Lafayette Theatre

97 Lafayette Avenue,
Suffern, NY 10901

movieguy
movieguy on March 26, 2016 at 11:49 pm

All the movies for the classic series will be in DCP format.

Sam83
Sam83 on March 5, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Saw Zootopia at the Lafayette today – great movie at a great theater. Can’t wait to see the lineup for the classic series. Just wish they would indicate on the lineup which ones will be shown from a Blu-ray instead of DCP.

movieguy
movieguy on March 2, 2016 at 5:13 pm

March 3, 2016 will mark the 92nd year in operation for the Lafayette theater. Still waiting to hear about the classic series that usually begins mid April

Sam83
Sam83 on February 26, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Thanks guys. I believe you are both correct. It will be very expensive to try to do something like this. Not really worth pursuing. I’ll toss the idea out for now. I’ll just settle for watching classic movies shown at other theaters.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on February 26, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I know that the The Landmark Loews Jersey has rented and will rent their historic theatre for film screenings, and assist with booking the film. I do not know what they charge, but it I suspect that it is substantially less than $7K to $10K. Again, you need to call the specific venue that you are interested in to get a realistic idea of whether this is a viable idea.

jovanderlee
jovanderlee on February 26, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Ok, my knowledge is that at MINIMUM it’s at least $7k just to open the doors. Then add facility usage like the projection equipment, sound equipment, minimal stage crew, projectionist, front of house people, ticket booth. etc. Our theater has a major sponsor for their classics. Perhaps you could be that one? Again, why not call the admin office and find out for sure. Ask for Mr. LaMarca. I can NOT get involved in this.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 26, 2016 at 1:56 pm

That’s cheap. LOL

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 26, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Theaters do rent out. $10,000 or so for a film premiere, etc.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 26, 2016 at 1:39 pm

HowardBHaas, I agree to some extent. But theaters make a profit by renting out – especially during times when they are sitting idle. And some of these historic theaters need all the revenue they can get just to stay afloat each year. By renting out, the theater is guaranteed the rental fee regardless of how many come for the show. It is the third party who is taking all the risk by renting – he/she may not even break even.

bolorkay
bolorkay on February 26, 2016 at 1:10 pm

This makes me appreciate even more what Pete and Nelson did with the “Big Screen Classics” program at the Lafayette for so many years.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 26, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I forgot this one is a for profit, but still it cost mucho to operate a theater all year. No reason to pass along discounts if someone is trying to earn a profit leasing it……

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 26, 2016 at 12:45 pm

There are one or two offs in multiplexes (Fathom events) but nationwide so with different economics. Frankly, these calculations are already done- if the nonprofit theater could profit from classic movie screenings, they’d do them. They are members of national organizations & they know what their competition does. Some will charge a set fee to let you choose the classic screening but that’s only the choice of film. As to rate, they have no interest in your intruding so there are no rates for this purpose. Birthday party, sure. You to profit off a classic screening: No.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 26, 2016 at 12:32 pm

HowardBHaas, I see your point. Historic theaters are the only ones capable of having seat capacity of 800+ so they are ideal for a single show (in case 400 or come for the show). As a rough ballpark figure, how much do you think a historic theater would charge for rental?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 26, 2016 at 10:06 am

Classic movie screenings anywhere are often lucky if they recover merely the cost of the film rental! If you pro rate the expenses of running a theater (staff, utilities, tax, etc)& then charge you the appropriate rent, you won’t be renting any historic theater to show classic films!!

jovanderlee
jovanderlee on February 26, 2016 at 9:56 am

You can go to their website and there are phone numbers to contact the administrative offices directly. I can not get in the middle of rental negotiations. Not being difficult , just that I have no say in any of that whatsoever.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 26, 2016 at 8:45 am

jovanderlee, if you have direct contact with management at Barvadon, perhaps you can find out if they will even consider the idea of allowing a third party to host a classic movie on their theater.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 26, 2016 at 8:41 am

Thanks jovanderlee. Maybe I will give them a call and see. I emailed them and got no response. I would think it would be beneficial to the theater too since it would be more revenue for them. But of course I have never had a theater host a movie for me so I don’t know all the details.

jovanderlee
jovanderlee on February 26, 2016 at 5:55 am

I don’t want to seem snarky, but as I said previously – look at my earlier posting, where I indicate 35MM is shown sporadically. However, to save the effort, here it is:

About 45 min. North East of Suffern is the Bardavon 1869 opera house in Poughkeepsie. They have a fully functioning 35 MM platter projector. They also have DCP mostly used for High Def broadcasts. Lately they have been using mostly digital format for their classic movie series which is only about 6 times a year. They also have a major sponsor that holds the price to $6. The bar and candy counter also help out. But NO FOOD allowed in the theater. Of course they are a different operation with full stage capabilities and mucho sponsors. Renting it is not impossible, but costly. The Exec. Director is a genius at fund raising and keeping the place in the black. I think he continually squeezes out every available dollar at both the State and the Federal level, since the Board registering the Theatre as a National Historic Site, and being a not for profit corporation. He also purchased another theater in Kingston – further up the line, about 10? years back. It is doing well too – same modus operandus. AND we have the original Wurlitzer pipe organ! I am its curator. We’re also home to the Hudson Valley Philharmonic. This year’s fund raiser features ‘Santana’. Tickets start at $125. Come visit some time!

Sam83
Sam83 on February 25, 2016 at 8:01 pm

jovanderlee, do you know if the Bardavon shows its classic films in 35 mm?

jovanderlee
jovanderlee on February 23, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Look at my previous posting on the Bardavon I’m the organ curator

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 23, 2016 at 4:51 pm

The Bardovan has its own page here so please post there. Quick google search does indicate it has as recently as 2013 boasted of showing 35mm, so probably still doing so.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 23, 2016 at 4:26 pm

The Bardavon 1869 opera house appears to be showing classic movies on a regular basis (Friday evenings). I wonder if they are showing 35 mm. Anyone been there who can confirm?

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on February 23, 2016 at 3:39 pm

The idea is feasible, but rather costly. Email is not the best way to get information, they tend to be ignored. Phone and ask the manager who to contact about a rental, or better yet, go in person.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 23, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Emailed a couple of theaters about renting/showing classic movie and got no response back. LOL. I guess the idea is not really feasible for an individual.

Sam83
Sam83 on February 17, 2016 at 10:18 am

Got it. Thanks guys. It would be a lot of fun to be able to choose a classic film myself that I think will bring a lot of folks and have a theater show it to see how it does. Would be well worth it if I break even or make a few extra bucks.