Bay Shore Theatre

200 West Main Street,
Bay Shore, NY 11706

sasheegm
sasheegm on April 23, 2005 at 8:56 am

My Wife and i frequented many of the theaters in Nassau & Suffolk Counties in the 1960s……and on one of our dates, before we were married we saw “Warlock” with Henry Fonda & Richard Widmark there…….We would make a day of it going to the movies and eating out……..Joe From Florida—-sasheegm

BobT
BobT on March 8, 2005 at 6:54 pm

One of the greats. The balcony was wonderful but it was an old house and if too many people came down the stairs at the same time, the balcony would actualy shake. That made “Battlestar Gallatica” and “Rollercoater” in Senssuround even more fun. In the 70’s it was on the Universal track and I saw “The Sting” and “American Graffitti” there. Can’t remember how long we stood in line for all the sold out showings of “Jaws” I saw there, but it was fun considering it was around the area the story took place. You knew the show was about to start when the tuxedoed usher came down along the wall to the front left of the house and went behind a curtain to dim the house lights. That’s when the cheering would start.

vinceiuliano
vinceiuliano on November 19, 2004 at 6:59 am

Saw Woody Allen’s (miserable) Interiors at this theater.
Also one night arrived to see a new film called Animal House (1978).
As I pulled into the parking lot behind the theater some guys who evidently knew me called my name. My solo moviegoing adventure shattered , I had to wait while they relieved themselves against the concrete wall behind the theater.
Inside the theater I was able to lose them in the crowd and enjoy the movie without my own personal Delta fraternity destroying it with their drunkenness.

RobertR
RobertR on October 24, 2004 at 12:51 am

I see an old ad for a theatre in Bayshore called The Encore. Any one know anything about this place?

R143
R143 on October 15, 2004 at 11:30 am

You are correct, Bay Shore is incorrect on this listing and the Bay Shore Drive In Theater, both are listed as Bayshore.

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 12:51 pm

The Bay Shore Theatre, in addition to having Bay Shore as two words instead of one should have “Ward & Glynne” as the secondary theater name, as that’s what it opened with. In addition, if just like the Patchogue Theatre Ward & Glynne was what was accross the Marquee originally as built.

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 12:37 pm

Okay, I figured it out. The Bolton Center is the Regent Theater. I will add it as the Bolton Center because that is the name on the marquee when I passen the other day.

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 12:15 pm

I don’t think the Regent is on this site. I tried both Bay Shore and Bayshore. What is the Regent called now? I am confused with the two Bay Shore theaters on Main St. Is this theater or the Regent the “Bolton Center” now?
Which one is the gym, and which one is still a theatere?

RobertR
RobertR on October 14, 2004 at 11:23 am

The Regent is an open theatre? I cant find it listed on Moviephone?

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 9:20 am

This should be listed as the “Bay Shore”, not “Bayshore”. I couldn’t find the theater so almost re-added it because it doesn’t come up under “Bay Shore” (I got the “Ooops message”) when I searched for it on the site.
Bay Shore is two words.
The entry should be changed to Bay Shore, along with the town entry.

Orlando
Orlando on March 3, 2004 at 4:30 pm

The audiences of the Bayshore and Patchogue were not solely from the Bayshore and Patchogue areas. In the 1920’s, both were first run exclusive presentation theatres with vaudeville and orchestras. The Bayshore had a stagehouse where the Patchogue had backstage dressing rooms. The population of nearby Brightwaters were famous stars amongst others. They both had the stage and photoplay presentations that were popular in the five Wonder Theatres in New York City. The programs changed weekly. On the north shore, Century’s Huntington held this honor. I don’t believe these theatres had organs except for the Huntington, but I may be wrong.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 3, 2004 at 4:04 pm

The Film Daily Year Book for 1935 claims 2,000 seats and also says that the population of Bayshore at that time was 4,080. The theatre must have been a big loser because the surrounding area was even less populated. The Regent, listed with 800 seats, was closed at the time, but this was during the worst depths of the Depression.

Orlando
Orlando on March 3, 2004 at 3:33 pm

The Bayshore was more than 1,500 but less than 2,000. When I find my ALmi-Century directory listing the circuit’s movie houses I will post the exact seating capacity. The Patchogue seated about 1,300.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 3, 2004 at 2:24 pm

Ward & Glynne also built the Astoria Theatre in Queens, with Thomas W. Lamb as architect. Who was the archtitect of the Bayshore? Its seating capacity has been variously reported in the range of 1,500 to 2,000.

Orlando
Orlando on March 2, 2004 at 8:23 pm

Yes, the Bolton’s recently modernized the Regent with 290 seats in the stadium style. In hindsight, the Regent should have been the YMCA and the Bayshore should have been saved. But then, Bayshore closed in 1982 and the Regent was thriving as a X-rated house until 1990. Bayshore 1925-1982. Regent 1914-1990. The Regent has just recieved a new ultra sleek marquee and grand opened last month. The Bayshore opened as a Ward & Glynne theatre along with the Patchogue Theatre. Ward & Glynne also ran the Alhambra and Century Theatres in Brooklyn at that time. After the Crash of ‘29, Prudential Theatres
took over the twi L.I. houses. In 1968, United Artists and finally ALMI in 1980 and briefly until it closed Almi-Century and RKO-Century in quick succession. The manager of this theatre had a husband who worked the Bayshore Sunrise Drive-In and a daughter who worked the Lindenhurst Theatre for a while. She also fought to get the building landmarked but was thwarted by United Artists who did not want to. After staying empty for several years, the Bolton’s plan for the Bayshore was to turn it into a YMCA. The theatre was totally gutted and only the ornate indoor box-office was saved to be used at a later date. The orchestra is now a basketball court and an extension to the south side of the building in a small part of the vast parking lot is an indoor pool. It is a nice spic and span facility. The theatre exterior walls, roof and enormous stagehouse are still evident.

philipgoldberg