United Artists Theatre

45 W. Randolph Street,
Chicago, IL 60601

Rolando
Rolando on December 3, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I remember going to the United Artist to see “Cabaret” when it first came out. Not many people in the theater but my brother, sister and I had a great time. I seem to recall there was a restaurant next door to the U/A and there would be a girl on a swing over the door. Was I dreaming this?

Rolando

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on November 7, 2008 at 1:50 pm

I just noticed that the original marquee in the 1958 photo at this link’s top, had Balaban & Katz in the center. So ABC actually rebuilt the front of the marquee to add their logo.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on October 31, 2008 at 8:31 pm

The coolest thing about the United Artist’s signage was the timed illumination of the ABC portion.
It lit up sequentially just like the ABC & 7 on TV back in the day.
Like timed, scriptive writing in lights. The whole sign was stunning, but that part sticks out in my mind’s eye.

hanksykes
hanksykes on October 22, 2008 at 11:58 am

Owner of the American Sign Museum in Cincinnati,Ohio is from the same family which has published nationally, since before 1900, the sign industry bible entitled ,“Signs Of The Times”.A large marquee would pose a real space eater in an interior museum, of course it might find use as an exterior weather sheild. Maybe White Way knows where the marquee went.

Chicago229
Chicago229 on October 22, 2008 at 9:40 am

I just read an article from Chicago Magazine about White Way Sign Company. It said that while some of the Chicago marquees were lost, some made their way to a museum in Cincinatti called the American Sign Museum; the article did not say which ones are there. I went to the museum’s website and did not find any information on theatre marquees.

I did learn some interesting things about White Way Sign Company from the article, though. Did you know that at 9p.m. every Thursday, about 20 White Way trucks came to the Loop and changed the signboards, going on until as late at 2 and 3a.m.? I always just assumed that the staff of the individual theatres would change the signs, but I guess it does make sense, since it would probably need expert attention. White Way also provided maintenance to the signs, and in fact still overs this service.

Anyway, does anyone know about the American Sign Museum, and which signs it holds?

William
William on October 16, 2008 at 2:17 pm

You would as have to have a Very large basement too for that one.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 16, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Very much doubt it. They usually cut those things up and truck them away. I assume the scrap metal price on them is part of the demolition company’s profit.

Would be cool, however, if one of them did still exist.

Chicago229
Chicago229 on October 16, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Is it possible that the glorious marquee from the UA was salvaged? It would make an interesting artifact if Chicago’s theatre museum ever comes to fruition. And for that matter, how about the great marquees of the Woods, State-Lake, and others?

Perhaps in someone’s basment, these great works of art are collecting dust (?)

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on September 6, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Call the Theatre Historical Society. They can sell you UA lobby pictures, and it won’t cost much. Web site is:

Contact phone numbers and email addresses are listed there.

teddy666
teddy666 on September 5, 2008 at 11:52 pm

This is one of the most tragic theater demolitions next to the Woods being demolished downtown. At least The Woods had the dignity of becoming The Goodman Theater (if that’s anything at all). The United Artist could have remained in that spot until at least 2005. Perhaps if it would’ve been spared, it would have made a lovely play theater. But then again, who really knows? I’d love to see more pictures of that theatre inside. Especially some color photos of the lobby before it closed.

KenC
KenC on August 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm

I agree with hank and David…the United Artists was in very good shape until at least the mid 80s. My last trip was in 1985 to see “RE-ANIMATOR” .It was part of a triple feature.To my eyes, everything looked pretty much the same as it did in the 60s and 70s. Perhaps a few worn seats, perhaps a little dusty here and there, but still a pleasant and comfortable experience. The one exception:rodents! Although I never saw any, there was a problem, according to reports. As John Sanchez noted in his post on 2-12-04, the main auditorium was closed; patrons had to sit in the balcony. In the early 80s this same thing happened to me, sitting in the balcony with about 40 other people, watching a triple horror show. Why the balcony on a weekday afternoon? My only conclusion:mouse traps with cheese scattered around the main floor .Nevertheless, I have very fond memories of the UA. Great movies, no problems.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on August 15, 2008 at 9:13 pm

I remember reading back when the United Artist’s ran the Sensurround film Earthquake, the old structure actually did suffer slightly. To protect the public, mesh netting was quickly hung at ceiling height to catch any pieces of plaster that may have continued to jar loose. Similar to what was done at Wrigley Field a few years back.
If anyone else remembers this quick fix, or can locate an original article about it, maybe they can cite where.

