Ziegfeld Theatre

1341-47 Sixth Avenue,
New York, NY 10105

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 24, 2005 at 10:06 am

Just noticed a glaring error in my post of 1/5/05. In line three, the wording should be “the State was showing Bing Crosby’s ‘Dixie’ and a stage show…while the Ziegfeld had ‘Dixie’ accompanied by…."
J. Foley has posted about a different Ziegfeld Theatre. This one was demolished 39 years ago!

Chickey
Chickey on October 24, 2005 at 10:03 am

J. Foley
Why not try calling on one of the local t.v. or radio stations? I worked for radio stations and also newspapers and they usually had free passes to these events.
Or call the theatre directly..I am sure if you explain your situation with your daughter someone will come forward with the tickets. I wish I had some I would give them to you. Good luck I hope you get the tickets for your daughter.

Chickey

Mother
Mother on October 24, 2005 at 9:15 am

I am hoping some one can help me. My handicapped Daughter wants so badly to see the Premier of the new Harry Potter movie November 12th its not funny. I keep telling her we can’t get the tickets but all she does is cry. Do any of you know how I can get tickets to this premier?

J. Foley

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 5, 2005 at 11:07 am

In its final years as a Loew’s movie house, the Ziegfeld played the same double features as the circuit’s top theatres in other parts of Manhattan. Sometimes, the main feature would be the same as the movie being shown with vaudeville at Loew’s State in Times Square. In August, 1943, for example, the Ziegfeld was showing Bing Crosby’s “Dixie” and a stage show headed by Arthur Tracy, Harry Langdon and Edith Fellows, while the Ziegfeld had “Dixie” accompanied by “Aerial Gunner.” In January, 1944, the State had Humphrey Bogart’s “Sahara” with Patricia Morison, Jackie Gleason and Harrison & Fisher topping the vaudeville bill, while the Ziegfeld was showing “Sahara” with “Is Everybody Happy?”.

Patsy
Patsy on December 14, 2004 at 9:16 am

Come by the RCMH site as a couple of posters have really been talking about their RCMH memories…good, bad and otherwise.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on December 14, 2004 at 7:37 am

Patsy- sorry for delay in responding – While I have been to RCMH, I have never been to the Christmas Show there – I didn’t grow up in NYC and therefore never was taken there as a kid, as were most kids who did grow up here – as an adult I’ve never gotten around to it.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on December 13, 2004 at 8:40 am

Patsy,
Yes the page on Radio City Music Hall in Cinema Treasure has many posts and I have certainly contributed quite a few as I am crazy about this building(worked there during Robin and Marian) and grieve over the way it has been wasted in recent years.
Leonidoff was the stage show producer who Roxy brought from the his original theater on 7th Av to Rockefeller Center(literally a block away.)
Leonidoff along with greats like Russel Markert and Florence Rogge created the stage shows for which the Music Hall became famous and was responsible for the religious portions of both the Christmas and Easter shows. His Nativity was a Renaissance pagaent stressing color, spectacle, movement and tableau as imagined by a Medici.

Patsy
Patsy on December 13, 2004 at 8:17 am

Vincent: Thanks so much for your honesty in regards to segments other than the Rockettes. I’m sure you are probably right about the Nativity scene and it looking like it was produced by a “midwestern Christian Fundamentalist”. LOL! Times have certainly changed and not for the better, it seems. Enlighten me on who Leonidoff was in connection to RCMH. Thanks. And where do I find this “Hall” page? Would your comments in regards to the RCMH be on the Cinema Treasures page of listed architects?

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on December 13, 2004 at 8:07 am

I’ve posted my thoughts on the RCMH Christmas show on the Hall page.
The Rockettes are great. Everything else is a bad joke. But then I remember the show from the late 60’s and early 70’s when it was still pretty wonderful.
The midgets are emabarassing and the Nativity is downright offensive(I am not a PC person but this seems to have been produced by a midwestern christian fundamentalist,Leonidoff has to be spinning in his grave.)
However mine seems to be a minority opinion.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 13, 2004 at 7:35 am

The seating capacity of 1,660 is probably correct (give or take a few seats). Don’t forget that the Ziegfeld was built as a “legit” playhouse and not for movies. It’s rare to find any theatre designed for plays or vaudeville with more than 1,800 seats. When the Ziegfeld was listed in Film Daily Year Books as a Loew’s movie house, the seating capacity was given as 2,000, but, IMHO, that was either an error or an exaggeration. I don’t know how nearly 400 seats could have been added, nor was there any need because the Loew’s Ziegfeld was a dismal failure and played only subsequent-run movies.

Patsy
Patsy on December 13, 2004 at 7:07 am

I would imagine anyone posting on the old Zieg is probably from NYC or living in the NYC area so if anyone can give me their personal RCMH thoughts including the Christmas Spectacular that would be great! Thanks. :–)

Patsy
Patsy on December 13, 2004 at 7:05 am

Dave-Bronx: I have to ask you….since you live in the Bronx-NYC have you ever gone to see the RCMH Christmas Spectacular? I’m still waiting to go someday even though it may not be at RCMH. It came to the Shea’s in Buffalo this year, but I wasn’t able to attend. :–( RCMH has to be right up there with some of the most spectacular movie palaces in the country. I can say, though, that I’ve seen the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA. It is an ‘atmospheric’ theatre with an organ as so many of today’s theatre’s don’t have their original organs or any organ! :–(

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on December 12, 2004 at 6:20 pm

The Ziegfeld Theatre on Sixth Ave. only had 1660 seats?? I think that seat figure has to be incorrect… from photos I’ve seen in the book “Lost Broadway Theatres” by Nicholas VanHoogstraten it has to have somewhere in the neighborhood of three or four thousand seats, however the book doesn’t list seating capacity. Other major theatres of the era like Loew’s State, The Strand, Capitol and Roxy had huge capacities. Consider that the late Loews Astor Plaza (opened in 1971) that we are all familiar with, had 1528 seats at opening – and the old Zieg had only 132 seats more? Can’t be. Does anyone from the THSA on this site have a more realistic seat count?

