Patio Theatre

6008 West Irving Park Road,
Chicago, IL 60634

shirleym1227
shirleym1227 on June 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I am VERY excited that the Patio is going to reopen. I will be there to support the theater as much as I can afford and as long as there are movies I like. A HUGE THANK YOU making this happen!!1

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on May 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Sun-Times article about the reopening with a picture; the article indicates the reopening will be June 4: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/5550964-417/patio-theater-gets-a-second-run-at-success.html

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on May 27, 2011 at 9:51 am

According to the website, the Patio will reopen on June 3 with a screening of “Thor.”

Hope it works out OK.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 6, 2011 at 12:50 am

I am afraid we may have to wait. I understand the city is making quite a few demands one being new doors with push bar openers due to the E2 night club diaster in Chicago a few years back. There is also many other problems. I hope they can overcome these. It would be a shame if after all the renovations they are not allowed to open and let us see the beauty again. I am amazed how the city and cook county for that matter has the highest taxes in the country. One only has to pass any gas station in the city to see the high price compared to lake or dupage county. I cannot understand how the residents allow this year after year…..and then there is the conditions of the pavements of the streets.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on May 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Bobby S.

Unfortunately yes the city tax is to blame. It’s pretty high. The Three Penny Cinema closed because the owner was unable to pay the high city/county amusement taxes.

I’m wondering when this place will re-open.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 2, 2011 at 12:07 am

What is holding up the re-opening of this beautiful gem? I am eager to pay my admission at the box office. I recently paid a visit to the Music Box on a matinee during the week and was surprised to pay $8.25 senior. I thought that was high. The ticket agent said the city tax is to blame. Is that true?

patiotheater
patiotheater on February 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm

The Patio has the inconvenience of no dedicated parking, where the Pickwick does. That is one of the major issues the Patio Theater faces.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Demetri, I wonder how the Pickwick theater does it in Park Ridge. They show first-run and have a pretty good attendance. I pay $5 because I am a senior citizen, but I see plenty of younger people there when the new film opens. I think the community would pay it. After all, the muli-plexes charge almost $10 and they could never give you the experience of your beautiful theater! But of course, I am prejudice. I think the Patio is a national treasure!

patiotheater
patiotheater on February 6, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Hmmm, we never planned on showing first run films because we would be forced to charge a $7.50 admission fee. Back when the theater was open from 1987-2001 we had $2 and $3 admission prices. To re-open with a $7.50 admission charge for 1st run films might be to big of a leap for the community. That is…unless we have a lot of support and backup from the community for a $7.50 admission price for first run films?

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm

A first-run film in a beautiful theater with a great screen and a pipe organ before the feature! Sounds like 1950’s Chicago! I am sure this will be a big hit not just for the neighborhood but for all of Chicago! The best of luck, and I and my friends will be regular patrons. Looking forward..

Patiomike
Patiomike on February 6, 2011 at 10:58 am

The plan is to show first run movies. Owners are currently negotiating with the studios and assessing the status of the projection and sound systems.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 6, 2011 at 12:45 am

Great photos jwballer. The marquee needs freshning up. Looking forward to attending this theater. Will they be showing first-run, 2nd-run or classic cinema?

0123456789
0123456789 on February 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm

i also have more great news its going to open in March 2011!

jwballer
jwballer on November 5, 2010 at 7:04 pm

GREAT NEWS! In the picture below of the auditorium, you can see the organ if you look to the right.http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=171436652882821&set=a.171436626216157.46550.129959440363876#!/photo.php?fbid=171436819549471&set=a.171436626216157.46550.129959440363876&pid=555910&id=129959440363876

Senorsock
Senorsock on October 1, 2010 at 12:48 am

Great news! The Patio is on the “MUST SEE” list when I get back in town!

Patiomike
Patiomike on September 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Alex, Demitri and the crew have made tremendous progress. I stopped in about a month ago and was amazed. The theater looks better than it did when I was in the booth. They plan to open after Christmas. Watch the web site and Facebook for more.

musicformovies
musicformovies on September 30, 2010 at 6:52 pm

As a person who grew up in Lombard, and after losing our historic 1928 atmospheric theatre – built by the same architect as yours – I can only wish you the best during your renovation and may the Patio – the spiritual sister to the DuPage Theatre – have many, many more glorious years ahead of her, and bring much fun and joy to all who visit her.

jwballer
jwballer on August 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Status should be closed/renovating
website is patiotheater.net

JStitches
JStitches on June 29, 2010 at 9:23 pm

We just moved into the neighborhood and we were hoping this would happen! We had no idea it would be this fast! We must be good luck. Well I’m a teacher and have the summer off, so I’d be happy to help with the renovations…

WHALER66
WHALER66 on June 20, 2010 at 3:00 am

Good luck with the renovations, it’ll be good to see one of those
old movie houses rise again.

patiotheater
patiotheater on June 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Everyone is welcomed to check out the Patio’s new site at www.patiotheater.net

We are hard at work at starting the renovation process but it is only myself and 2 other people right now who are helping fix the place up. If any of you know any foundations either nationally, state or local that can help with the renovation process by either funding the money needed or with an actual workforce it would greatly be appreciated.

If you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to email

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on June 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Good luck with the Patio Theatre. It would be wonderful to see this theatre open again for both film and stage.brucec

VictoriaW
VictoriaW on June 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm

A grand idea would be to rent out the St. Pascal School/Church parking lot. Either the parking lot in the back of the school, or the parking lot shared with the Quality car repair shop across the street from the school. They’re just down the block, and it would give The Patio alot of parking, well needed for the grand re-opening!

patiotheater
patiotheater on June 6, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Demetri Kouvalis, the son of Alexander Kouvalis, owner of the Patio Theater. I cannot believe the love and support from reading all of your comments on this site. Well I have some good news for all of you. I plan on reopening the Theater and continuing its legacy for generations to come. However, I will need the help of the loving community in order for this to happen. The Patio needs to be renovated. I have started painting the marquee with my father a few days ago, and once that is complete we will be moving inside. I would love to set up a way for the community to get involved to see the Patio open in the near future.

if you are interested in helping out with the reopening of the Patio Theater please email me at

Let this majestic building bring back the wonderful memories and instill new memories to the community as well!

P.S. I am working on an official Patio Theater website, and you can follow the progress of the renovation on twitter if you visit https://twitter.com/PatioTheater

The largest issue the that the Patio faces is a broken A/C. If anyone knows anyone who can repair vintage water-cooled chillers about 50 years old, that would be an immense help!!