“Scarface” on Christmas Day 1982 or`83, was my last time at the United Artists.
I concur it was still in pretty good shape by then. “Say hello to my little friend”, was uttered only on screen, not at our feet.

hanksykes
hanksykes on January 20, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Someone asked way back in 2005 on this site if any of the United Artists interior remained,well I think that Peter Miller managed to roll up the interior murals from the house and place them in safe storage. Let me add my sad condolences for the demise of the United Artist Th. which was in spledid shape on my last viewing in 1986. R.I.P. United Artist, what a loss!

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on January 8, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Well that answers that question.:)!

Thank you for that answer.

It is just to bad that the UA was torn down i hope that the new theatre that is to be bult on BLK37 will pay respect in some way to the theatres that were on the spot before it .

R2D2
R2D2 on January 8, 2008 at 11:25 pm
I also remember "Star Wars" being there for what seemed like forever the summer it came out, although I had seen it further north at the Esquire.

Forever in this case was 21 weeks. (In comparison, “Star Wars” played for 18 weeks at ESQUIRE. The ESQUIRE booking, by the way, began nine weeks sooner than the UNITED ARTISTS run.)

Broan
Broan on January 8, 2008 at 11:12 pm

As noted in the description, the UA was sold to Balaban and Katz two years after opening, in 1929.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on January 8, 2008 at 11:04 pm

KenC: Thank you for clearing that up for me , now here is the next question…Why did it play at the Chicago , McClurg Court and the Portage but not the UA?

Was the UA still owned by United Artists?

If i am right United Artists did not realy think that it was that good of a movie in the first place (meaning that it was not going to make a lot of money) , is this right ?

Which brings us full circle to the 1st question…Why did it not play at the UA ?

If any one can help i thank you :)
And KenC THANK YOU it help answer that question.

KenC
KenC on January 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm

You’re right, CHI74: “THIEF” opened in Chicago on March 27, 1981. It was released by United Artists. However, it did NOT play the United Artists theatre (at least not first run). “THIEF” played at the Chicago, McClurg Court, and Portage theatres in the city, and a number of suburban theatres and drive-ins. At the Chicago theatre, they had a second feature: “THE FUNHOUSE”.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on January 2, 2008 at 3:35 am

Here is a question for the class…

The Michael Mann flim “THIEF” (1981) staring James Cann,Tuesday Weld,James Belushi,Willie Nelson and Robert Prosky was released in the US on March 27 1981 the studio if i am right was UNITED ARTISTS my question is this did this movie “THIEF” play the UA on March 27 1981 the posting by JRS40 on May 1st 2007 stops on 12/19/1980 this movie was released in 1981 can any one help with this question?

JRS40, Thank you for posting the list thay are very helpfull.

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on December 5, 2007 at 9:42 am

Is there truth to a rumor I heard that a 7 or 8 screen theatre will be built on this site?

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on June 2, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Shoeshoe14 : Thank you for postinthe link so that we can see the cover that shows how big the UAs marquee was .
It is sad that the UA is no longer their.
That record`s cover brings back a whole lot of good times.
Thank you for posting and thank you for you time :)

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on May 7, 2007 at 4:07 pm

I was cleaning out my friend’s record shop last week and saw a cover of some musician named Stephen Alexanderson in a suit, strutting in front of this theatre in a suit. The title was “Let the Music Move Me” and it said Chicago as the studio location and it had United Artists on the marquee. It was from 1977.

RobertR