Patsy
Patsy on December 12, 2004 at 3:43 pm

I have read that Joseph (seen it as Josef) Urban was also involved in the Paramount Theatre in Palm Beach FL.

Chickey
Chickey on October 4, 2004 at 1:07 pm

Does anyone remember that the site of The Ziegfeld used to house a Public Elementary School? P.S. 69 – I attended that school in 1964-1965 and fought hard to have the little red brick schoolhouse saved. Save Our School signs were made and we were featured on ABC NEWS.
My teachers were Mrs. Rattien and Mrs. Shapiro and the Prinicipal was Mr. Horowitz. I am researching to find a yearbook from 1965, the last year the school was in session. I remember my classmates were Jamie, Vanessa, Jody, Scott, Bernard C., Marvin (who lived in the Park Vendome) just to name a few. I am Marion R. – I would love to get some info or touch base with old classmates…
I do love the Ziegfeld theatre although it has been quite some time since I have visited.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 3, 2004 at 1:29 pm

Longislandmovies is referring to the current Ziegfeld Theatre, not the original. The latter opened as Loew’s Ziegfeld on April 21, 1933, with advertising that “The Home of the ‘Follies’ Becomes Manhattan’s Glorified Home of Talking Pictures.” At noon of that day, 200 alumnae of Ziegfeld shows took part in a tribute to the producer, who died the previous year. The single feature policy started with the subsequent-run “Rasputin and The Empress,” and there were three program changes per week on Fridays, Mondays and Wednesdays. Tickets were 15 and 25 cents at matinees, 30 cents at night (slightly higher on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays). Admission included free access to a “Ziegfeld Museum” on the mezzanine floor. I wonder if those artifacts are the same as those presently on display in the lobby of the Clearview Ziegfeld?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 16, 2004 at 6:52 pm

Walter Read ran this theater in its hayday and ran it well , the second floor has one large office that the president of Walter Read used then later by the district managers of CINEPLEX ODEON. What an office full bar master bath and an office size not seen in Manhatten.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on August 4, 2004 at 9:00 am

You folks who are talking about “Troy” are confusing this long-demolished Ziegfeld on 6th Avenue with the newer namesake on West 54th Street. The other newer one is currently listed under “The Ziegfeld.”

Nightdaze27
Nightdaze27 on August 4, 2004 at 7:56 am

My memory of the Ziegfeld theater was on May 10th at the premiere of Troy. It was me and my two other friends. We came all the way from Philly, and we skipped school (shhh!) to go to this premiere. We had the chance to meet Brad Pitt and Eric Bana. We were sort of disappointed because the main reason why we went to the premiere was to meet Orlando Bloom but it turned out that he was in Morocco Spain filming another one of his movies. It wasn’t at all a bad experience. There was alot of people there for Orlando and it was devastating that he wasn’t there but it was still a great experience. Everyone looked so good! It was my first time at the Ziegfeld and it was a great time!
Dar

lilangel2413
lilangel2413 on May 5, 2004 at 5:17 pm

Can you please tell me how to buy tickets to the “Troy” premiere and the time for the premiere. Please reply to my e-mail which is Please. :(

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 4, 2004 at 1:03 pm

The RKO logo appeared only on the marquees, the vertical signs, and on the free programs handed out at the theatre, but always separately from the four words “Radio City Music Hall.” I don’t recall ever seeing the theatre reported in the press as the “RKO Radio City Music Hall.” In fact, it would have confused the issue because RKO Radio was the name of a movie production company. The theatre was usually known as Radio City Music Hall, and sometimes abbreviated to Music Hall. And in newspaper advertising in The New York Times for the dual engagement of “King Kong” in March, 1933, the two Rockefeller Center theatres were identified as Radio City Music Hall and Radio City New Roxy, with no mentions that either were managed by RKO.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on March 4, 2004 at 7:09 am

Who in the world today would know that it was once the RKO Radio City except for those few of us who are into this kind of thing(I personally fantasize about seeing RKO classics at the Music Hall but is this normal?)I hope that this wonderful site is used as well by the more general movie lover who remembers the single screen theater. The only reason the old Ziegfield is here is because it was once a Loew’s. Otherwise it belongs on a site called Broadway Treasures.

Orlando
Orlando on March 4, 2004 at 6:37 am

RKO opened the Radio City Music Hall and the RKO Roxy (Center), so that means that these two theatres should be listed with the RKO preceding the theatre name. Cinema Treasures should list theatres as they were named at opening with the first operater under the statistics. Subsequent operators should be listed in the theatre discription or biography. This should include the original name even if was changed within months of the opening just like the Piccadilly Theatre in Brooklyn whose name was changed some months after opening to the Avalon. N'est-pas?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 4, 2004 at 6:10 am

No one is denying that it was once Loew’s Ziegfeld, but that was during a lowpoint in its life. RKO once ran Radio City Music Hall, with its signature on the marquees and vertical signs, but do we remember it as the RKO Radio City Music Hall? I don’t think so.

Stephen Paley
Stephen Paley on March 3, 2004 at 4:04 pm

Regarding my post above: Warren is absolutely correct…The Ziegfeld should not be called “Loews
Ziegfeld” on this website. Not in the headline. The theater started as the Ziegfeld and ended its life as the Ziegfeld, hence it should be referred to as that. Period. Anything else is an “insult” and misinformation, to add “insult to injury.”