build a freakin' senior center anywere.

I shouldn’t post comments of this nature. But it REALLY pisses me off.

Hibi
Hibi on March 9, 2006 at 5:53 am

Valuable real estate. Sad. At least the Coronet didnt undergo the indignity of being multiplexed itself. I’ve read about this theater for years………

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on March 8, 2006 at 2:23 pm

Pretty ridicuous situation. It could be argued that theatres which have decayed to the point of being dangerous (like Detroit’s United Artists) should probably be torn down. But nobody can argue about those that are in good repair and still have significant ticket sales. My guess is that it all comes down to someone paying someone else a lot of money. Such is usually the case.

geogenes
geogenes on March 8, 2006 at 10:58 am

Yes..those are very nice theaters, but the only one still showing first run films is the UA Metro.

William
William on March 8, 2006 at 10:49 am

And the wonderful Castro Theatre too.

William
William on March 8, 2006 at 10:47 am

Don’t forget the city still has the Orpheum, Golden Gate and the Warfield Theatres. Ok they found renewed life with stage shows and concerts, their still around and open.

wago70
wago70 on March 8, 2006 at 10:11 am

Correction – it’s not the city’s last great one. The Metro is still with us although I haven’t gone there in a few years. It’s a beauty. I’ll post my accolades there.
Thanks for reading!

wago70
wago70 on March 8, 2006 at 10:07 am

THE PLACE to see the first-run blockbuster. How I bragged about this theater to everyone I knew when I first moved to San Francisco. Little by little, I made them all watch a movie here and they all ask about it. I had to break the news to them. My parents are still upset it’s closed and when they visit me, they no longer want to see a movie in the city. Even they know all we have left is…shoeboxes. That’s because the city has lost a jewel of first-run programming. The closing of this theater was the last straw for me. After my problems with the new multiplexes and with no place decent to see a first-run Hollywood film, I have officially stopped going.
This theater had such great sound and going here was what movie watching was all about. Everyone got along here! No cellphone problems! No tough-talking guetto youths staring you down as you walked by! It was this city’s last civilized, classy first-run theater. They’re gone. Over.

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on July 17, 2005 at 7:41 am

I agree that these buildings remaining unused is a shame, but at least they REMAIN! And in so doing, there’s always hope that somehow they may return to showing movies.

Eric
Eric on July 17, 2005 at 7:15 am

Well, The Coronet is still standing there, untouched since it ‘closed’. What was the point of closing it if no immediate action was going to be taken? The GIOA could have still been leasing it back to REG all this time. They could have been showing Episode 3 and War Of The Worlds all this time…

What a complete waste of the building, a complete waste of lossed rent $$ for the GIOA, and a waste for the City of SF.

And it makes me MAD AS HELL!

(The same can be said for The Alexandria, too!)

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 14, 2005 at 1:26 am

Saw Paper Moon here for the first time on June 24, 1973 and Aliens on July 18, 1986.

Steve2
Steve2 on June 30, 2005 at 6:38 am

Saw Speilberg’s War Of The Worlds last night and couldn’t help think how awesome this film would have been at The Coronet with a pack house. Oh well…..

Coate
Coate on June 29, 2005 at 9:28 pm

The Coronet was among the handful of theaters that was equipped with Cinema Digital Sound (CDS), the 1990-1991 precursor to the contemporary digital sound formats.

Coate
Coate on June 19, 2005 at 5:11 am

The Coronet was among the theatres included in the original limited-market launch of “Star Wars.” The Coronet’s 5/25/77 opening-day gross, according to Daily Variety, was a house record $16,462.

libbyhelen
libbyhelen on June 9, 2005 at 1:20 pm

I have been in contact with Mr. Lucas' office, and he has chosen not to get involved at this time… Oh well.

robertgippy
robertgippy on June 9, 2005 at 1:07 pm

I think that George Lucas, who openly stated that the Coronet was one of his favorite theatres, doesn’t step in to intervene. He’s got millions, and what a tax deduction! To save a theatre with his backing? I am very surprised, and dissapointed that he did not at least arrange his Star Wars screening there. With the Alexandra gone and now the Coronet, the Bridge is the last remaining open movie house on Geary Street. It is amazing that such a huge populace such as San Francisco, would not patronize such a wonderful theatre. In a city rich with culture and entertainment, this is a travesty.