Commack Drive-In

44 Veterans Memorial Highway,
Commack, NY 11725

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Bloop on June 30, 2007 at 11:45 am

I think they should change the name of this site to “Gone Forever”!LOL! I also WISH, there was a site like this for old department stores. Imagine cliking on a page of posts for “Korvettes, Commack, NY”, etc.! I remember the Modells in East Northport had a pet department with a small monkey (!) for sale. LOL.

Bloop on June 30, 2007 at 11:38 am

WOW, Saps! Great story! Like I said before, at the time, “Willard” was the most talked about movie in town! LOL. Everyone loved the scene where the big mean boss Ernest Broganine, was killed by the army of ferocious rats—watch that scene today: it looks like the camera crew is is tossing poor little trained mice at Ernie and they are bouncing off of him. This movie made a TON of money for…Bing Crosby as it was his production company that backed “Willard”. “Night of the Living Dead” still holds up well! I remember the first time I saw it, on the late movie on A.B.C. circa 1976 on a Saturday night. Although I was not enriched by seeing “Night…” at Commack, I did see “Dawn…” there, Spring 1979, twice and it’s one of my best Commack D.I. memories of all time.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 29, 2007 at 6:31 pm

My family often went to Commack Drive-In in our station wagon. One night we went to see “Willard” and when it was over the second feature began, one we’d never heard of, in black and white, called “Night of the Living Dead.” My mother said, this is going to be very good or very bad, so we stayed to check it out.

In a word, wow! We were all petrified. At one point someone tapped on our window (causing us all to jump!) to ask my father to stop stepping on the brake pedal, as it was lighting up the tail-lights!

The ride home was extremely spooky, as we took an unlighted route. Just out luck, it was also foggy that night. Yikes.

I loved that fucking place.

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Dig this! Too cool for words: Fellini & Hells Angels at…the Commack Drive In…

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 9:39 am

Another disjointed triple play,(circa 1975?) courtesy of the Commack Drive In Theater!

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 9:36 am

Pre-“Go Ape” ,July 1973 ad from Commack. I saw this bill at the Whitman when I was in 5th grade, but my dedication to the Commack D.I. designates it to this page:

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 9:32 am

Oh my gosh! This double bill was at the Commack Drive In AND the Commack RKO Twin…at the same time!! Do any of my Cinema Treaures experts know if this happened more than once in the lifetime of BOTH theaters??

Bloop on June 27, 2007 at 9:53 am

Going by the ads I have collected—the triple bills stopped in 1976. Another classic incongruous Commack triple bill circa 1975:

Bloop on June 27, 2007 at 9:50 am

A GREAT double bill from Commack circa 1971! Two classic “bad” movies that most of us only know from WPIX’s channel 11 Chiller Theater on TV.

Bloop on June 26, 2007 at 7:04 pm

OK, forget “Cobra”, “Grease” and “Cold Turkey”: here is the true guts of the Commack (and other) drive in theaters! :

Bloop on June 26, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Finders Keepers/Losers Weepers: stuff I had found on the grounds of the Commack Drive In after the vacancy of the 1985 season. For about a year or two after closing, documents and paperwork were strewn all over, as well as plastic pick-up reels from the projection booth and paper supplies from the snack bar. Here are two more interesting historical bits:

Bloop on June 26, 2007 at 1:15 pm

COMMACK DRIVE IN AD for GREASE; depending on your age, this is either awesome or not…

Bloop on June 26, 2007 at 11:39 am

ABOVE: TWO MORE GREAT COMMACK ADS from the 1970’s. I suspect they owned a stock “Night of the Living Dead” print, and slapped it on, in order to pad out a triple bill—even when the other two movies were non-horror! (I’m certainly not complaining; I would have LOVED to have seen “N.O.T.L.D.” at the Commack Drive In !) By the late 1970’s the triple bills were trimmed down to mere doubles. Correction from above “Dawn of the Dead” ad: the double bill was “Dawn…” and “The Kentucky Fried Movie”.

Bloop on June 26, 2007 at 11:02 am

I think I may have seen the “Out of Towners” there as well, but with another movie on the bill as I have no memory of “Cold Turkey” at all. I believe I have the ad for the “Chainsaw” & “Mad Mad Movie Makers” somewhere. What the hell was “Mad Mad Movie Makers”?! It doesn’t even sound like a real movie. We may have been warned about the “Chainsaw” print as well, can’t remember (I may have been hiding in the TRUNK at the time). I just found all my old movie ticket stubs in a scrapbook. Here are some Commack ones, and a triple bill; (see if you can spot which movie does NOT include Dustin Hoffman), and an ambiguous Commack horror double bill from the late 1960’s that makes it so hard to believe that movies like “Cobra” actually wound up there. By 1983.

dsslave
dsslave on June 25, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Hey BLOOP…do you remember when the re-release of Texas Chainsaw played the Commack DI in the early 80’s… they had workers warning patrons on line in their cars that film print was bad and that once they paid…they would NOT get their money back? We entered anyway. My dad had taken me to see TEXAS CHAINSAW when it was first released at the Commack Drive in in 1974…it played with a comedy called MAD MAD MOVIE MAKERS.

dsslave
dsslave on June 25, 2007 at 10:04 pm

The first time I went to the Commack DI was a double bill in 1971—COLD TURKEY w/ THE OUT OF TOWNERS
The last movie I saw there was COBRA in 1986

dsslave
dsslave on June 25, 2007 at 9:58 pm

Great photos BLOOP! Actually I did some research in the late 90’s and the COMMACK DRIVE IN opened no earlier than 1952 and no later than 1953. I’m still in search of photos of the ORIGINAL Commack Drive In marquee before it was changed in 1980 to the one in the BLOOP photo’s. I think BLOOP and I are the only two people alive this obsessed with the Commack Drive In!

Bloop on June 25, 2007 at 5:03 pm

How did I forget!? the summer of 1976, I saw the Karen Black classic “Burnt Offerings” here! Don’t laugh…I’m SURE a remake is on it’s way!

Bloop on June 25, 2007 at 9:48 am

The first movie I saw at the Commack Drive In on a high school date: “The Swarm”!

Bloop on June 25, 2007 at 9:42 am

The most mentioned movies on this site: 1)Star Wars. 2) Jaws. 3) E.T. 4) The Sound of Music. 5)Howard The Duck. _______ When there’s no more room in HELL; the dead with walk to Commack:

Bloop on June 23, 2007 at 10:33 am

a pivotal cinema moment (for some folks—depending on your age)at the Commack Drive In : View link

Bloop on June 22, 2007 at 2:43 pm

DATELINE: very early 1980’s. The dying days of “grind house” at Commack Drive In:

Bloop on June 22, 2007 at 9:01 am

I’m pretty good with dates—except for my guess with the opening of the Commack D.I. ____ PHOTOS from my collection: a speaker, yanked from the pole at Commack D.I. in 1981, and a piece of the plastic marquee sign that I saved (part of the “E” in “Drive”!). View link