AMC Loews Norridge 10

4520 N. Harlem Avenue,
Norridge, IL 60706

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 30, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I still hope Costco will go elsewere. This theater has too much history to just vanish in the wind.

I mean, look at how many classic films played here in it’s almost 39 year history. “Halloween”, “Alien” etc…

nightshadezero
nightshadezero on January 30, 2009 at 9:45 am

I think costco still has the space, but for whatever reason decided to hold off on buildong for another year. But this time, when they do decide to close, we will be given 3 months notice. That way, we won’t have to worry about wether we need to order more items or find new jobs. But we still don’t know if we’re closing after our year is up. Because of that, the higher-ups won’t find it worth their while to renovate. If that keeps people from returning to our theatre then they can to to the movico in rosemont. Much nicer there for the same cost. As for ‘how’s business’, the only times we’re really busy nowadays is for kids movies and those stupid PG-13 horror movies that teens go see thinking they’re getting into a rated R movie (i.e. the unborn).

aek316
aek316 on January 30, 2009 at 7:21 am

Thanks for the good news nightshadezero! Based on what you said about your job, they must’ve just told you! I remember at this time last year I asked the manager if they were closing, and he said it depended on Costco building on the site. If they said no, the theater would remain open. Apparently, Costco has passed on the space. I’m so glad! Nightshadezero, how’s business? Do you know if the property is still for sale? The theater still looks fairly busy when I drive by it at night. I really think with some proper renovations, this theater could thrive for a long time. Good location, big screening rooms. It’s good to see history prevail over blah big box retail for once (at least for now)! Thanks for the update nightshadezero, and good luck with your new job!

nightshadezero
nightshadezero on January 29, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I currently work at AMC norridge and I can tell you that it is staying open for at least another year! It’s too bad they took so long to tell us that since i’ve already found another job!

aek316
aek316 on January 29, 2009 at 11:22 pm

There may be a ray of hope for the Norridge! I just read online that Costco WILL NOT be building on the Maurice Lenell lot or the surrounding property. Maybe the theater will have a stay of execution? If so, one word for AMC: Renovate!

Broan
Broan on December 28, 2008 at 1:56 pm

The Maurice Lenell outlet has closed…

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on November 26, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Does anyone know the seating capacity for each of the ten screens?

aek316
aek316 on October 30, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I am finally commenting on my displeasure with the decision to close this theater. the Norridge in my eyes was (and to me still is) a northwest side institution. 40+ years in business for a movie theater is no small feat, especially in this day in age when movie theaters typically don’t make it to 20 years old anymore before they’re replaced with newer, bigger cinemas. As posted by many above, Norridge has been a survivor for years, and I think still has the potential to be one. Sadly, we’ll never know as yet another non descript big box store will soon take it’s place-

I see the logic of replacing the Norridge, even if I don’t agree with it. The theater is deteriorating inside and out. My fiance refuses to go to a movie there because of how dated and dirty it is on the inside. This obviously has had an effect on business. But the plain truth is IT DIDN’T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY! AMC with their inactivity and poor management, has let this once beautiful multiplex turn into a deteriorating relic. As Paul posted above, Kerasotes took a dated Webster Place theater and totally redid it and by all accounts, the place is jumping again. Why couldn’t AMC do this to the Norridge?! With it’s big screens, it has an experience to offer moviegoers that few of today’s multiplexes can provide!

I remember seeing Batman here in 1989. It was a matinee, but the place was packed and we got to sit in one of the big theaters with the reclining chairs. At that time 10 screens at a theater was unheard of in our area. Over the years, I have seen many a blockbuster at the Norridge and have had many great experiences. As the years progressed though, things began to look dated and almost like a time warp. The last 2 times I was there, even I had to partially agree with my fiance that they weren’t keeping things up well.

I have seen this theater through the years packed with people for the right feature, but over the years attendance has seemed to dwindle because AMC has allowed it to become an eyesore. The front and outside looks dated, the marquee looks as if it’s falling apart (and only half of it is even used anymore they strangely covered the bottom half with an ugly white board a year ago), the insides of the theaters look EXACTLY as they did when I was a kid. Why?! Doesn’t the AMC chain realize no one will come to your theater if the buzz is bad?

It’s is truly a shame a landmark theater like this has to close simply because management was too lazy to keep it clean and updated with the times. Other AMC theaters in my area like the Old Orchards and even Streets of Woodfield (though that has held up better) also look very dated when compared to some of my new favorites like Kersotes Glen 10 or Golf Mill Showplace or the Movieco in Rosemont. For their refusal to change with the times and keep once flourishing cinemas like Norridge thriving and in business, I hope Kerasotes, Movieco and all other chains draw in the customers and the customers neglect the AMC chain like AMC has neglected it’s once proud theaters! Here’s hoping the zoning does not get passed to build Cost Co, and a chain that actually cares takes this theater over! ‘Nuff said!

