Pantages Theatre

6233 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

William
William on May 1, 2008 at 9:45 am

That’s the North West corner property, afew doors from the Vine Theatre.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Here is a 1959 photo from the UCLA collection:

stevebob
stevebob on April 25, 2008 at 8:14 am

I’ve never seen those rear doors before, and can’t even guess where they are located.

I wonder how much of the decorative treatment there is original. In any case, it’s nice to see the consistent use of the Hobo (aka Homeward Bound) typeface for the “Pantages” name.

BhillH20
BhillH20 on March 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm

I’m wondering if those are the original wooden entrance doors or if they were replaced at some earlier time?

stevebob
stevebob on March 13, 2008 at 5:13 pm

This picture from UCLA’s collection is the exterior during the 1963 roadshow engagement of Cleopatra.

Of particular interest is the modernization that removed the frou frou art deco neon at the sides and bottom edge of the marquee and completely concealed the elaborate soffit behind a dropped ceiling with recessed lighting. (The ticket booth was also relocated from the center of the outer lobby to a side wall.)

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 18, 2008 at 8:16 pm

You may be right. I’m going home. A pleasant holiday weekend to all.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 18, 2008 at 8:07 pm

The LAPL photos are mostly street scenes. I think the California State Library has interior photos of many theaters, but I don’t recall if the Pantages was one of them.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 18, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Here is a vintage photo from the LAPL. Ignore the fake Christmas tree in the foreground:

jeffdonaldson
jeffdonaldson on December 22, 2007 at 2:14 am

On July 1, 1963 I sat in the center of the front row of that magnificent balcony and watched the animated opening credits of “Cleopatra.” I was so impressed. What a great place to see the big road show event. Two years later I sat in the same place and watched “The Pawnbroker” and it played just as well as the big films. I went there a number of other times and the Pantages always provided the best film-going experience..

Bway
Bway on December 3, 2007 at 7:22 am

Wow the place looks great!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 18, 2007 at 5:39 pm

There was a story about the Pantages in the LA Times today. Nederlander has a deal with a developer for a luxury home development on the adjacent property. No community opposition so far.

richardzeller
richardzeller on June 26, 2007 at 8:41 pm

Jennie Rupp was the manager of the Pantages for many years.I lost my apartment while working there as an usher in the early sixies. Jennie allowed me to live backstage for 2 months until I could find another place. I’ll never forget her and her kindness.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 25, 2007 at 2:13 pm

This is from an interesting blog – author unknown, so thanks to whomever:

Bway
Bway on March 5, 2007 at 3:33 am

Here’s a current photo of the Pantages Theater I found online:

Click here for photo

Bway
Bway on February 19, 2007 at 9:51 am

i figured it out, that’s the Vine theater.

Bway
Bway on February 19, 2007 at 9:13 am

Does anyone know which theater this theater is in this aerial photo? It’s between Ivar and Vine, one block west of the Pantages. You can see it’s triangular marquee:

Bway
Bway on February 19, 2007 at 9:12 am

Here’s an aerial view of the Pantages. It’s vast size is readily aparent:

BobHarlow
BobHarlow on February 17, 2007 at 8:07 am

Only saw one movie there “Operation Petticoat” . Loved the theater!

William
William on January 4, 2007 at 8:50 am

JSA, The Egyptian is run as a film screening venue. They program the house like AFI venues. There is very little left of the original interior decor left. Most people will remember the Egyptian Theatre as the Home of the Long Running Hits or as their catch line was “Where the Stars See the Movies”. When I was last in the booth, two of them were in running shape and ran well. Someday :)

JSA
JSA on November 3, 2006 at 1:13 pm

William,

I know this may be heresy to some, but what about the Egyptian? Granted, it is not the grand palace it used to be, but from time to time, their programming is quite good. Hollywood Blvd boasts the Chinese, El Capitan, Egyptian, Hollywood Pacific (closed for now) and Pantages, and all within a half-mile stretch.

I look forward to the day when the Norelcos are put to use at the Pantages!

Regards,
JSA

Vito
Vito on November 3, 2006 at 8:06 am

Oh yes, I did not mention some of still functioning legit theatres and of course the Beacon. There is also the St.George,
a fairly well restored palace on Staten Island which is used as a concert venue. I think the Brooklyn Paramoun twhich except for the main audutorium floor (a gym I nelieve) is also mostly intact. Also in Brooklyn, the Loew’s Kings which is still intact but in bad shape and in desperate need of some love and resoration.

William
William on November 3, 2006 at 7:19 am

Vito, don’t forget the Beacon (concerts/special events) and the Mark Hellinger (church) and the Loew’s Wonder Theatres (churches except the Jersey City (films/special events).

I’m jealous, I use to live there. Now I’m here in NYC too.

Vito
Vito on November 3, 2006 at 7:08 am

Oh well now your just showin off :)
All the old great NY theatres: Roxy, Paramount, Rivoli,
Loew’s State, and Capital are sadly gone.
All that remains is Radio City Music Hall, which is for the most part used for concerts, and the Palace, which runs very much like the Pantages. Also there is the Ziegfeld, which is a movie house and while it cannot be considered a palace. It is one of, if not the last, single screen theatre in NY.
Thanks for info William, I am so jealous.