Bay Shore Theatre

200 West Main Street,
Bay Shore, NY 11706

RobertR
RobertR on October 23, 2004 at 10:51 pm

I see an old ad for a theatre in Bayshore called The Encore. Any one know anything about this place?

R143
R143 on October 15, 2004 at 9:30 am

You are correct, Bay Shore is incorrect on this listing and the Bay Shore Drive In Theater, both are listed as Bayshore.

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 10:51 am

The Bay Shore Theatre, in addition to having Bay Shore as two words instead of one should have “Ward & Glynne” as the secondary theater name, as that’s what it opened with. In addition, if just like the Patchogue Theatre Ward & Glynne was what was accross the Marquee originally as built.

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 10:37 am

Okay, I figured it out. The Bolton Center is the Regent Theater. I will add it as the Bolton Center because that is the name on the marquee when I passen the other day.

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 10:15 am

I don’t think the Regent is on this site. I tried both Bay Shore and Bayshore. What is the Regent called now? I am confused with the two Bay Shore theaters on Main St. Is this theater or the Regent the “Bolton Center” now?
Which one is the gym, and which one is still a theatere?

RobertR
RobertR on October 14, 2004 at 9:23 am

The Regent is an open theatre? I cant find it listed on Moviephone?

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2004 at 7:20 am

This should be listed as the “Bay Shore”, not “Bayshore”. I couldn’t find the theater so almost re-added it because it doesn’t come up under “Bay Shore” (I got the “Ooops message”) when I searched for it on the site.
Bay Shore is two words.
The entry should be changed to Bay Shore, along with the town entry.

Orlando
Orlando on March 3, 2004 at 2:30 pm

The audiences of the Bayshore and Patchogue were not solely from the Bayshore and Patchogue areas. In the 1920’s, both were first run exclusive presentation theatres with vaudeville and orchestras. The Bayshore had a stagehouse where the Patchogue had backstage dressing rooms. The population of nearby Brightwaters were famous stars amongst others. They both had the stage and photoplay presentations that were popular in the five Wonder Theatres in New York City. The programs changed weekly. On the north shore, Century’s Huntington held this honor. I don’t believe these theatres had organs except for the Huntington, but I may be wrong.

Orlando
Orlando on March 3, 2004 at 1:33 pm

The Bayshore was more than 1,500 but less than 2,000. When I find my ALmi-Century directory listing the circuit’s movie houses I will post the exact seating capacity. The Patchogue seated about 1,300.

Orlando
Orlando on March 2, 2004 at 6:23 pm

Yes, the Bolton’s recently modernized the Regent with 290 seats in the stadium style. In hindsight, the Regent should have been the YMCA and the Bayshore should have been saved. But then, Bayshore closed in 1982 and the Regent was thriving as a X-rated house until 1990. Bayshore 1925-1982. Regent 1914-1990. The Regent has just recieved a new ultra sleek marquee and grand opened last month. The Bayshore opened as a Ward & Glynne theatre along with the Patchogue Theatre. Ward & Glynne also ran the Alhambra and Century Theatres in Brooklyn at that time. After the Crash of ‘29, Prudential Theatres
took over the twi L.I. houses. In 1968, United Artists and finally ALMI in 1980 and briefly until it closed Almi-Century and RKO-Century in quick succession. The manager of this theatre had a husband who worked the Bayshore Sunrise Drive-In and a daughter who worked the Lindenhurst Theatre for a while. She also fought to get the building landmarked but was thwarted by United Artists who did not want to. After staying empty for several years, the Bolton’s plan for the Bayshore was to turn it into a YMCA. The theatre was totally gutted and only the ornate indoor box-office was saved to be used at a later date. The orchestra is now a basketball court and an extension to the south side of the building in a small part of the vast parking lot is an indoor pool. It is a nice spic and span facility. The theatre exterior walls, roof and enormous stagehouse are still evident.

philipgoldberg