RKO Keith's Theatre

135-35 Northern Boulevard,
Flushing, NY 11354

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,234 comments

JamesD
JamesD on July 11, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Not to mention Flushing already has a performing arts center. Two if you count the Kupferberg Center for the Arts.

It would be nice to see it restored, but I feel like the majority of the people behind the “Save the Keiths” group no longer live in the area, and are trying to get it rebuilt out of nostalgia, not what would be in the best interest of the current residents of Flushing. I really doubt the current residents even know or care about the theater.

robboehm
robboehm on July 11, 2014 at 5:35 pm

What then is right. Flushing is not an appropriate location for a performing arts center. Ethnicity of the area wouldn’t support it in any fashion.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I think it could be restored. Some really devastated buildings have been made beautiful again. The restoration would also pump a lot of money into the economy through the contractors. The question is what then?

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on July 11, 2014 at 10:02 am

Not exactly. This is part of the area under the conservatorship of the current owner/developer. It is not part of the auditorium which still has far more intact artwork. From this and other examples of the foyer and lobby the much advertised developer “preservation” effort looks more like an effort to write off the landmark in favor of condos.

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on July 9, 2014 at 11:29 am

Pictures do not lie and this just proves my point.

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on July 9, 2014 at 9:22 am

The famed ticket booth when it was landmarked in 1984 (inset) and as it appears today:

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on July 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I was involved originally in the effort to landmark it. I love old theaters and the Keith’s in general. Facts have to be faced. It will never reopen and there is to much damage. Better the lobby be preserved and restored and let the past go and let the old lady have a decent burial. She deserves better than dying a slow death . It is bringing Flushing down in its current condition and it will only get worse. I was one of the parties working on getting Landmark designation so this is not easy for me.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I thought Loew’s got rid of the King’s in the 70’s. Magic Johnson Cinema multiplexes was an arm of the Loews chain to be built in the black urban areas. Was this the same Loews company or a different one with the Loews name? The Keiths keeps staying “alive” doesn’t it? I hate to see it give in to a condo plan.

gd14lawn
gd14lawn on May 29, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Did the plans change or is this article just poorly written? From: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/04/15/landmarked_flushing_theater_will_now_be_condos_not_rentals.php#more

A new owner means new plans for Flushing’s landmarked RKO Keith’s Theater. Plans to redevelopment the 85-year-old site by constructing a new residential building atop it have been in the works for more than seven years, and in December, JK Equities bought the site for $30 million. The original plan called for the 350 new units to be rentals, but Crain’s reports that JK Equities will be making them condos. The new 17-story structure will rise above the historic theater, which will be incorporated into the building as the lobby. The development will have 23,000 square feet of retail as well as 385 parking spaces. During construction, a “protective shell” will be built over the 1928 structure to protect it, but permits are not yet in place, so work will not begin until next year.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 14, 2014 at 6:32 am

I was just reading about how Tommy Huang got smacked in the chops last year:

I was amazed that they decided to restore the Loews Kings. If that can come back after huge decay and almost becoming a Magic Johnson Cinema multiplex maybe the RKO has another round left in it.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm

So Patrick Thompson did nothing and made $10 million on the property. Maybe JK Equities can also do nothing and make $20 million?

BobbyS
BobbyS on December 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for the update guys…I wonder if it will get off the ground this time. The “old gal” won’t give up"..

LuisV
LuisV on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

The saga continues. The site has been sold yet again to a developer who plans to build the approved plan which requires the preservation and restoration of the lobby but nothing else. http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/12/19/flushing_theater_has_new_owner_may_finally_be_developed.php

markp
markp on November 21, 2013 at 5:45 am

I too also love the pictures (although they make me sick) of the the theatre. With that said, does anyone have photos of this partially destroyed staircase that’s mentioned in the article or the above post?

jarva
jarva on November 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm

i went there today just recently and its in alot worse shape that it is from that picture it was vast full of graffiti and with alot rooms but the stairs and such are starting to give away but i was able to walk or climb fine. it was a nice and it was also dangrous manly because of the damage done to the structure. so it was a little bit scary.

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 15, 2013 at 8:32 am

How do these people stay out of jail? Imagine taking on the Keith’s and the Keith’s wins.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 14, 2013 at 8:44 am

SWC, I’m thankful that you’ve photographed surviving portions of the Keith’s interior, and that you’ve been kind enough to share them here. Please don’t withdraw any posts or photos based solely on the petty criticisms of others.

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 13, 2013 at 9:04 pm

You would think so. The Indian culture is very ornate as well as the Chinese. They both show films in major cities, but I think the size of the RKO was against even their budgets. A cultural center is another matter. It is tailor made for that and should have been persuade.

Paul Noble
Paul Noble on November 13, 2013 at 9:13 am

Have any Chinese or Indian movie chains or producers ever considered turning the Keith’s into a cultural center for the massive Asian communities of the Flushing area?

Shaw
Shaw on November 13, 2013 at 7:54 am

First of all its screed, not skreed. CinemaTreasures even has spell check. And holes that were hammered through? They must have had a backhoe on the roof then. You could fit a 747 through some of those.

yanksali
yanksali on November 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I went to the RKO Keith’s in Flushing virtually every Saturday as a kid in the 1950s to see sci fi movies. Fantastic place, and memories. Does anyone know how someone got to the offices on the second story? Some photos show law offices on the second story. Was there a separate door? I do not see any doorways on the outside of the building to permit someone to get to the second story. If anyone has a recollection of how access to the second floor offices was obtained, please share it.

Shaw
Shaw on November 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Amazing survival my ass. The place is falling apart and has giant holes in the ceiling. Your pictures are pretty good though….if you were 5 years old.

paktype
paktype on August 21, 2013 at 11:23 am

I think I saw a movie here very close to the closing date, but I can’t remember the name.