Commack Drive-In

44 Veterans Memorial Highway,
Commack, NY 11725

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Bloop
Bloop on June 21, 2007 at 6:15 pm

What years did you manage the RKO, L.I.M.? Sounds like “CinemaRadio” era—1982 through 1985? I remember we were at the Nesconsett/Smithtown drive in on the night they were tossing the speakers in a big pile (!) when “CinemaRadio” was just put into action(1982/83?). They told us we could have all we wanted (!), so we threw about a dozen in our trunk. The Nesconsett/Smithtown Drive In often had better double bills than Commack, especially in the late 1970’s, and it was an All-Weather. We watched “Police Academy” in the snow once! At one point the drive in selection of movies was so awful that we realized that we were going to the drive in, just to go to the drive in. LOL. not to actually see a movie. I think me and my friends talked through “Friday the 13th, Part 3” (not in 3-D at the Drive in!, like three times.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 21, 2007 at 4:39 pm

When i managed the rko we would sit on the roof of the theater with a radio and watch the drive in movie for free…..

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 21, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Okay, I found the article again.

FANS AT DRIVE-INS; Two Long Island Theatres Report Capacity Crowds

NY Times September 24, 1957

Two drive-in theatres on Long Island, the nearest points at which a televised version of the fight was shown, reported capacity crowds, with a $3.50 per person admission. No figures were available for the Commack drive-in. Walter Higgins, general managerof the Prudential chain, which also operates that theatre, declined to give the attendance.

The Times doesn’t tell who the fighters were. The only “big” fight that I could find for September of 1957 was Sugar Ray Robinson and Carmen Basilio. That fight took place on September 23, 1957. Sugar Ray lost in a 15 round decision.

So this drive-in was open in 1957.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 21, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Too bad you don’t have anything to post here Bloop.

I would post the article about the televised fight that took place at this drive-in in the 1950s but I don’t remember which theater I originally posted it in. LOL

Bloop
Bloop on June 21, 2007 at 2:11 pm

In the mid 1970’s (junior high) , a good friend of mine lived in the Fairfield Village apartments that faced the Commack Drive In (screen!). So, being that there were no VCR’S available to us back then, we would time the movie, and watch the “good parts” on the next night. I specifically remember (from my ad posted above) timing the “Airport 1975” cockpit crash scene, to watch over and over. When “Frenzy” (was co-featured with Hitchcock’s last film “Family Plot”) we timed the scene where the woman’s shirt opens up. Also it was great seeing “R” rated movies that we could never get into..“Death Race 2000”, “Flesh Gordon”, “Groove Tube”, “Kentucky Fried Movie” and for some reason, the movie “Mother ,Jugs and Speed” stands out as another. Later on by high school (and with a car), I saw the original “Phantasm” there (summer 1979)..and I think the co-feature was…“Kentucky Fried Movie”! Commack was known for lop-sided double features (see my ads!).

Bloop
Bloop on June 21, 2007 at 12:45 pm

SEE SOME ADS FROM THE 1970’s!

Bloop
Bloop on June 21, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Correction above title: The theater was built in the late 1950’s.

Bloop
Bloop on June 21, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Way demolished! But you can’t demolish the memories, no matter how many Verizon and Cingular stores you build on our graves! I have so many memories from the Commack Drive In. The first movie I ever saw there was “Beneath The Planet of the Apes”…in 1970! What really killed drive ins was when they stopped showing double bills! I remember seeing crap like “Back To The Future”, “Never Say Never Again”, “Gremlins”, “HellRaiser” or “The Twilight Zone Movie”,on SINGLE bills in the mid 1980’s before Commack closed. The concession stand had poorly painted Disney and Warner Brothers characters on the walls, inside (which really gave this the old world Drive In theater flavor!). LOL. One last vestige of hope was when they re-released “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” in the early 1980’s and I caught it at the Commack D.I.