Century's 110-Drive-In

288 Broadhollow Road,
Melville, NY 11747

Bloop
Bloop on June 7, 2007 at 9:14 am

http://snackbar-confidential.blogspot.com/ I just posted pictures of the flea market from a July 1972 issue of Newsday color magazine section. You can barely see the snack bar in one shot. Please lets all work together and get some full clear pictures of the Route 110 Drive In !

Bloop
Bloop on June 3, 2007 at 9:08 am

Addendum to above: I believe the 110 Drive-In flea market was gone by 1974, but the Sunrise Drive-In continued on with this. Century’s 110 also has something other drive-ins did NOT have: working (electric) kiddie rides! (Albeit cheap and dinky). They had a mini train, a small carousel, and I remember a tiny “chair-o-plane”. These rides would not thrill a child over the age of 7, but still, very impressive and gave this drive in a great “carnival” atmosphere! So there we have it. The late great Route 110 Drive-In; with not a single photo as evidence that it existed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloop
Bloop on June 3, 2007 at 8:59 am

One of the best things about this Drive In was around 1971/1972/1973, on Sunday mornings, it was a Flea Market. $9.00 per car/truck/van to set up and sell. $1.00 to get in to buy. This was a pretty big drive in, so imagine about 300 cars/trucks/vans, filling the place—packed with vintage stuff! If you liked flea markets, this was heaven-on-earth. It was liked the biggest garage sale in the world! Many people had the old station wagons, with the tailgates down—selling old stuff out of their cars. (I will be posting photos soon, I have a Newsday color Magazine section with an article on this —SADLY, no pix of the drive in, just the vendors). I believe the Route 110 Drive In sign was up until about 1979(?)(when I was in high school).

TimW
TimW on November 19, 2006 at 3:12 pm

The Drive In Moives in Smithtown is on Middle Country Rd, in Nesconset right where the houses are now, It closed before or after Glora in Oct. of 1985 thats when Glora hit Long Island in Sept 27 of 1985. In the mid 1990’s is when the building was still standing in that time is when they started to build the houses there.
The Rocky Point Drive In is were the Golf course place is now.

rori
rori on September 26, 2006 at 8:19 pm

still looking for a photo of the marquee of this theater. Has anyone seen one?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 26, 2006 at 7:52 pm

lol…see what happens when i try to be a wise ass….lol

Bway
Bway on September 26, 2006 at 7:49 pm

But Bob was talking about the UA Quartet….

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 26, 2006 at 7:14 pm

bway ….this was a drive -in no seats……lol…

RobertR
RobertR on September 26, 2006 at 4:56 pm

December 1971 Gone With the Wind at the 110

Bway
Bway on June 8, 2006 at 5:46 am

Haha, Bob, it’s hard to imagine a theater going from an X movie one week to a G the next! I hope they cleaned the seats in between, haha.

BobT
BobT on August 28, 2005 at 7:43 am

Wow a Newday ad! longislandmovies, you’re right about Century never played much Paramount pics but the 110 Drive-In was the exception. They were on the Paramount track and I remember when they played “Ash Wednesday”,“The Parallax View” and a bunch of others. Also look at the Century ad, I don’t know why but they never put the ratings in their ads. Talk about a bygone times. Look at the UA Quartet ad. All in one week they were playing a G rated movie as well as an PG, R and two X’s!

RobertR
RobertR on August 28, 2005 at 6:46 am

The 110 played “Gone With the Wind” on it’s 1973 run.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 3, 2005 at 5:17 pm

god 85 % of those theaters are gone that are in the ad

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 3, 2005 at 5:14 pm

Back then Century never played much Paramount pics.

RobertR
RobertR on August 3, 2005 at 3:52 pm

Odd that on it’s first major showcase run the only Century Theatre “The Godfather” opened in was here.

BobT
BobT on June 26, 2005 at 5:06 pm

Newspaper Archive.com has The New York Times and some others from NY but you have to pay to join the site

RobertR
RobertR on June 26, 2005 at 3:44 pm

I guess you could use Proquest, I have looked a lot of things up on there. I have 2 filing cabinets of ads from when I was in the business, and as a kid I also used to cut out the ones for all the movies I saw. I have being photocopying a lot of them and then putting them on disk thats why they don’t look too yellow anymore.

rori
rori on June 26, 2005 at 11:40 am

I am still looking for a photo of the marquee of Century 110 movie theater!

rori
rori on June 26, 2005 at 11:38 am

Where is the website that you can look them up? I love the ad too!

BobT
BobT on June 26, 2005 at 8:43 am

Gosh, I love these ads. Thank You RobertR. I wish there were one website where you could look these up without a monthly fee.

RobertR
RobertR on June 26, 2005 at 5:41 am

Here is a perfect example of the family shows the Century’s 110 was known for.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on May 4, 2005 at 10:19 pm

the town houses is were the drive in was.

moviegoer
moviegoer on May 4, 2005 at 8:28 pm

As for the precise location of the old Smithtown Drive-In, the lines at that intersection are so fuzzy that just because Cue had it listed as Nesconset does not mean for sure it wasn’t Lake Grove. The Pep Boys property doesn’t really seem like it would be big enough.

sasheegm
sasheegm on April 23, 2005 at 8:10 am

As one member mentioned, this drive inn had a great play area for the kids……Its screen was not as bright as the Westbury Drive Inn, but it offered mainly family fare in the 1960s……It was not un-common to see a John Wayne double feature there in the 1960s……and as I mentioned, swings, slides and a playground for the kiddies——It was a great place to go on a Saturday night——or any night for that matter——Joe From Florida—-sasheegm——