Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on March 14, 2010 at 6:25 am

I actually had tickets, to what was to be opening night on Friday. According to the guy at the box office, there was some kind of dispute between the performance group and the promoter (maybe money-related.) I had no problems getting a full refund.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on March 14, 2010 at 4:50 am

Hope this does not prove to be too big of a set back for this wonderful theater.

Being a Brooklyn boy, I only made it to the Paradise on one occasion. It was during the mid-1970’s, when I was dating a women from Inwood and Fordham Road was still a lively place on a Saturday night. By that time, the Paradise had already been divided, and would probably close soon thereafter. While I do not at all remember the movie that we saw, I was definitely dazzled by the sheer opulence of the place, even in its less than pristine state. Since the film we saw was being screened in the theater situated in the balcony, we also had a birds eye view of the beautiful ceiling.

So I hope the Paradise will soon rebound from this setback, and I hope to make it back some day.

stang119
stang119 on March 14, 2010 at 2:27 am

Does anyone know why the show was cancelled?

beardbear31
beardbear31 on March 13, 2010 at 9:49 pm

and it looks like it won’t :(

markp
markp on November 9, 2009 at 5:15 pm

This is great news LuisV. I do hope the Kings is next. Now if only a management company or some group would buy the Ritz Theatre in Elizabeth N.J. (for sale $3.8 million), then another treasure could start doing shows, concerts, classic films etc.

LuisV
LuisV on November 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm

This theater seems to be finally up and running again. Today, NY1 did a live shot from the theater to celebrate its return to to regularly scheduled events under new management. Apparently, they have many events lined up from latin Concerts, Gospel choirs and Stephanie Mills among others. They panned the camera through the theater to show how beautiful the renovation is.

It looks like its finally in good hands, or at least better ones. Let’s hope that it is a great success. Next theater up? Loew’s Kings!

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 6, 2009 at 5:41 am

Thanks for the info,Unkystan

stang119
stang119 on November 5, 2009 at 5:19 pm

While The Paradise never had a traditional 3-D marquee, it was built with not one, but two flat against the wall signage marquees. These must have been very difficult to maneuver because in the 1960’s the upper sign was bricked up and the lower one was replaced with a hugh while electric sign which lit up the whole area. You can see both versions in the links to the theatre. As I said, currently there is nothing at all which contributes to the darkness. Also there were originally sun beam lights (gorgeous) but in lieu of replacing these lights ugly yellow rays were painted. Again no illumination. .

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 5, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Unkystan If I am not wrong the Loews Paradise never had a marquee as such. Something to do with the city codes there, I read this on their site somewhere,maybe they still can,t.All the other LOEWS WONDERS had marquess and Verticals.

stang119
stang119 on November 5, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I drove by the night of the concert last week. Big crowd getting ready to go in. But there wasn’t much lighting on the front of the theatre. Half of the theatre name lettering was out and they haven’t got a marquee of any kind, just a long hanging poster. They really need to do a facelift on the front.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 5, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Good to see it is restored and back open.Hope to see it someday. Now if they would just do something to the LOEWS KINGS.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on October 29, 2009 at 6:46 pm

October 29 article about the Paradise:

Ziggy
Ziggy on October 26, 2009 at 10:03 am

Okay, I will enkoy iy vetty mulch! ;–)

stang119
stang119 on October 22, 2009 at 4:51 am

I went to the website yesterday (10-21) and it was fine. Today. I get that server problem. Probably just a computer glitch.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on October 22, 2009 at 4:10 am

Here’s the server’s response:

“Bandwidth Limit Exceeded.
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.”

Too many CT'ers checking it out. :)

William
William on October 22, 2009 at 3:46 am

It worked yesterday, when I looked.

Roger Katz
Roger Katz on October 22, 2009 at 12:59 am

That website does not work.

Raiders77
Raiders77 on September 26, 2009 at 5:35 am

Do not buy tickets to any event at the Paradise Theater!!! I purchased tickets for a show a year ago at the box office and when the concert was cancelled they did not reimburse me. They just tell you that “someone will call you back” and they never do. Many promoters have had money stolen from them from the corrupt managers of the theater. If the upcoming concerts are cancelled good luck getting your money back from the box office. Please do not support these crooks by attending the upcoming concets.

jflundy
jflundy on September 23, 2009 at 8:32 am

Those in the NY Area may find this link of interest.
A chance to support the Paradise by going to these events:
•October 10, 2009
Bachata Fest 2009: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month08:00 PM
•October 24, 2009
Soul Summer Presents: Charlie Wilson & Friends Live08:00 PM

These events at the Paradise are an excellent opportunity to take in a couple of shows and see the theater as a live venue.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on September 22, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I think Saturday would probably be best if you want to talk to the ticket agent. There is a big banner on the facade for a show on October 24th. The ticket agent also informed me of an event on October 10th as well.

stang119
stang119 on September 22, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I think I will drop by. And, hey, no offense taken.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on September 22, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I apologize for the terse comment, Unkystan. I didn’t mean to come off that way. If you stop by the theatre during the day, you can chat with the ticket agent about some of the upcoming shows.

stang119
stang119 on September 22, 2009 at 8:46 pm

I was there about three weeks ago and nothing was going on. I hope you are right. I’ll check again this weekend. And my eyesight is just fine. Thanks for caring.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on September 22, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Unkystan, I don’t know when you last drove by the theatre, but I was there today, and have walked by several times in the past week. In fact, I had a brief conversation with the fellow manning the ticket booth. If the theatre doesn’t appear open to you, I suggest you get a new pair of glasses.

stang119
stang119 on September 22, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Sorry, But the above website provided by Rabbit is not for the Loew’s Paradise, but a cabaret theatre in Florida.
I live near the Paradise and drive by often and it’s just sitting there waiting to be vandalized. I grew up going to that theare in the ‘50s, '60s & 70s and after all the work put in to restore it, to see it not being used is heartbreaking. Does ANYONE know anything about what’s really going on there?