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on August 21, 2008 at 7:32 pm

The closing time of the year is here. Will AMC close the Norridge? Piper’s Alley? Chicago Ridge? shudders at that thought Or will Pillage Theatres close the Lincoln Village? North Riverside? Will they cease to exist altogether? As with August/September of ‘03, '04, '05, and '06, we will find out soon.

I unfortunately, won’t be able to make the trek out to Norridge. If anybody has the chance to get here one last time, please do so, and take lots of photos.

lynnhomeier
lynnhomeier on June 9, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I have been there throughout the years and it is still a good place to see a movie. I have heard the Costco rumor for the past 2 years now. I was online trying to find out if there is a closing date. I used to work there during the early/mid 80’s. It was great working there, even if it was a teen soap opera at times! I’m going to be so sad when it closes. I have many great memories there.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on March 27, 2008 at 3:08 pm

What a shame. I bet that if Keresotas took over this place, they would do well with it like they did with the Webster Place. The Norridge can still draw large crowds from what I understand.

I haven’t been here since the late 1980s. What’s this place like? How is the movie-going experience here?

Broan
Broan on March 11, 2008 at 6:08 pm

The Norridge’s days are numbered; currently it’s pegged at a year. Chicago Sun-Times

jimpiscitelli
jimpiscitelli on October 24, 2007 at 7:59 am

I agree with Catherine that the Muvico in Rosemont would be the oe that robbed the Norridge Theatre of the attendence. I used to go to the Norridge where certain movies were not booked at the Cinemark Melrose Park. I still attend the Cinemark and if certain movies are not booked there, I go to the Kerasotes Showplace 12 at Golf Mill in Niles. (Who knows if the Showplace 12 at Golf Mill is also responsible for robbing the Norridge Theatre’s business).

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on October 19, 2007 at 8:10 am

LTS,

You are probably right because the Melrose Park is actually quite a distance from the Norridge. If anything, the Muvico in Rosemont would be the one that robs this theatre of attendance.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 15, 2007 at 12:18 pm

I don’t buy that Melrose Park stuff. Every time I go by this place on a Friday night there is a good crowd, and Melrose Park has been open for years now. I think Melrose Park is a convenient story. In reality it probably comes down to a bunch of money changing hands. But such is life.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on October 15, 2007 at 8:15 am

There may be even fewer traces of M&R soon. I was at a party Saturday Night and a man who is a Norridge police officer said that plans are definitely afoot to replace the Norridge with a Costco. He said that the Cinemark in Melrose Park took away a lot of business.

He did mention, however, that there may be plans to build a new theatre in the area of the Harlem-Irving Plaza (HIP).

The white (or is it grey) trim certainly looks austere! Like when the CTA simply whitewashes its older stations! I miss the green trim that used to be on the building. It provided some contrast.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on October 7, 2007 at 5:46 pm

I would love to see photos of the large screens here.

Scott Neff
Scott Neff on October 7, 2007 at 4:40 pm

We must get in there to take photos of every last detail. Those sloped roofed houses always make me giddy.

Broan
Broan on October 7, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Recent photos of this theatre are HERE

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on September 25, 2007 at 6:55 am

I certainly don’t want to spread rumors, but I heard that Costco is looking at building a big box store on this site. Just what Norridge, IL needs! But I believe that the Norridge Theatre still draws good crowds. The place should be renovated ala what is being done with the Webster Place—another former M&R Theatre.

dankapel
dankapel on September 5, 2007 at 4:52 pm

CHI74 are you talking about the Mercury which would have been on North Avenue just west of Harlem. It was multi-screen at the end. The only other one which comes to mind is the MontClair which was on Grand one block east of Harlem and that was a single screen till the end, but I’m sure closed through the entire 1990’s.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on August 5, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Question :

Does any on recall any other theatres along Harlem Ave.
In Norridge i rember going to see “MI VIDA LOCA” back in the 90`s with some friends and the only place showing theis flim was a small place on North Harlem Ave. it was small only one screen the best example i can give would be the LaGrange Theatre in LaGrange Illinois. I was in Norrige a few days ago and i could not find the theatre i think it was before the intersection of North Harlem And Irvin Park Road .

I also recall that once you bought the pop and popcorn (i just love this this part) FREE REFILLS!!!!

Thank You for you time .
I hope some one can help with this . :)

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on July 26, 2007 at 7:54 am

An interesting article on the family that owned this theater (and the rest of the M&R chain) appears here View link

The article states that the family owned the building since the 1920s. That can’t be correct.

aek316
aek316 on June 12, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Has anyone heard anything about whether this theater is closing or not? I drove by it the other day and saw half the marquee was ripped down. Could be a bad sign. I hope it doesn’t close, it’s one of the few remaining places I went to as a kid.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on June 9, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Does anyone know what screen here is the largest?