Kenmore Theatre

2101 Church Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

JamesCoyle
JamesCoyle on September 1, 2004 at 10:48 am

In answer to lopes on Aug 15 the theater on Church near Nostrand was the Granada.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 20, 2004 at 12:07 pm

THIS WAS A GREAT OLD TIME MOVIE HOUSE ALWAYS OVERSHADOWED BY THE LOEWS KINGS.Even as a quad still nice and cineplex odeon renovation of this theater was great.

lopes
lopes on August 15, 2004 at 9:52 am

Does anyone remember the name of the movie theater that was located on Church ave near Nostrand? They used to play blaxplotation films..

br91975
br91975 on July 8, 2004 at 8:35 pm

The shooting noted in John and Jamal’s initial description occurred when a member from one gang sat in a seat previously occupied by a member from a rival gang and was shot to death for doing so prior to a 10 pm, opening night screening of ‘Life’. According to an ABC-7 Eyewitness News report the next day, Loews decided to immediately walk away from the property instead of, as originally planned, holding on until their lease ran out at the end of the year.

v12f
v12f on July 6, 2004 at 9:45 pm

They used to run rock music films at midnight in the mid to late 1970’s like
“Rainbow Bridge”(Jimi Hendrix)and “The Song Remains The Same”(Led Zeppelin), I think it was on Friday nights.The last movie I saw there was “History of The World” part 1(Mel Brooks).Afterwords it was Chinese food at Joy King across the street.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2004 at 6:19 am

Here is some information on the seating capacity for each of the Kenmore’s auditoriums. Theatre 1: 668 seats, Theatre 2: 660 seats, Theatre 3: 550 seats, Theatre 4: 551 seats.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 22, 2004 at 9:13 am

I remeber going there with my Mom to see a movie in the early 80’s but for the life of me I can’t remeber what it was. I do remember here buying me a pack of “Star Wars” trading cards afterword while I read my Fangoria magazine on the bus ride home.

Orlando
Orlando on April 27, 2004 at 1:21 pm

The Will Pogany murals were either painted over during the Cineplex Odeon redo in between ‘89-'91 or after the RKO “quadding” in 1977. They were there in 1973. If they were attached to the walls (fabric-mural) then they were removed for their value again by either of the above. The balcony walls were painted in blue when I saw the theatre over ten years ago. Usually only the main floor of an unused theatre property is gutted for retail with the balcony unseen under false ceilings. This is not the case with the Kenmore. The restored lobby was’t even spared as I saw the area hollowed out last May 2003.

Orlando
Orlando on April 27, 2004 at 12:49 pm

The last operating Flatbush Avenue movie palace is now gutted for retail, a Modell’s, how sad! I saw “Bullitt”, “Bonnie And Clyde”, “Take The Money And Run”, “Custer Of The West”, “Whatever Happened To Aunt Alice?‘, "The Odd Couple”, Jerry Lewis in “Which Way To The Front?”. The last thing I saw there was a double feature of “Ben” and “Tales From The Crypt” in 1972/3. The trailer for “Lady Sings The Blues” the next attraction was shown. I took a tour of thr theatre after the Cineplex-Odeon redo in the late '80’s or early '90’s. C/O did a nine or ten month renovation with the theatre closed all the way through the nine months. They did a great job of the lobby. (I won’t talk about the auditorium). Backstage was a storage ares that consisted of old popcorn warmers, hot dog machines and other concession equipment from the RKO days. (They never threw anything out) I’ll bet all the relics backstage ended up in a dumpster once “Onex” sold the building for retail. They made sure it would be gutted and never used as a theatre. They should be boycotted. Big “theatre owner” companys don’t care about their history, they only know how to celebrate being 100 years old with no regard for their historical past.

jays
jays on April 11, 2004 at 4:38 pm

This theatre opened if i’m not mistaken from information i’ve recently found opened in the late 1920’s it was a single screen until the mid to late 70’s when it whent straight to a four screen cinema it had decent sound for a single screen to quad conversion but some times in the downstairs cinemas the sound leaked but aside from that had some nice elements to especially when it first reopened as a quad. It declined over the years. it’s now opened as a Moddell sporting good store with no sign of this once magnificent moviehouse but the stripped marquee reading Modell’s. and more retail space is being made in the areas which housed the screens and front auditorium areas of cinemas 1 and 2 down front.

Mike326
Mike326 on January 13, 2004 at 9:49 pm

The RKO Kenmore, became a quad as early as 1978. One of the last movies to play there when it was one screen, was “Close Encounters”.
I remember seeing “Foul PLay” there in the fall of 78, and hearing the music from “Grease” pounding through the wall.
Regardless, it’s sad to see it closed, because it was the last surviving movie house in Flatbush, and it was a beauty.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on November 26, 2003 at 6:34 am

The former Cineplex Odeon Kemore Quad is in the process of being turned into a Modell’s Sporting Goods Store, the inside has totally been gutted of any theatre related items. The marquee of this former movie palace has been stripped of it’s neon Kemore lettering, it’s been covered up and Modell’s signs are now on all three sides. A trully sad sight indeed for this former vaudeville theatre in Flatbush Brooklyn.

William
William on November 15, 2003 at 9:56 am

The RKO Kenmore Theatre is located at 2101 Church Ave..

unknown
unknown on October 8, 2003 at 10:43 am

I can tell you that the Kenmore began as a single screen house, and had been converted to a four screen multiplex by the time of its closing in 1999.